Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Enclosed trailer for hellcat

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Exactly! I look at it as planting seeds. You plant each one individually, then water and nurture them slowly but surely. I "threatened" to buy a used, Magnum SRT8 (she HATES Magnums) and let her "talk me into" a new Challenger R/T. The next seed was for a Scat Pack. Had that for a couple years and planted the seed for a Hell Cat, then let her "talk me into" a Red Eye. For my Cuda, I planted the seed for a new Mopar Performance 5.7 Hemi. Then the 6.1 came out; time for another seed. Then the stroker kits came out; time for a stroker build seed. Then the ultimate, the HellCrate came out. Guess what's sitting in the garage now? lololol
Do you have pictures of the Hellcat Cuda? I am a huge Cuda fan myself - I would love to see pics ( in work and complete are great)

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
Do you have pictures of the Hellcat Cuda? I am a huge Cuda fan myself - I would love to see pics ( in work and complete are great)
A little background: The car is not complete yet and progress came to a sudden stop when my house got flooded a couple of years ago. It's still going through a complete reno right now. I've put many hundreds of hours into getting the car into it's current condition. All body work and prep is done; just needs a final sanding and then sealer and paint. Then of course, final ASSEMBLY, probably after the first of next year.

Everything has been "engineered" by me to fit and look like it came from the factory with the Gen3. Mother Mopar kept coming out with newer, more powerful Gen3s and I kept upgrading to the next engine. I went from a 5.7/360 horse MP crate engine, to a new 6.1 engine. The 6.1 then went to BES racing for complete stroker build (393ci) with ported heads and intake manifold and all the other good stuff. Along came the Hellcrate engine and I HAD TO get one. That's it though. I'm real happy to have a Hellcrate in the Cuda. Not going for the Hellaphant! lololol

All fabrication work and multiple "fitting" sessions were done with the 6.1 engine. The Hellcrate should bolt right in it's place, with only some aftermarket water manifolds needed for the intercooler lines at the back of the blower. The HC engine had not been fitted, but I have no concerns. Will just have some extra "engineering" of all the cooler lines and mounting of cooler pump and heat exchangers. Probably will use all factory stuff for that.

I have pictures on another, non internet computer. I would have to find a way to retrieve some pics and then post them here. I am computer challenged, but am open to suggestions.

BTW, although the WORK stopped on the car, I've continued to buy pretty much everything I need for the car. When work resumes, I should be able to make pretty good progress. I'm retired now too, so that will help a lot.

Last edited:

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
20 foot is just too short for any car. I have a 24 foot mostly for when I owned my old cars. Haven’t tried the Hellcat in it yet. The extra room in front of the car is huge. Car would block the entrance door too much in the 20’.

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Get a thumb drive USB stick and copy the pics from your old computer onto it...then plug it into the new computer and copy them to your picture folder...DONE!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
A 20-footer is enough, if using wheel nets and idlers so the tie down ratchets only have to come past the car by a foot or so. Of course, that requires E or L track spaced correctly for the track width.

And a side door is a near must, I think. DSCN2726.JPG DSCN2683.JPG

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
For reference, here's the '18 on an 18-foot trailer. DSCN2124.JPG

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
A 20-footer is enough, if using wheel nets and idlers so the tie down ratchets only have to come past the car by a foot or so. Of course, that requires E or L track spaced correctly for the track width.

And a side door is a near must, I think. View attachment 3054 View attachment 3055
While loading my 1970 GSX at the Chicago Corvette and Muscle car Nationals in a pouring rain storm I thank God I bought the 24 foot and not the 20’. The car is a 4spd and in the rain slicked wooden ramp the tires spun and i truly believe with the 20 I would have launched the car through the trailer and into my pickup. I had all I could do to stop in time with the 24’. Choose wisely!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Well, I must admit that I never took stopping distance into account when deciding on trailer size.
Luckily I have a 30-foot trailer, too. And if that's not enough, I could put a mattress and/or a tire wall at the front of a 35-footer I have.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Wet ramps are dicey. Since then I invested in a nice winch so pulling car in slow is a snap.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Is that a 26’? Look forward to seeing it finished.
24 foot....I think.:unsure: It is almost done. I will be checker playing the whole interior. I will post my build thread when I’m done.
04A518AF-9E2A-4B81-A2BD-49C9CBCCF73C.jpeg 4E14DF1E-844E-4EAE-B01D-CA877CA02019.jpeg 6D70B26E-76BF-44BD-BC64-46750760221A.jpeg 690436E1-42C8-4DD0-B0E5-7048182C57BA.jpeg 5F4B6E57-877B-4901-8B34-75A862CEFE6B.jpeg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I was wondering about door clearance...until I saw the last photo. Elegant solution.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I was wondering about door clearance...until I saw the last photo. Elegant solution.
I will be wrapping the whole floor in chrome checker plate so the wood I screwed down will be hidden. I am also going to do the walls in chrome checker plate. I have all the material in stock. I just have to find some time after work to finish up the trailer. Also by raising the car it makes it easier to strap it down.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Just don't make it too slippery. Wood is pretty good at providing traction (when dry).
What are you doing for tie downs?

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Just don't make it too slippery. Wood is pretty good at providing traction (when dry).
What are you doing for tie downs?
I was also thinking about the traction. If the checker plate is too slippery then I will just put some industrial grip tape just where the tires roll. I am not sure yet. I have never modified a trailer before so I am learning as I go.

I just use regular all purpose heavy duty tie downs nothing fancy.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I'm a firm believer in using wheel nets, and very anti tying to sprung parts. That basically means E-track under the tires.
Having tied down all kinds of vehicles over the years, a Challenger presents different challenges than what I'm used to, with the low clearance in the front, especially.

Chuck

Founding Member
Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye Super Stock
In June I took my car back to Curt to tune (Wa to Georgia) I Only had a 20 ft enclosed trailer and the wife wanted to go to the Keys on our Harley Streetglide.
So I loaded bike across the front which created a lot of tongue weight ended up having to back car into trailer had 8 inches to spare.
But I was able to tie down with ratchet straps and car didn't move an inch. the hardest part was loading the car by myself backing into trailer is a pain with a manual trans

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
A Challenger and a Harley in a 20-footer should remove any doubts about a Challenger having enough room by itself, I think.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I'm a firm believer in using wheel nets, and very anti tying to sprung parts. That basically means E-track under the tires.
Having tied down all kinds of vehicles over the years, a Challenger presents different challenges than what I'm used to, with the low clearance in the front, especially.
Can't use wheel nets because the wood is just screwed down on top of the plywood floor. I would have to take all the wood off and secure the first piece of wood to the frame.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I think you could. If you're only setting it up for the 'Cat, then you could install two D-rings per wheel in the appropriate spots. Either in front of and behind the tire, or the same but just outside the sidewall, depending on the type of wheel net.

I ran into the what-do-I-secure-the-E-track-to? issue on my trailer, since the aluminum flooring is really only tack welded to the cross members.
Luckily, the I-beam cross members at 12 inches on center allowed me to use bolts there, then I riveted the rest, essentially making the flooring profile and E-track one.

In your case, I'd go down to the cross members, adding backing plates as needed, using quality fasteners. McMasterCarr has them in almost any length.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat