Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Manual Transmissions Are The Best!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You haven't lived until you have lost the use of a clutch in traffic.

I managed to get the car limped off the highway and into the mall parking lot by leaving the car in gear and using the starter to drive the engine ...
I commuted to work with a crappy car, three on the tree, non-synchro 1st, for about four months. That drive took me through the Capitol, by the way.

And your example above is another reason I don't like all the current nannies. You can't crank your way to anywhere when the starter won't work without the clutch being pushed it.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
You haven't lived until you have lost the use of a clutch in traffic.

As an aside (but still related), many years ago, I lost fuel pressure (it was the fuel pump going out) in my Turbo Dodge Sundance in rush hour traffic. I was Eastbound on the 401 by Allen Road just off the Yorkdale Mall, if you know the area that is NOT the kind of place you want to have a disabled car. I managed to get the car limped off the highway and into the mall parking lot by leaving the car in gear and using the starter to drive the engine which was mechanically linked (via the clutch to the trans) to the wheels which gave some forward motion. Try doing that with an automatic.

Most people have so little mechanical sense they don't even check their own oil or pump their own gas.
Ah stories of tricks with a manual. I was in college in Ann Arbor and had a TR6. Starter would turn, but not engage to crank the motor. I was too broke to fix it. Needed to get to Beaumont, Tx spring break. One of my female roommates (about 5 ft nothin and 100#) and I headed off with plan to push start at every stop for sleep, gas, etc. Made the trip there and back without a glitch. Try that with an automatic. Pretty wild, fun trip! I think that little adventure is part of my love of manuals. Fastest isn't always best!

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
A friend of mine let me drive his 1969 4 speed RoadRunner. When I power shifted 1-2 (that's shifting with the gas gas pedal to the floor versus speed shifting for those of you who have never done it) he went bananas. He thought I was breaking his car! He took it to the drags one time and s best of 14.06. I offered to get it down to 13.5 for him but he wouldn’t let me drive it again!:LOL:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Ah stories of tricks with a manual. I was in college in Ann Arbor and had a TR6. Starter would turn, but not engage to crank the motor. I was too broke to fix it. Needed to get to Beaumont, Tx spring break. One of my female roommates (about 5 ft nothin and 100#) and I headed off with plan to push start at every stop for sleep, gas, etc. Made the trip there and back without a glitch. Try that with an automatic. Pretty wild, fun trip! I think that little adventure is part of my love of manuals. Fastest isn't always best!
Love the story (adventure are great!), but I disagree with that last bit. :) And did you make her do all the pushing so you could work the clutch?

8dd08f164052d80adfe8f1c30e41ec03c3d15ed6_hq.gif

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Love the story (adventure are great!), but I disagree with that last bit. :) And did you make her do all the pushing so you could work the clutch?

View attachment 10699
Pretty flat grade most gas stations, both pushing! But I did most of the pushing otherwise. She was cool, knew how to manage a clutch.