Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Enclosed trailer for hellcat

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I am going to be in the market for a enclosed trailer soon. I currently have a open, dove tail but want enclosed for this car. I am hoping to get some feedback from those who have them. I will not be using it very often. Maybe 6 times a year or so. I need it to get my car to Drag strips. To far to drive to. Looking at 20' or 24' I would really like to go with a 20' but not sure if the car will fit. Obviously the 24 would be just fine. Those with 20's, would you do it again or go bigger? The weight thing is also cutting it close as most 20's are maxed plus a little with the weight of our cars.
Thanks for any input.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
20' is definitely too small. While the car will physically fit, you can't get the right CG with the car/trailer relationship, at least with a "standard" 20' trailer.

24' is minimum in my opinion, which is what I had. This is big enough to get the car in correctly, and then you have room up front for some fuel, tires, etc.

OP
firedude

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Bull. Pretty much what I thought. I may just upgrade to a nicer open trailer also.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Depends on a number of factors starting with the truck. I had a 20’ enclosed cargo/car hauler and it did the job ok. I didn’t have any issues towing that with a 5.7L 1500. When things started getting serious I decided I wanted a larger/optioned trailer and started looking at loaded 24’ models. The weight with the car and race car related cargo pushed the towing limit on that truck past it’s rated limit so I decided I needed 3E82A183-1DAD-46C2-B8E8-4A74CC91C28A.jpeg a more capable truck and stepped up to the 2500 Cummins. Now the weight of the trailer wasn’t a issue any more so why not go with a 28’ instead! I’m happy now. Except those 32’s look really nice. 😂

OP
firedude

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #5
That is one sweet trailer. I do have a Dodge 2500 diesel so pulling will not be a problem.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Then it’s all about how much you want to invest in a trailer and what kind of storage options you have concerning size. I can’t store anything at my house so I have to use a storage facility regardless of what kind or size of trailer it is. That being the case for me... size doesn’t matter. One of the things I have seen is..... good luck in finding a nice used race car hauler at a decent price. If a well optioned new one is well maintained and taken care of, you can expect to get a good percentage of your money back when it’s time to sell. I decided on the 28’ because it didn’t cost but $1000 more than the 24’ and it not only gives me a lot more room in front of the car to work with but the resale will be better when the time comes. If all you’re doing is hauling the car to the track and back for open test and tune stuff then all you need is transportation. If you plan on racing where you are at the track all day and the trailer becomes your pit, then that’s another thing. I optioned mine with a generator/air cond. and a awning. If you go to race and experience spending all day at the track in the sun..... good luck in getting the wife or anybody else to go with you more than once. Here’s mine.... 26929487-3BE8-4827-88C6-8A65A8B8F6D0.jpeg B732B08D-7217-406D-BA76-64A2F03A288A.jpeg F66F786F-B171-4AE2-8077-A5C409BB79A9.jpeg C258282C-D32D-487A-AFCD-E88DF45DE58C.jpeg 0E53304A-31A0-49B9-88E8-E5BBE023EE5D.jpeg 31D8064A-902A-4F6C-B4E6-CFDBAFBE6F07.jpeg 1B3E5E93-6947-4FC9-832F-05D3C5E1133C.jpeg 8FF29267-E01A-4758-901D-55749E427184.jpeg

OP
firedude

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #7
That is a very nice setup. The trailer will mostly just be used to transport to track for test and tune stuff. Really wont be used much. Kind of hard to justify to wifey. Trying the "we can use it for storage" argument right now. I am having a new garage built so I am already walking on thin ice...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Start out slow...

"I think we need a trailer..."

Then...
"I think having a generator will let me run fans and and a cooler for you."

"An awning will be nice for shade."

"Lights so we can see better while loading."

Slow and easy, not all at once. Those wives can be smart sometimes! They start hearing all these options at once and they start adding in their heads. Get her to like each thing one at a time. :oops:

:p

:ROFLMAO:

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Haha. I’ve taken a different approach. I’m getting on in years and when the wife questioned the cost of what I’m doing and the danger involved.... I told her that in the years ahead, I can either sit crapping in my recliner in front of the TV while she takes care of me, or I can get out there and risk my neck in the car. She said.... “ get out there in that race car!” 😂

Last edited:
OP
firedude

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #10
Lol. After 35 years she knows me pretty well. First thing she always asks is “ Did you already buy it ?” I have been a “ Ask for forgiveness “ vs permission guy.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Lol. After 35 years she knows me pretty well. First thing she always asks is “ Did you already buy it ?” I have been a “ Ask for forgiveness “ vs permission guy.

I can't tell you how many times I've bought the same tool twice.

And she's caught me too!

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
Start out slow...

"I think we need a trailer..."

Then...
"I think having a generator will let me run fans and and a cooler for you."

"An awning will be nice for shade."

"Lights so we can see better while loading."

Slow and easy, not all at once. Those wives can be smart sometimes! They start hearing all these options at once and they start adding in their heads. Get her to like each thing one at a time. :oops:

:p

:ROFLMAO:
Exactly! I look at it as planting seeds. You plant each one individually, then water and nurture them slowly but surely. I "threatened" to buy a used, Magnum SRT8 (she HATES Magnums) and let her "talk me into" a new Challenger R/T. The next seed was for a Scat Pack. Had that for a couple years and planted the seed for a Hell Cat, then let her "talk me into" a Red Eye. For my Cuda, I planted the seed for a new Mopar Performance 5.7 Hemi. Then the 6.1 came out; time for another seed. Then the stroker kits came out; time for a stroker build seed. Then the ultimate, the HellCrate came out. Guess what's sitting in the garage now? lololol

Last edited:

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I have a question about in closed trailers.

Why don't they make them with a door on the left side so you can open the drivers door to get in and out of the car without having to climb in and out of the window?

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Never seen one

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

Why don't they make them with a door on the left side so you can open the drivers door to get in and out of the car without having to climb in and out of the window?
They do make them with that. For low cars like ours, they need to also have a removable wheel well to get the door open. It just adds to the cost. The more expensive trailers do offer that as a option. I don’t have one in mine and have found that loading the car with the winch is so easy (and safer) that I don’t bother to drive it in any more even though getting in and out is something that I can still do.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Now I've seen one

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

I am frankenstiening my trailer right now.
thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg thumbnail_image2 (2).jpg thumbnail_image3 (1).jpg

OP
firedude

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #19
Is that a 26’? Look forward to seeing it finished.

Last edited:

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I also have a 24 ft enclosed. I either use a winch to pull my car in or my very skinny son drives the car in.
I may be adding an escape door before winter but I'll still need about a 4in high set of boards or Race Ramps to get the car high enough to open the driver's door over the trailer fender.
20190824_191249.jpg