Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Octanium Unleaded the real deal or stick with 100 octane fuel?

YMMV

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Morris Co
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger HC
How do you like the SW midpipes? How's the exhaust sound? How well did the install go/fit and finish? I've been considering them as well on my stock Redeye with Big Daddies mini cats (for 02 sensors). I'd tune them out later, when I got tuned.
So far I'm liking it. Its loud on WOT but still very tame when cruising. (I do also run the MFer-1) I do notice more/pronounced "tinging noise" from the exhaust when idling. Haven't notice much of the exhaust pops/burble that everyone likes, but that is something I don't care for. I know my neighbors are going to hate the cold starts since I leave for work at 6:30am lol.

Install was alright, took about an hour and change doing this on a lift. It fought me a little bit when trying to loosen the bolts from cats to manifold. One of the manifold studs (where it mounts to the cats/midpipes) snapped on me and that was after soaking it with PB Blaster, and also using some heat (Mine is a 18 with 10k miles - never seem rain/snow). The fit wasn't bad but that's where I spent most of my time, getting it to fit, and making sure the exhaust cleared/did not rattle against the trans cross brace or anything else.

I did install the Vibrant O2 restrictor fittings. I will have them tuned out but not till after I send some new logs to Tim with the midpipes. 25 miles so far and no CEL with them (knock on wood).

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
So far I'm liking it. Its loud on WOT but still very tame when cruising. (I do also run the MFer-1) I do notice more/pronounced "tinging noise" from the exhaust when idling. Haven't notice much of the exhaust pops/burble that everyone likes, but that is something I don't care for. I know my neighbors are going to hate the cold starts since I leave for work at 6:30am lol.

Install was alright, took about an hour and change doing this on a lift. It fought me a little bit when trying to loosen the bolts from cats to manifold. One of the manifold studs (where it mounts to the cats/midpipes) snapped on me and that was after soaking it with PB Blaster, and also using some heat (Mine is a 18 with 10k miles - never seem rain/snow). The fit wasn't bad but that's where I spent most of my time, getting it to fit, and making sure the exhaust cleared/did not rattle against the trans cross brace or anything else.

I did install the Vibrant O2 restrictor fittings. I will have them tuned out but not till after I send some new logs to Tim with the midpipes. 25 miles so far and no CEL with them (knock on wood).
Did you use the straight or J (curved) style fitting? Usually it takes 200 miles or so (and some engine cycles) before a 0420 or 0430 Cat code will come up, if it does. Keep us posted if it works for you, before you tune it out.
  • M18 x 1.5 O2 bung

Was that the size? I believe it's the standard size.

Last edited:

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
I looked up the specs on the Amsoil product. This is the ingredient list.

"Contains Hydrogenated base oil, Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl"

MMT, but perhaps because it treats 15 gallons of gas and raises the octane rating 4 they've got the orange residue level down? If you go from 93 octane to 97 I'd think that would be pretty good for spirited driving.
I use mostly on a track day. I've used on vacation and saw an increase in MPG. I know we didn't buy these cars for mileage.

YMMV

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Morris Co
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger HC
Did you use the straight or J (curved) style fitting? Usually it takes 200 miles or so (and some engine cycles) before a 0420 or 0430 Cat code will come up, if it does. Keep us posted if it works for you, before you tune it out.
  • M18 x 1.5 O2 bung

Was that the size? I believe it's the standard size.

I used the straight one with no issues . I used the Vibrant #11621 with the middle sized gas insert it comes with (comes with 3).

Ill be hitting the track Friday so we shall see.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have also used the SW pipes on my Daytona. Install is pretty easy and it gives the car a little more sound which to me was perfect. I also used the Vibrant 11621 (came with them, used) and no CEL. Expect some gas smell when it is colder out but in hot weather I didn't notice any

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Ordered some Octanium to have on hand. $20.95 shipped on Amazon

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Okay, with all my road course time this month and my cars’ regular diet of Octanium with little or no street driving, does anyone think one of my sensors cried Uncle yesterday? Got a P2098 code after a couple of “short track” sessions at BIR. Damn it, last time it did a short track it ate a S/C pulley. After driving it sane on the street for over 100 miles it forgot the code. WTF, was it just complaining? It did not have any other complaints, poor performance, gauges reading bad things, bad gas mileage or codes present. Not that I was going to cut it any slack. I swear, I’ll drive this sucker into the ground for what I paid for it. Not happy at all with the Demon in Hellcat clothes yet. Maybe the little Demon engine that could is only good for 10 second bursts? Little bitch won’t run like it should for several minutes without puking! This thing going roll over and be a PIA for me forever?

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Okay, with all my road course time this month and my cars’ regular diet of Octanium with little or no street driving, does anyone think one of my sensors cried Uncle yesterday? Got a P2098 code after a couple of “short track” sessions at BIR. Damn it, last time it did a short track it ate a S/C pulley. After driving it sane on the street for over 100 miles it forgot the code. WTF, was it just complaining? It did not have any other complaints, poor performance, gauges reading bad things, bad gas mileage or codes present. Not that I was going to cut it any slack. I swear, I’ll drive this sucker into the ground for what I paid for it. Not happy at all with the Demon in Hellcat clothes yet. Maybe the little Demon engine that could is only good for 10 second bursts? Little bitch won’t run like it should for several minutes without puking! This thing going roll over and be a PIA for me forever?
Not sure if this will help you bud, but looking around for other stuff, I found this on big daddies 02 simulators website. Not sure if you are 100% stock, but they list a couple reasons why that code might be happening. Hope that helps!

p2096 / p2098
To put it simply, there is too much unmetered oxygen being detected, commonly called leaks. There's only three places you will have leaks, Your exhaust, Your Intake or Your Vacuum system. They will be small, sometimes hard to detect, but they are there, just find them and fix them. Yeah, I know you checked it or your seasoned mechanic checked it and there's no leaks anywhere. Well here's what I have to tell you "Bullshit" if your throwing one or both of these cels you have leaks...find them, fix them and the cel's go away.

NOTE: If you have a catch can Installed, it's very common to throw either both p2096/p2098 a single p2096 or single p2098 cel...

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Not sure if this will help you bud, but looking around for other stuff, I found this on big daddies 02 simulators website. Not sure if you are 100% stock, but they list a couple reasons why that code might be happening. Hope that helps!

p2096 / p2098
To put it simply, there is too much unmetered oxygen being detected, commonly called leaks. There's only three places you will have leaks, Your exhaust, Your Intake or Your Vacuum system. They will be small, sometimes hard to detect, but they are there, just find them and fix them. Yeah, I know you checked it or your seasoned mechanic checked it and there's no leaks anywhere. Well here's what I have to tell you "Bullshit" if your throwing one or both of these cels you have leaks...find them, fix them and the cel's go away.

NOTE: If you have a catch can Installed, it's very common to throw either both p2096/p2098 a single p2096 or single p2098 cel...
Interesting, could be the catch can! It did it after a couple of fairly good sessions, but it chimed after starting it after lunch off track. Thanks for the help, it cleared on the drive home. If it does it again, we will give a deeper look.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Interesting, could be the catch can! It did it after a couple of fairly good sessions, but it chimed after starting it after lunch off track. Thanks for the help, it cleared on the drive home. If it does it again, we will give a deeper look.
Yeah no problem. For what it's worth I haven't had any codes after installing my catch can, but it might be worth removing for one session just to determine if it is or is not the issue for your code. I have the UPR fender catch can installed for over a year now (no codes).

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yeah no problem. For what it's worth I haven't had any codes after installing my catch can, but it might be worth removing for one session just to determine if it is or is not the issue for your code. I have the UPR fender catch can installed for over a year now (no codes).
It has never done it before. I’ll wait and see if it happens again. It has had a pretty steady diet of additives and with the road courses, it has lots of that run through it this past month. I’ll let it recover for a couple of months before I torture it again.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I run the UPR remote fender mounted unit as well, never had a code but I’m mostly a 1/4 mile guy with occasional mile+ runs.
For @DGatzby the Key could be track running where your off and on it constantly for a long period of time, cats are probably literally glowing red hot, could be their just not processing gases that effectively over a long run like that. Cats need to be fed rich lean rich lean cycled constantly and in wide open throttle situations you may be in open loop allot and the catalyst doesn’t have the surface area to maintain adequate processing at max cfm’s for that endurance period?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I think your close @16GoManGoHC2, this Demon engine has certainly given me some fits on the short courses this year, where the HC 707 engine did not. It has plenty of power. I don’t even want to look under there when we pull off, the heat coming off the brakes and tires are enough to make a guy wonder. I know that they literally fry the grease in the aftermarket sway bar bushing adjacent to those cats.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I run the UPR remote fender mounted unit as well, never had a code but I’m mostly a 1/4 mile guy with occasional mile+ runs.
For @DGatzby the Key could be track running where your off and on it constantly for a long period of time, cats are probably literally glowing red hot, could be their just not processing gases that effectively over a long run like that. Cats need to be fed rich lean rich lean cycled constantly and in wide open throttle situations you may be in open loop allot and the catalyst doesn’t have the surface area to maintain adequate processing at max cfm’s for that endurance period?
I believe this to be true regardless of the track usage element. I got a cat code a few weeks ago that went away when I switched to black key,(I never run on black key) and hasn't come back since, even in full time red key mode. I had been driving with paddles prior and holding gears up and down way longer than auto shifting. I believe the cats were designed for way less horsepower and never redesigned to handle the extra fuel spit out by the RE long term.
P.S. I also got an E-mail immediately that night from FCA that said my car was in imminent danger of permanent motor damage, bring in immediately, yatta yatta yatta because they had been alerted by the computer. I hate this monitoring shit. Is there a way to opt out of this?

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
I think your close @16GoManGoHC2, this Demon engine has certainly given me some fits on the short courses this year, where the HC 707 engine did not. It has plenty of power. I don’t even want to look under there when we pull off, the heat coming off the brakes and tires are enough to make a guy wonder. I know that they literally fry the grease in the aftermarket sway bar bushing adjacent to those cats.
What mix are you running? I noticed I was up to 100 octane before I got to there max mixing chart. For a stock tune I wouldn't think you would need more then a 20% mix on 93. Taking into account you have a good base 93 to start with.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have been dumping 1/3 to 1/2 a can in to fill-ups of 12-16 gallons. I will be taking it on about a 500 mile interstate trip Friday/Saturday and I will be allowing it to burn all the additive out and get on straight gas. I am hating running it in this damn heat, but it has plenty of coolers on it. The code did disappear after driving it normal (no trailer queen Monday) home for about 125 miles Monday night. I am not that worried about it. My ‘15 threw misfire codes once when I as ringing it out at BIR. That item disappeared also and never returned.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
If it happens again, try a propane test. I went through some shit like that with my Cobra and found the problem with propane. It turned out to be a loose expansion plug in the bottom of the plenum.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Oh it does it much more and FCA can use all the tests they need to figure it out. That is why my PCM is not modified, YET.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
It is getting harder to deny the additive was causing a problem with a sensor. There certainly was some residual additive in the tank Thursday night. The tailpipes remain with the yellow residue showing. I did not drive it all week. Had to work it back to a street car by changing alignment, brakes and wheels/tires plus a big clean-up. After the fill-up, the light reappeared! It remained with me Friday through several key cycles and as I ran almost totally through a tank of gas with a 250 mile interstate drive. Then, I filled up with some 91 octane BP. The light was persistent for a couple of key cycles, but after running it, and a couple of good “demo” rides, it has stopped. I drove another 250 miles with even more spirit yesterday, because as the light stopped showing, I swear this thing feels stronger, even in 90 degree heat! The PS4S 345/30’s on the back are munching down great on the pavement in the summer heat. Maybe the PCM/TCM is detecting no tire slip, and pouring on the power? The suspension work and right-on rear alignment keeping them flat really works well. So in the future, for several tanks that we run through on our track days, I will be using less of the Octanium in my tank. If it is going to pull out of the corners like this, they will notice!!

OP
T

The Max

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toms River
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #60
It is getting harder to deny the additive was causing a problem with a sensor. There certainly was some residual additive in the tank Thursday night. The tailpipes remain with the yellow residue showing. I did not drive it all week. Had to work it back to a street car by changing alignment, brakes and wheels/tires plus a big clean-up. After the fill-up, the light reappeared! It remained with me Friday through several key cycles and as I ran almost totally through a tank of gas with a 250 mile interstate drive. Then, I filled up with some 91 octane BP. The light was persistent for a couple of key cycles, but after running it, and a couple of good “demo” rides, it has stopped. I drove another 250 miles with even more spirit yesterday, because as the light stopped showing, I swear this thing feels stronger, even in 90 degree heat! The PS4S 345/30’s on the back are munching down great on the pavement in the summer heat. Maybe the PCM/TCM is detecting no tire slip, and pouring on the power? The suspension work and right-on rear alignment keeping them flat really works well. So in the future, for several tanks that we run through on our track days, I will be using less of the Octanium in my tank. If it is going to pull out of the corners like this, they will notice!!
Just when I was about to buy Octanium Unleaded I read your experience and now am in doubt.

BTW, glad your Redeye seems to be more powerful with those huge tires!

Last edited: