Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Manual Transmissions Are The Best!

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Thread Starter #121
I don’t know where you got the 3 tenths figure but that A8 driver must have been scratching his balls . Just when you think the manual drivers are having more fun .
https://www.dodge.com/assets/pdf/brochure/2016challenger.pdf

The most powerful and fastest muscle car. Ever.[2]The statement is bold and the numbers behind it robust enough to support it: 707 horsepower, 650 lb-ft of torque, a bewildering quarter-mile time* of 10.8 seconds and a top speed of 199 mph.

https://www.mideast.dodge.com/en/2019/challenger/srt.html

The Challenger SRT® Hellcat rules supreme with a quarter-mile time of 11.2 seconds( Disclosure1) and a top speed of 1.1 L/100Km

https://blog.dodge.com/vehicles/challenger-srt-hellcat-widebody/index.html

On the track, the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody boasts a top speed of 195 mph, and 0-60 mph acceleration improved by .1 second (3.4 in Widebody vs. 3.5 in standard Hellcat). Even more, the ¼-mile elapsed time (ET) improved by approximately .3 sec (10.9 ET in Widebody vs. 11.2 ET in standard Hellcat), while the road course lap time on a 1.7-mile track lowered by approximately 2 seconds per lap. Lateral skid pad grip increased by .04 g (.97 g in Widebody vs. .93 g in standard Hellcat).

The publications have some pretty broad discrepencies between the actual performance potential of the Challenger HC, eh? So should we just assume that it is the M6 that punches out the 10.80, since a large quantity of M6 HCs were produced between 2015 and 2016 and were very popular, as the brochure suggests? Or can we all be reasonable and assume the "standard" *cough*manual*cough* HC in 2019 runs an 11.2 and the widebooty is A8 equipped and runs 10.9s?

I did say not to compare spec sheets, but you asked, so there you go. More speculation.

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #122
manuals vs auto. The manual will lose.
There is no comparison on the capability.
You may have the absolute best stick driver vs a anyone. And the stick driver will never keep up, except the odd chance it has more power and they hit the shifts with absolute perfection every time.
Dick Landy would like to have a word with you... from the grrrrraaaaaave! The girl in the middle of the video is pretty good too.

Cannot imagine trying to impress a girl these days with your sweet paddle shifting ability... assuming she even looks up from her phone. LOL.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
You are kidding yourself if you buy an M6 Hellcat if you are planning to go drag racing.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Dick Landy would like to have a word with you... from the grrrrraaaaaave! The girl in the middle of the video is pretty good too.

Cannot imagine trying to impress a girl these days with your sweet paddle shifting ability... assuming she even looks up from her phone. LOL.
what a tool

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
https://www.dodge.com/assets/pdf/brochure/2016challenger.pdf

The most powerful and fastest muscle car. Ever.[2]The statement is bold and the numbers behind it robust enough to support it: 707 horsepower, 650 lb-ft of torque, a bewildering quarter-mile time* of 10.8 seconds and a top speed of 199 mph.

https://www.mideast.dodge.com/en/2019/challenger/srt.html

The Challenger SRT® Hellcat rules supreme with a quarter-mile time of 11.2 seconds( Disclosure1) and a top speed of 1.1 L/100Km

https://blog.dodge.com/vehicles/challenger-srt-hellcat-widebody/index.html

On the track, the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody boasts a top speed of 195 mph, and 0-60 mph acceleration improved by .1 second (3.4 in Widebody vs. 3.5 in standard Hellcat). Even more, the ¼-mile elapsed time (ET) improved by approximately .3 sec (10.9 ET in Widebody vs. 11.2 ET in standard Hellcat), while the road course lap time on a 1.7-mile track lowered by approximately 2 seconds per lap. Lateral skid pad grip increased by .04 g (.97 g in Widebody vs. .93 g in standard Hellcat).

The publications have some pretty broad discrepencies between the actual performance potential of the Challenger HC, eh? So should we just assume that it is the M6 that punches out the 10.80, since a large quantity of M6 HCs were produced between 2015 and 2016 and were very popular, as the brochure suggests? Or can we all be reasonable and assume the "standard" *cough*manual*cough* HC in 2019 runs an 11.2 and the widebooty is A8 equipped and runs 10.9s?

I did say not to compare spec sheets, but you asked, so there you go. More speculation.
I really don’t understand what your getting at . It’s not a bravado thing it’s just modern technology. Bring your M6 to a track and watch some average Joe put a car length on you every time you change gear . It will still be fun plenty do it , that how I know .

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #126
You are kidding yourself if you buy an M6 Hellcat if you are planning to go drag racing.
Man... I guess my Summer is going to suck, eh?

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #127
I really don’t understand what your getting at . It’s not a bravado thing it’s just modern technology. Bring your M6 to a track and watch some average Joe put a car length on you every time you change gear . It will still be fun plenty do it , that how I know .
You do know that the average Joe HC owner never even leaves the house with his/her car, much less takes it to the track and races it, right?

Unless stock A8 HC owners are contracting Leah Pritchett to drive for them there is a pretty low probability they'll accomplish anything ever. Oh, wait, that is a hired hotshoe... not an inexperienced twat. My point is: Talent in a race is more critical than the transmission type in the car. Refute it.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’m sure you can have some fun but don’t know how competitive (consistent) you can be. I guess you can make some mods like shifter, tires and rear diff brace to make it better but here’s a quote from Hemirunner this August. He has another car that goes 9.50’s @140 mph so he knows what he is doing
No burn out, drove around the water. Stock M6 car and the first time at the track with a clutch car in 15 years. I put it track mode and launched it. I quickly figured out that the clutch sucks and after investigating this site, learned of the “clutch delay valve”... anyway, went 12.11@120 with a crappy 2.0 60’ time... should’ve got the A8 lol.
And a suggestion comment about the clutch delay valve
Just remove the CDV. Problem solved. Best to do this while car is new, before unnecessary clutch and PP wear.
On the other hand, you don’t have to worry about that with the A8...

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Tnx, real info.
On your comment 1-3 gearing on M6, do you mean the 1st to 2nd lockout that only occurs with such shifts if they occur, i think, between 19 and 21 mph?
Your right its just the modern technology...….we now longer have to re jet at night from day time set ups...we no longer have to reset or re check valve lash..we no longer tune by the seat of our pants..we have computers that monitor shift points..traction controls that limit wheel spin...fuel management systems that monitor everything...and do everthing…oh yeah we still get to cut a light...(for now)…dont mind me...it just the lament of the 70's racer in me...lol

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Here, let me throw some gas on the fire

:ROFLMAO:

(Regarding power anyway, and when I say power, I'm referring to power from a technical, physics, standpoint.)

First, I readily accept that A8s are QUICKER than M6s, always have.

But, I've shown over and over that my M6 Challenger is FASTER than A8 Chargers (stock power) in the Standing Mile, this even with the higher aero Cd of the Challenger.

:p:cool:

(Those who are exceptionally well versed in power versus aero will understand why this is true for THIS set of conditions.)

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
You do know that the average Joe HC owner never even leaves the house with his/her car, much less takes it to the track and races it, right?

Unless stock A8 HC owners are contracting Leah Pritchett to drive for them there is a pretty low probability they'll accomplish anything ever. Oh, wait, that is a hired hotshoe... not an inexperienced twat. My point is: Talent in a race is more critical than the transmission type in the car. Refute it.
There is some truth to your theory although I would call it practice/ desire/ science with some talent thrown in . Lots of normal blokes with these incredible cars driving to and punching out great numbers at the track now days. I went with a friend a few weeks ago hoping to break into the tens ( Hellcat + pulley change ) , with a bit of advice and a push he banged out a few 10.3 . I think the car is capable of 9s
Talent will only get you so far , the A8 is a weapon .

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #132
I guess you can make some mods to make it better but here’s a quote from Hemirunner this August. He has another car that goes 9.50’s @140 mph so he knows what he is doing
No burn out, drove around the water. Stock M6 car and the first time at the track with a clutch car in 15 years. I put it track mode and launched it. I quickly figured out that the clutch sucks and after investigating this site, learned of the “clutch delay valve”... anyway, went 12.11@120 with a crappy 2.0 60’ time... should’ve got the A8 lol.
And a suggestion comment about the clutch delay valve
Just remove the CDV. Problem solved. Best to do this while car is new, before unnecessary clutch and PP wear.
I am not entirely sure how this became about me? But... okay I'll bite. Yes, I have a few select mods waiting for my car: tires, wheels, a shifter, some weight reduction, and most likely a CDV delete too. The goal is a 10.9@whateverhappens on stock power. And I am willing to bet that in a race (not just an ET dick measuring contest) that with a little practice I will be competitive with this car against another stock A8 HC on a tire. I have over 20 years of racing experience under my belt... I just hope I don't embarrass myself (and this community in the process).

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Some good news is that you can expect some fast ET’s because, based on Moparjim’s times, we know that the tracks in Canada are all shorter and downhill compared to the US tracks! :p

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #134
There is some truth to your theory although I would call it practice/ desire/ science with some talent thrown in . Lots of normal blokes with these incredible cars driving to and punching out great numbers at the track now days. I went with a friend a few weeks ago hoping to break into the tens ( Hellcat + pulley change ) , with a bit of advice and a push he banged out a few 10.3 . I think the car is capable of 9s
Talent will only get you so far , the A8 is a weapon .
I think your sample size is smaller than you believe given the fact the most activity we see is localized on the internet and outside of this community you just never really experience it. It is a false truth, in my opinion. Also, we are talking stock for stock, not power-based modifications, in a race A to B (air strip, drag strip, wheel to wheel) where talent has to be displayed.

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #135
Some good news is that you can expect some fast ET’s because, based on Moparjim’s times, we know that the tracks in Canada are all shorter and downhill compared to the US tracks! :p
Pfft... I am racing Jim just so I can pick up his tailwind.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
If you think back, it’s not about you. It’s about your claim that M6 transmissions are the best. You could be the best racer but the discussion is about the M6 trans. Not too many people here agree about the trans. I don’t believe anybody has doubted your racing skills. Your claim is that your skill will make up for not having the better trans for drag racing. Personally, I’ve been racing for over 50 years. Used to have a 64 Hemi Dodge 330 aluminum super stock car with a Doug Nash 4 speed, 14 1/2 x 32” slicks on 14” wide wheels, coming off the line at over 6,000 rpm’s and wish I had an A8 in it back then! Honest.

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
Mate you obviously have some very strong opinions it will be interesting to know how you feel after getting some seat time . As for having a limited sample group I enjoy getting to as many tracks as possible and you couldn’t throw a cat without hitting multiple Challengers , I know exactly where my car and ability is at . A1580254-C5D2-4BAC-88BC-C2A27DC5D1AC.png 493C35B6-B8EE-4BED-A8D5-0DA335760369.png

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Here, let me throw some gas on the fire

:ROFLMAO:

(Regarding power anyway, and when I say power, I'm referring to power from a technical, physics, standpoint.)

First, I readily accept that A8s are QUICKER than M6s, always have.

But, I've shown over and over that my M6 Challenger is FASTER than A8 Chargers (stock power) in the Standing Mile, this even with the higher aero Cd of the Challenger.

:p:cool:

(Those who are exceptionally well versed in power versus aero will understand why this is true for THIS set of conditions.)
Careful now law dog...I;m startin to like you...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Careful now law dog...I;m startin to like you...

Don't worry, I'll ruin it before too long.

:p

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Heres my take on this hot topic and thread.
Which transmission is Best, the title of this thread, is too subjective to ever have a definitive answer. It is, however, fun to rake the topic over the coals. See pages 1-7, lol.
The thread pretty quickly became which is fastest, with fastest being measured in 1/4 mile runs.
I'll use MH as the prototype driver since he kicked it all off. With a little leeway on reality...
MH takes 10+ runs in the HC M6 to get comfortable. Then 10+ runs in HC A8.
Same power, tires, and weight, same track.
Then, MH races himself (yes, some liberties please).
At the tree MHA8 and MHM6 have same reaction time, same killer instincts.
Lights go green....
MHA8 rolls onto throttle and hooks up sooner than best effort of MHM6. Faster start, then better gearing of MHA8 puts him well ahead of MHM6.
MHA8 keeps throttle mashed to floor and picks up more distance on MHM6, despite some M6 gearing advantages (!) at various speeds, on the way to the finish. The MHA8 shift speed besting the even expert MHM6 shifting.
MHA8 wins every time.