Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Octanium Unleaded the real deal or stick with 100 octane fuel?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Just when I was about to buy Obtanium Unleaded I read your experience and now am in doubt.

BTW, glad your Redeye seems to be more powerful with those huge tires!
It was strange yesterday, the D/A had to be stupid high but it was running exceptional on a tank of 91 which I never feed it in MN. It also said no ethanol, so I think it liked it a lot. Especially at speed a couple of times, those tires say no-bull shit let’s get it on!

So consider since the beginning of May at five different days with almost no other use I was pumping several tanks of gas through it with that stuff added. It was blowing it through there well because we can observe discolored pipes. Moral of my story is that with continued heavy use, the computer may stick its finger out and give a little warning out. It seems fine, I am going to enjoy its great street manors for a while now.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
It was strange yesterday, the D/A had to be stupid high but it was running exceptional on a tank of 91 which I never feed it in MN. It also said no ethanol, so I think it liked it a lot. Especially at speed a couple of times, those tires say no-bull shit let’s get it on!

So consider since the beginning of May at five different days with almost no other use I was pumping several tanks of gas through it with that stuff added. It was blowing it through there well because we can observe discolored pipes. Moral of my story is that with continued heavy use, the computer may stick its finger out and give a little warning out. It seems fine, I am going to enjoy its great street manors for a while now.
I just got through a tank 15 gallons with 1 1/2 cans in it. No issues yet but I will be filling up with 93 on the next tank. The gt500 has had 4 cans through it so far. I light mix with it though.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

Does anyone know when the switch to full summertime gas takes affect. My car seemed to be running better than usual this weekend with a fresh batch of Mobil 93. Maybe that has something to do with the cars performing even in the warmer weather?

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Does anyone know when the switch to full summertime gas takes affect. My car seemed to be running better than usual this weekend with a fresh batch of Mobil 93. Maybe that has something to do with the cars performing even in the warmer weather?
I have a feeling that the winter stuff was around longer. Almost nobody needed to buy gas from the middle of march till almost June. My car ran better this weekend also. 🤷‍♂️

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have a feeling that the winter stuff was around longer. Almost nobody needed to buy gas from the middle of march till almost June. My car ran better this weekend also. 🤷‍♂️
Both of you will understand this, and that is on the way back yesterday, as I was sitting in this excellent machine, I was really enjoying it! It is so well balanced and comfortable while looking great! It is capable of nearly 200 mph in less than one mile, it is the same car that was delivering hour after hour of fun at several race tracks in the region this past month. I was totally comfortable as the temp outside was 90, I was listening to an excellent stereo, it was getting somewhere north of 20 mpg, even had the seat vent on for more comfort. Had the I-Phone connected into CarPlay delivering any of the Nav applications, phone and texts right to my screen, even as I saved $800 on the OEM Nav option. And, IMO, it rides even better than OEM with its upgraded suspension pieces, wheels and tires! It had dismissed its little warning and was running better than ever, oh and this one is finally LOUDER. The past few track days must have finally blew the shit out of the little baffle or muffler material that may have existed, because like the ‘15, this car is louder now, and even sounds fairly mean.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Both of you will understand this, and that is on the way back yesterday, as I was sitting in this excellent machine, I was really enjoying it! It is so well balanced and comfortable while looking great! It is capable of nearly 200 mph in less than one mile, it is the same car that was delivering hour after hour of fun at several race tracks in the region this past month. I was totally comfortable as the temp outside was 90, I was listening to an excellent stereo, it was getting somewhere north of 20 mpg, even had the seat vent on for more comfort. Had the I-Phone connected into CarPlay delivering any of the Nav applications, phone and texts right to my screen, even as I saved $800 on the OEM Nav option. And, IMO, it rides even better than OEM with its upgraded suspension pieces, wheels and tires! It had dismissed its little warning and was running better than ever, oh and this one is finally LOUDER. The past few track days must have finally blew the shit out of the little baffle or muffler material that may have existed, because like the ‘15, this car is louder now, and even sounds fairly mean.
Many of those reasons are why I stepped away from my '57 Chevy after 26yrs. Although looks are subjective, the driving experience is no comparison.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
DGatzby,

I drove my Hellcat today and had the same thoughts. The car is amazing. Merging onto the freeway is effortless, the stereo sounds great, the exhaust rumbles. I love my Challenger. It will be even better with a few mods!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
DGatzby,

I drove my Hellcat today and had the same thoughts. The car is amazing. Merging onto the freeway is effortless, the stereo sounds great, the exhaust rumbles. I love my Challenger. It will be even better with a few mods!
The mods (you know all about them) + my street PS4S set + near zero camber/toe in the rear = dream ride and traction.

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
The mods (you know all about them) + my street PS4S set + near zero camber/toe in the rear = dream ride and traction.
Can you explain how to make/adjust rear to have near zero camber? I know this make for best tire contact with ground. I have lift if that helps..
Thanks!

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Can you explain how to make/adjust rear to have near zero camber? I know this make for best tire contact with ground. I have lift if that helps..
Thanks!
You need to add eccentric bushings to the stock arms or what’s best replace the stock arms with better adjustable ones with harder bushings such as BMR or the best which is AAD in my opinion at least. Then have an alignment done for about +.3 camber 0 tie in the rear with 3/4 tank of gas and you in the car. On launch car will squat and be about 0.

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
You need to add eccentric bushings to the stock arms or what’s best replace the stock arms with better adjustable ones with harder bushings such as BMR or the best which is AAD in my opinion at least. Then have an alignment done for about +.3 camber 0 tie in the rear with 3/4 tank of gas and you in the car. On launch car will squat and be about 0.
Thank you!

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have some bad news about my favorite and much recommend Octanium Unleaded, I’ll post pictures in a bit. I’m glad I went corn now for sure.

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Oh noooo?!

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have some bad news about my favorite and much recommend Octanium Unleaded, I’ll post pictures in a bit. I’m glad I went corn now for sure.
I had a feeling this was coming from some earlier comments.
Welp I guess my racing is about to get way more expensive.💩

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
What is that news. Have a can was going to use over weekend.

YMMV

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Morris Co
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger HC
Was about to order some more since I tossed some in the tank due to some older gas from end of last year. Guess Ill wait now. Damn.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ok, here’s the news. I’ve used a qt of Octanium Unleaded per 15-17 gallons of fuel religiously for about 8000 miles over 2 years switching to corn around Sept for 2000 miles since using any 93 with Octanium. I’ve read and heard corn cleans things up, well I don’t think it touches whatever residue Octanium leaves as 2000+ miles of aggressive corn fed driving doesn’t look like it’s removed anything, in fact I tried a few different very potent industrial licensed only solvents on the residue and nothing short of mechanical action (abrasive products) removed it. Ok, I have posted pictures in the past of spark plugs that don’t look too bad, O2 sensors that don’t look too bad, exhaust header interiors that don’t look too bad, mostly parts that would be easy and cheap to change even if they did look bad but they where being used as a gauge for what it may be leaving on components such as pistons and valves that aren’t cheap or easy to change. Well I tore my engine down this winter and noticed the valves looked pretty crummy, like rust on them but knew it was MMT residue, no biggie. So I figured I’d clean them up in place since they had perfect seal. Looking at them big ol intake valves they looked like a flat top valve not allot of build up on them and the exhaust valve looked the same, flat top but a smooth thin coating of ugly rusty looking MMT on them. So I tried getting it off, no chemical touched the stuff, not even soaking on it over night. So out came the dremel with a fine sanding disk, came off the intake valve easily. So on to a exhaust valve, well turns out the exhaust valve isn’t flat topped like the intake it has a deep tulip shape to it and was completely filled with MMT like it was spray welded in there. Was a REAL PITA to remove it too, took like 10-15 discs per valve and about 2 hours or so per cylinder to get the crap out of them and polish everything clean again. That filled in space had to up the CR by making a smaller squish area leading to possible increased chances of detonation maybe even? Bottom line I won’t use it any more, glad I’m on corn now and won’t have to, but I wonder what others like Torco which is nasty as hell MMT wise but works the best has been doing to the inside of my Capri’s 302?? I only use it in it when I’m planning on spraying it so it doesn’t have cases through it like my cat had. Sooooo I have to un-endorse my recommendation of using Octanium Unleaded based on these findings. Look at the pictures below and judge for yourself’s your continued use or not.
5CC01AE0-626D-4FEB-96FB-307295297BB8.jpeg 4B411689-52F0-47D0-89A5-18DA2FE49D50.jpeg 0476E60B-021C-4D6D-9BCF-9B0A3640A1CB.jpeg EC1A9693-9311-4176-94E2-3DE54410D4CD.jpeg

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Ok, here’s the news. I’ve used a qt of Octanium Unleaded per 15-17 gallons of fuel religiously for about 8000 miles over 2 years switching to corn around Sept for 2000 miles since using any 93 with Octanium. I’ve read and heard corn cleans things up, well I don’t think it touches whatever residue Octanium leaves as 2000+ miles of aggressive corn fed driving doesn’t look like it’s removed anything, in fact I tried a few different very potent industrial licensed only solvents on the residue and nothing short of mechanical action (abrasive products) removed it. Ok, I have posted pictures in the past of spark plugs that don’t look too bad, O2 sensors that don’t look too bad, exhaust header interiors that don’t look too bad, mostly parts that would be easy and cheap to change even if they did look bad but they where being used as a gauge for what it may be leaving on components such as pistons and valves that aren’t cheap or easy to change. Well I tore my engine down this winter and noticed the valves looked pretty crummy, like rust on them but knew it was MMT residue, no biggie. So I figured I’d clean them up in place since they had perfect seal. Looking at them big ol intake valves they looked like a flat top valve not allot of build up on them and the exhaust valve looked the same, flat top but a smooth thin coating of ugly rusty looking MMT on them. So I tried getting it off, no chemical touched the stuff, not even soaking on it over night. So out came the dremel with a fine sanding disk, came off the intake valve easily. So on to a exhaust valve, well turns out the exhaust valve isn’t flat topped like the intake it has a deep tulip shape to it and was completely filled with MMT like it was spray welded in there. Was a REAL PITA to remove it too, took like 10-15 discs per valve and about 2 hours or so per cylinder to get the crap out of them and polish everything clean again. That filled in space had to up the CR by making a smaller squish area leading to possible increased chances of detonation maybe even? Bottom line I won’t use it any more, glad I’m on corn now and won’t have to, but I wonder what others like Torco which is nasty as hell MMT wise but works the best has been doing to the inside of my Capri’s 302?? I only use it in it when I’m planning on spraying it so it doesn’t have cases through it like my cat had. Sooooo I have to un-endorse my recommendation of using Octanium Unleaded based on these findings. Look at the pictures below and judge for yourself’s your continued use or not.
View attachment 39790 View attachment 39791 View attachment 39792 View attachment 39793
Thanks for the info.
Shit I thought this was the least obtrusive octane booster.
Maybe it is😱.

My issue now is do I make the rather large investment to go with corn?
Remembering that there is a 27% or so surcharge do to exchange rates. As well as any duties and taxes owed on the Canadian $ value at a rate of 15%.
Then the only way to get E85/E98 is in a barrel here. So while cheaper than race gas it is no way near the difference for you folks south of us.

Option 2 way less up front and mix pump with race gas to get to where I need.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I’ve
I use nothing but vp octainum, it works and doesn’t trip my light like the boostane did. I use it as a buffer on 93 octane in the redeye and GT500. The GT500 has variable timing and gets all 18 degrees when vp is used with 93. That car gets a half of a can per full tank or 13 gallons of 93.

Is it a replacement for race gas I say no but it’s just a bit of insurance for bad gas. All my 93 runs stock and tuned have had vp in the tank.
I’ve used Boostane in both the Hellcat and the Redeye for several years with no issues. Use just enough in both cars to get our shitty 91 octane to 93. The performance improvement has been documented with data logging and tuning. Not once have I seen a CEL even with OAT at 115 degrees.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Did we remember the 103 I used to run 1/2 and 1/2 with 93 ootangy from Amaco. Thank god I used 1/2 and 1/2. Burnt up 3 sets of rails, converters amongst alot of other stuff. Car was in the shop for 6 months with the factory taking care of 100% of parts and labor. The gas burnt everything up to burn. All they asked was me to take the non stock K & N intake off. I did, had it inspected, and put it back on. Dodged, ha, a big bullet with that one. Just beeze careful of what you hear and or read.