Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

MY TRANSMISSION REPAIR 8hp90

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
I don't know about others but from talking to curt these transmissions are having problems,,as I stated in the post earlier I believ I caused mine
You think you caused it by doing a pull on street or in sport mode? No way (if that was the case I would be on 6th A8).

There are a few quick A8's that have not had any issues, Omega (has run 8.9s), Summit (just ran a 8.9). Then there is me, it is only part of the drive train that I have not killed I is the A8. This is just to name a few.

Omega and I have the same Curt TCM tune as you.

For these reasons, I say why this happened to you is as clear as mud.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Well then the next go to is Redline D6 ... Used by Coan and alot of others..I used it in my NAG 1
Redline is a good product.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #83
You think you caused it by doing a pull on street or in sport mode? No way (if that was the case I would be on 6th A8).

There are a few quick A8's that have not had any issues, Omega (has run 8.9s), Summit (just ran a 8.9). Then there is me, it is only part of the drive train that I have not killed I is the A8. This is just to name a few.

Omega and I have the same Curt TCM tune as you.

For these reasons, I say why this happened to you is as clear as mud.
I logged in street mode only Cole , I was saying had I logged in sport or track mode I probably would not had this issue, before I went to ethanol and changed the rear diff I never had an issue but with the hard pulls in the interstate with the 2.65 pulley in street mode that’s the only explanation I have. , that being said I could be wrong it may possibly have a solenoid as the underlying issue , either way the E and D clutches are burnt and I have to fix it

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #84
And Cole if you have an idea as to why it happened please feel free to explain
I’m open to any helpful info

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
I think this thread is great, very informative.

I will tell you what I know, up the line pressure and the A8 will shift so hard it can break the tires lose on shifts and kill the pass. Turn off torque management and the clutches will get burned. Have the transmission do a lazy shift (for whatever reason) on the strip (on a hit) and it will burn the clutches (over time).

So that we are all on the same page, torque management is a fancy way of saying the PCM pulls timing for a milli second or so during the shift so that the torque is reduced, greatly reducing the wear on the clutches.

It has NOT BEEN demonstrated that any of the aftermarket built A8 are any stronger than the factory unit.

Your data log can tell how quickly the shifts were (are) and that can provide insight on whether the shifts are taking too long, causing excessive heat and wear. If the shifts are slower than published, test the solenoids (if possible) or replace them (if available). IMO, get the A8 back together, crank up the line pressure and data log. If the shifts are still slow, the problem is in the command or solenoids.

I do not have your skill set to rebuild my own A8 so my solution was to purchase a very low mileage A8 to just replace mine when it starts screwing up. I am treating them as throw away because they can be purchased with low mileage under 3K (much cheaper than rebuilding them).

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #86
On my last two runs the torque management showed up in the logs after the 1-2 upshift also the 2-3 shift would shift at 7000 instead of 6500 but I do agree that solenoids could be a concern because all the zf units I rebuild get a new solenoid kit but with mine having such low mileage I wouldn’t think they’d be suspect but then again I’ve seen new parts bad time and time again , I was already planning on sourcing new ones

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
On my last two runs the torque management showed up in the logs after the 1-2 upshift also the 2-3 shift would shift at 7000 instead of 6500 but I do agree that solenoids could be a concern because all the zf units I rebuild get a new solenoid kit but with mine having such low mileage I wouldn’t think they’d be suspect but then again I’ve seen new parts bad time and time again , I was already planning on sourcing new ones

One thing I forgot to mention is the speed the hellcat is accelerating becomes a factor, install a 3.09 or numerically higher gear and the computers have a hard keeping up (the acceleration in rpms through 1st gear) in a really quick hellcat. That is one of the reasons I run a 2.62.

I say this is as clear as mud is because there are so many factors at play here and the ones with really good data or information don't share.

BTW, the Speedcore Demon (twin turbo, carbon fiber panels) best is 8.66 or so, why isn't it quicker? I think the A8 is a source of headaches on that car. Just an observation, spit balling here

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I'm really glad I don't have the power you guys make . my transmission should be fine .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Very informative, following to see outcome. Curious as to the gains of using Demon converter, just more stall, or other benefits as well?

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Incredibly good thread. Thanks @hellno. I'm an M6 but this stuff is so informative, interesting and useful. I did one 727 in high school out of an Imperial. All I can say is that thing looks massive internally by comparison. Did not even realize it alternated clutches between gears. I thought it was evenly distributed equally in all gears to increase surface area before you posted graph. Amazing it can even take that much abuse on a stock part. The steals are burnt but not that bad. I'd think they'd be smoked with launches and power like that. (Cole says they can take more. wow). Excellent thread and presentation.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Can the mods sticky this thread. I don't remember ever seeing a thread this in depth on the A8 even on the other forum.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Can the mods sticky this thread. I don't remember seeing ever seeing a thread this in depth on the A8 even on the other forum.
Done! (y)

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
This is the alto clutch and steel modules that I will be replacing my factory ones with View attachment 7421
Hellno your a sneaky guy......I see that converter is giving us the finger.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #94
Hellno your a sneaky guy......I see that converter is giving us the finger.
Lmao I was wondering how long but would take for someone to notice that

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Lmao I was wondering how long but would take for someone to notice that
Mark doesn't miss stuff like that ....... Because that's what he would do !

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #96
Here’s a pic of the solenoid set up and identity of each solenoid there is a green solenoid on the valve body that is for park function only, I’m shipping the solenoids out today to my friend Noah at Ericsson industries to have the solenoids flow tested , this will be critical as I have found out the solenoids are NOT available separately, you would have to buy the Valvebody from Chrysler at a cost of around 2,000 I will know next week how they tested and of course I have my fingers crossed that they pass with flying colors 7B975174-E70B-4312-AE11-8C0E3DBC4649.jpeg

Last edited:

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
One thing I forgot to mention is the speed the hellcat is accelerating becomes a factor, install a 3.09 or numerically higher gear and the computers have a hard keeping up (the acceleration in rpms through 1st gear) in a really quick hellcat. That is one of the reasons I run a 2.62.

I say this is as clear as mud is because there are so many factors at play here and the ones with really good data or information don't share.

BTW, the Speedcore Demon (twin turbo, carbon fiber panels) best is 8.66 or so, why isn't it quicker? I think the A8 is a source of headaches on that car. Just an observation, spit balling here
I covered this in another thread (think it was when Speedy caused his engine overrev) people fail to recognize that this a hydraulic pump and it's abilities and limitations are dictated by the physics of that system; including the acceleration rate. You can influence it's behavior with mechanical changes, but even then it is only within the limits of the electronics.

This is why folks are going to proven analogue slush boxes when the thresholds are exceeded.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #98
I covered this in another thread (think it was when Speedy caused his engine overrev) people fail to recognize that this a hydraulic pump and it's abilities and limitations are dictated by the physics of that system; including the acceleration rate. You can influence it's behavior with mechanical changes, but even then it is only within the limits of the electronics.

This is why folks are going to proven analogue slush boxes when the thresholds are exceeded.
That wouldn’t explain how mike @ostdyno is spinning them up to 7500 rpm

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
im adding the demon converter
Are you shopping for one or already have it?

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #100
Are you shopping for one or already have it?
I have one being shipped as we speak 👍😃