Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Manual Transmissions Are The Best!

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Just for @motorhead LOL We'll get him back in this thread!

View attachment 9493
Wasting time. He took the comments personally but it’s not about the driver or skill. It’s just about which trans is the better one. OP did not like the answer.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I don't even know why this topic is even debatable. Not much to debate.

A8 is the mechanically stronger, better geared, and quicker transmission that holds more power with mods vs the A8. The M6 will destroy the factory clutch on stock power with just some drag radial launches. The only legitimate argument is the "fun factor" which is subjective. Otherwise A8 reigns supreme. If you're an M6 racer and you're hoping for the luck draw of lining up to a crappy auto driver, good luck with that. Racing a manual especially in things like bracket racing is like fighting with one arm tied behind your back. Can you do it? Sure, but why put yourself at a disadvantage?

My argument for the fun factor is that fun for me is winning, lol. Plus as I've said before it's not that I don't like manuals (I do). I just especially don't like this one that Dodge chose to put in the Hellcat. With bad gearing, notchy shifting, a CDV to help novice drivers (lol), and a clutch that can't even hold factory power. M6 drivers can talk crap about us A8 guys not having any talent, but where's your talent when you lose over and over? I just hear excuses. Oh and I love the "Well my M6 makes more power at the dyno than your A8 comment too". Haha, okay dyno queen let me know how great that works out for you on the road when it's needed.

I tell all my friends who like Hellcats to drive both then choose. Even if you're a manual guy (like I was), drive both before you end up like me back at the dealer getting the car you really wanted!
AAWWW..just buy both

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
Modern cars.

automatic is faster
Manual is slower.
Fact

if you wanna win. Get an auto.
For old guys with nostalgia, I see the need for a manual.
One of my cars is a manual. They are fun to drive. But not gonna keep up when the money counts.
thank you, im 60 and the M6 hellcat brings me back to the old days. with a lot more power. lol

Last edited:

salopian

Founding Member
Military Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Challenger 2016
Dont know what im walking into......But i find the box a bit crap. Its very clunky and sometimes when you are giving it a bit of welly you really have to find the gear and force it in otherwise it pops out, perhaps im still getting used to the car.

I have a purchased a barton shifter paid shit loads in import tax for this thing, please tell me this will cure the problems and make it more smoother. As it stands i waited months in finding and importing a manual and slightly regretting my decision.

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Thread Starter #165
Dont know what im walking into......But i find the box a bit crap. Its very clunky and sometimes when you are giving it a bit of welly you really have to find the gear and force it in otherwise it pops out, perhaps im still getting used to the car.

I have a purchased a barton shifter paid shit loads in import tax for this thing, please tell me this will cure the problems and make it more smoother. As it stands i waited months in finding and importing a manual and slightly regretting my decision.
You gotta be mean with it. I have a Barton on the shelf which I will install in the Spring - and from what I have read you need to use even more effort with the Barton (especially 5th and 6th).

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
You gotta be mean with it. I have a Barton on the shelf which I will install in the Spring - and from what I have read you need to use even more effort with the Barton (especially 5th and 6th).
Yeah not a Honda or bmw. You do really have to throw it kinda hard

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I think you m6 guys just like holding something in your hand 😂😂

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #168
I think you m6 guys just like holding something in your hand 😂😂
Yes, we do: big tits.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #171
But we have both hands free for that
Really I thought it was for a burger and fries? :p

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Remove the 5-6 centering spring BEFORE installation and you’ll love it!!

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #174
You are gonna need a custom shift handle! LOL
Back when we were dating (13 years ago) I used to baffle my wife with my ability to drive stick and still do two other things with my hands (shift gears, use a phone, and drink a coffee). The car didn't have cup holders and hands free hadn't been invented yet... and she couldn't drive the car. So grabbing some boobies would have been a breeze.

Last edited:
OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #175
Remove the 5-6 centering spring BEFORE installation and you’ll love it!!
I read about that mod. I wasn't convinced. Thanks - I'll give it some more contemplation.

Also - how did you guys get me posting in this thread again?! LOL.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Back when we were dating (13 years ago) I used to baffle my wife with my ability to drive stick and still do two other things with my hands (shift gears, use a phone, and drink a coffee). The car didn't cup holders and hands free hadn't been invented yet... and she couldn't drive the car. So grabbing some boobies would have been a breeze.
The good old days!!
Try that with the kids in the car!

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
The good old days!!
A necker’s knob and bench seats. No door huggers allowed.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I read about that mod. I wasn't convinced. Thanks - I'll give it some more contemplation.

Also - how did you guys get me posting in this thread again?! LOL.
After you install it give us a complete review. I’m seriously considering it but honestly I don’t track the car(for now) and the notchy hard shifts don’t bother me anymore. For me the stock works fine for everything I do and i’m contemplating the upgrade

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Bro, that would be eating me alive!
I don't know if I could wait that long.
Had a touch of semi dry pavement yesterday and still had to do a little bit of(useless) test and tune.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I have read many posts about the M6 being notchy, clutch being too heavy, blah, blah...
I mean really.
I driven lots of manual cars in my life, American, German, Japanese, Italian, Swedish...and I find the HC box to be excellent.
I had an original MR2 and that shifter was touted as being extremely slick. Two 944 Turbos, both with perfectly servicable sticks, but nothing amazing. And the setup on the NSX, again everything on that car was cooed over, including the shifter, but again nothing particularly amazing to me.
The HC shifter and clutch are stout. They seem to perform best with firm and accurate actuations. I've never had it pop out of gear or do any other unsavory behavior. Frankly, I love it.