Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Enclosed trailer for hellcat

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
We can, and I have the sleeves, lasso loops and/or axle straps to do it. Just never used them.

What I don't like about that method is that no matter how nice and fuzzy the sleeve is, it can't be good for the paint. With chrome wheels I probably wouldn't mind.

But maybe more importantly, while that setup works in the rear where the wheels are locked, I'm not sure I'd trust it in the front. Since the loop will have to go close to six o' clock (to clear the splitter), there's a definite possibility that the tire and wheel can turn (overcome the friction of the tire), which would loosen everything.

Granted, it's the rear tie downs that are most important, but still. I'd like my 'Cat to stay put even when/if my trailer ends up on its side or roof.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I'm a firm believer in using wheel nets, and very anti tying to sprung parts. That basically means E-track under the tires.
Having tied down all kinds of vehicles over the years, a Challenger presents different challenges than what I'm used to, with the low clearance in the front, especially.
Pulling down on sprung parts is bad but pulling back and pulling forward just locks everything in place. Even if I used wheel nets I would still feel better adding a strap front and back just in case.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
If the angles are shallow enough, yes, I agree.
And I sometimes add a "safety chain" to the rear of a vehicle. I just don't know what I'd attach it to on a Challenger. And I'd leave some slack in it.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
OP
firedude

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #45
I bought a used 24' Carson dovetail with torsion suspension last week. Been working on it quite a bit. Making a winch mount this week hopefully. Will post pics. I am never good at before pics. To anxious to get started on it.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Making a winch mount this week hopefully.
Please don't rely on a winch as a front "tie down". I've seen too may failures in the four wheeling world with that kind of setup.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
For my Challenger I use the Petty tie down points mounted to the front and rear k frames.
I'll also be adding a driver's side door before next spring to give me some flexibility. This means at least 4" of ramps to raise the car to allow the door to open just like MarkP is showing.
As has been mentioned I look forward to more ground clearance in the trailer to remove and attach the tie downs. Right now we do this on the ramp for good clearance.

OP
firedude

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #48
Please don't rely on a winch as a front "tie down". I've seen too may failures in the four wheeling world with that kind of setup.
Thanks but not my first rodeo. Actually, trailer number four in my driveway right now. I installed ZL1 anchor points when I first brought my car home. Just in case it had to be loaded on a truck. Ever see how some drivers load these things on a truck? Another reason to have your own trailer.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I've had nightmares about ending up having to rely on a tow truck. Which is one reason I sometimes carry a full size spare.
I only have two enclosed trailers that can accommodate a Challenger, but realistically I could likely use an open one, too, since my 'Cat doesn't get driven in inclement weather.

Come to think of it, it doesn't matter what the weather is like - I'd rather drag it over salted roads myself, tied down to my liking, than have it subjected to a tow truck in perfect weather.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I’ve said this before.... so I’ll say it again. If you run your car at the track..... you could break something. If you do and you are stopped on the track.... you will be pushed or pulled off. With these cars not having a tow attachment point..... expect it to be damaged. They are not going to send out a crew of guys with soft cotton gloves on to push you the length of the track. If you race..... get one if these. 9AD0095D-60FF-48AF-BDCC-F4F709F38CC5.jpeg

OP
firedude

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #51
I've had nightmares about ending up having to rely on a tow truck. Which is one reason I sometimes carry a full size spare.
I only have two enclosed trailers that can accommodate a Challenger, but realistically I could likely use an open one, too, since my 'Cat doesn't get driven in inclement weather.

Come to think of it, it doesn't matter what the weather is like - I'd rather drag it over salted roads myself, tied down to my liking, than have it subjected to a tow truck in perfect weather.
Amen brother.

OP
firedude

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #52
I’ve said this before.... so I’ll say it again. If you run your car at the track..... you could break something. If you do and you are stopped on the track.... you will be pushed or pulled off. With these cars not having a tow attachment point..... expect it to be damaged. They are not going to send out a crew of guys with soft cotton gloves on to push you the length of the track. If you race..... get one if these. View attachment 3185
Good advice right there.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Get a tow hook for the front and back. Never know how you'll end up.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Off subject, but hey, we're talking trailers here.

I'm awfully tempted to buy a new 30-foot gooseneck, this time with a hydraulic dove tail.
Wish I'd got it the first time, since the rest of the trailer would be identical, with disc brakes, air suspension, etc.

So, would anyone here be interested in a 25+5 (5-foot dovetail) that's been used three times, one being taking it home from the dealer? DSCN2795[1].JPG

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Does anyone know the official breakover angle of a Hellcat? I haven't been able to find it, and don't know if I should trust my own 10 degree measurement.

Need to figure out how much the ramp door needs to be raised off the ground for the bottom of the car to clear.