Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Looking to buy a trailer and need feedback.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I have husky straps from Home Depot 😊
Tho my axle / wheel straps are rhino

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Nice! You sure wouldn't find that at Tractor Supply.
(Sorry, BULL)

I'm not in love with them, I was just curious what your take on them was.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I had this is myself...

5k or 10k straps

Awesome

But at the end of the day, the weakest link in the chain is probably the tie-down itself, and I have little faith in most of them.

If not the tie-down itself, the tiny ass hardware bolting it down

And bolting down to what?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I had this is myself...

5k or 10k straps

Awesome

But at the end of the day, the weakest link in the chain is probably the tie-down itself, and I have little faith in most of them.

In my trailer, the crossmember.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger

I agree. Factory anchor points are often pitiful, and people generally don't bother with looking at what's on the bottom side of a trailer.

And even if the correct backing plates are used, they don't do much good if the anchor is bolted to a wood or metal floor that isn't well secured to the trailer frame.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I agree. Factory anchor points are often pitiful, and people generally don't bother with looking at what's on the bottom side of a trailer.

And even if the correct backing plates are used, they don't do much good if the anchor is bolted to a wood or metal floor that isn't well secured to the trailer frame.
I know that the ones in my trailer are attached to the crossmembers. When I had more installed they asked me to choose between 2 different places to put them.
I can't imagine anyone doing anything different?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I was impressed when seeing how the four stock anchor points were attached on my toy hauler.

Had already deemed them unusable based on prior experiences, but it was a pleasant surprise to see thick plates welded in to bridge the gap between the tightly spaced crossmembers.

But I've also seen recessed ones attached to plywood, with no backing plates. And plenty of ones bolted or welded to steel decks that were basically tack welded to the frame.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #188
FDBFA3F3-E387-4CDF-B947-46741C1CCF71.jpeg
they redid my plate for me :) and for winterization
AE1820A7-EDCD-4B21-B3BC-6AB24B6BCD6A.jpeg
they are super nice to deal with and gave me all the maintenance info for spring, even said that when im ready for a 10k that in gonna be able to offload my current one for good value

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
View attachment 91068
they redid my plate for me :) and for winterization
View attachment 91069
they are super nice to deal with and gave me all the maintenance info for spring, even said that when im ready for a 10k that in gonna be able to offload my current one for good value
How many boats you have back there🤣

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #190
Not enough, actually on friends property. However if you ever commit a crime Ill show you the ocean. 😉

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Not enough, actually on friends property. However if you ever commit a crime Ill show you the ocean. 😉
So you know Tony? 🤣🤣🤣

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I've been looking for an easier way to tie the car down. We have been running straps through the wheels but it's kind of a PITA and messes up my plastidip too. I've thought about trying some of those straps that go over the tires but wasn't sure how well they worked or if you have to have special attachment points on the trailer? Greg's just has 4 D-rings bolted to the floor at each corner and some slots on the sides. It's an open trailer.
I have tried the over the tire straps using L Trac (royal pain in the ass), and just about everything else. I have settled on one setup and will never go back. It's fast , easy and secure. 4 Tie downs with a conventional plate hook on the ratchet end and a double wire hook on the working end facing up. In front I hook into the round hole in the cross member right at the back corner of the plastic pan that you remover to change the oil. The plastic barely covers a small part of the hole but the hooks go in anyways. You can cross tie or straight tie as you wish. In the back I tie into the round hole on the bottom of the LCA. You are so low that the hook will not come out when the car bounces. Cross or straight tie as you wish. Go on fast and come off fast. Get them TIGHT! Don't be shy.

PS: I dont cross tie any more. I also have used logic and a Macs Tie Down video to make my descision on this.

0428211027b.jpg 02065ECE-5A35-4979-A8AC-A23363903D00.jpeg

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I have a 2016 Dodge Ram 5.7 BigHorn edition. Class IV receiver and this is the following tow rating:
View attachment 89549
I have a 5.7" Box and it is 4x4, 8HP70 with the 3.21 gears. I also have aftermarket airbags installed from AirLift with integrated compressor, they are very nice. I am capped at 8010 based on this chart. I've been looking for an enclosed and my racing buddy will let me keep it at his property and of course he gets to use it when I am not racing. I am looking at this a Cynergy 8.5x24 Black 10K GVW with a 6’6” Interior Height. This is from a good local reputable place that recommended the 10k and 24' based on how little room there will be once the hellcat is in there.

So a couple of questions for the members, does anyone else use an enclosed that is smaller than 24' with our hellcats, how much room do you have? Does anyone have experience with Cynergy brand? The hellcat with half a tank and me in it weighed 4505 at VMP I'm over estimating at 4600. So that leaves 3400lbs left. If the trailer weights close to 3k I might be looking at an open car hauler.
Keep the 1/2 ton. It'll be fine. I put 15,000 miles on this setup the first year I had my Demon going all over the US. Just take your time and don't drive like an ass and you will do fine.......... 0911181835_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@DRAGRCR I really like that suggestion. I'm gonna look in to those hooks.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
PS: I dont cross tie any more. I also have used logic and a Macs Tie Down video to make my descision on this.
And you never should have.

There must be a 1,000 ways to tie down a vehicle, but unfortunately very few of those ways are correct.
Then again, what you tow with and how the towed vehicle is tied down doesn't really matter...until one day it does.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
It’s been awhile since I’ve had to worry about how to strap down. But Is the reason to not cross strap on an open trailer because the straps have a higher chance to break and if one breaks the vehicle is uneven and can roll?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It’s been awhile since I’ve had to worry about how to strap down. But Is the reason to not cross strap on an open trailer because the straps have a higher chance to break and if one breaks the vehicle is uneven and can roll?
Primarily it's because the straps generally are touching each other, which will result in wear.

But also, unless the anchor points are a long distance away, the angle lessens the effective strength of the straps quite a bit. If perfectly in line they are at 100% of the WLL, but any angle will lower that strength.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Primarily it's because the straps generally are touching each other, which will result in wear.

But also, unless the anchor points are a long distance away, the angle lessens the effective strength of the straps quite a bit. If perfectly in line they are at 100% of the WLL, but any angle will lower that strength.
When I got my first trailer, Brandon Wilkerson who transports Hellcats, told me exactly how to strap down the Charger and what straps to buy.

So far it's been very successful since it doesn't seem to move or the straps need to be retightened.

I wonder how Brandon is doing, haven't seen him for over 2 years?

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Then again, what you tow with and how the towed vehicle is tied down doesn't really matter...until one day it does.
I like what I am doing. My straps stay tight etc. I honestly do not expect them to hold in a major crash like a roll over etc. At that point my life will matter most and then someones insurance will cover the rest. I think in a minor crash I will likely be ok.

I had this happen going into Vegas. Full on panic stop. I was nervous when I got pitted and opened up the door and nothing moved. Not even an inch. Whew!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I get it. It's just that I prefer a larger safety margin.

We have comparable weight cars on the trailers, but the largest difference is in the tow vehicles. Mine has a longer wheelbase than a crew cab longbed pickup, and weighs about 9,400 lbs.

Also, the inherent stability of the gooseneck trailer is in a different league than a bumper pull. Yes, it's almost overkill for trailering a little car, but I think that's much better than something that merely works. DSCN2124.JPG

While it's not a foolproof setup (especially with me driving), it's far safer should something go wrong. And there has been a few times when things didn't go wrong because of it. Such as coming into a curve way too hot.