Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Looking to buy a trailer and need feedback.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Have you considered going on a diet?
I’m not as heavy as some. I’m going to try and drop some more weight this year. Exhaust dumps etc
Supposedly 200 lbs=2 tenths
not at my power lever. But I would have a good gain.
8.6s is a goal. No one has been able to tell me at 8.88 that anyone has ever been faster stock engine trans and blower. People have been faster stock engine but built trans and or blower.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Very nice 👍🏼. A couple things I have ended up doing after having gone thru the trailer experience for a while now. I winch my car in using a handheld remote. That allows for a safe and very precise loading. I can place the car over far enough to the curb side of the trailer to give me space on the drivers side to walk along on top of the trailer wheel well to reach in and steer the car. I have placed my winch on the right side of the trailer and hook it at a point on the drivers side of the car to to get a straight pull with the winch out of the way. Besides safe and precise loading (and no climbing out of the window inside the trailer), I will have no problem with loading if something breaks and the car won’t move on its own. View attachment 90218 View attachment 90219 View attachment 90220
@jonx96 amanda needs to get you one of those for Christmas. No more crawling out of the window;)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
@jonx96 amanda needs to get you one of those for Christmas. No more crawling out of the window;)
It's going to be tough getting the parking brake set. These cars are almost as wide as these trailers.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It's going to be tough getting the parking brake set. These cars are almost as wide as these trailers.
Parking brake? Lol. I leave the front attached to the winch and ratchet strap the rear until tight. You will find that after some travel, the straps will loosen up some. Every so often…. I stop to check and just a touch of the button on the winch remote forward tightens it right up.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Sounds like you have a lot of faith in the brake mechanism of that winch.
I wouldn't even trust a Warn 8274 for that, and those have a brake that really can't let go easily.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I hauled my 1st REWB exactly one time with my standard style enclosed trailer. After crawling out of the window a few times I went shopping for one with a big side door. I now have 2 enclosed trailers and life is much simpler. :)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Parking brake? Lol. I leave the front attached to the winch and ratchet strap the rear until tight. You will find that after some travel, the straps will loosen up some. Every so often…. I stop to check and just a touch of the button on the winch remote forward tightens it right up.
I'm from a different school. The 1 called hard knocks.

I don't have a head. 😢😢 or a winch.

But I strap mine from 4 corners, parking brake on and in park. Straps stay tight 99.9% of the time.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I hauled my 1st REWB exactly one time with my standard style enclosed trailer. After crawling out of the window a few times I went shopping for one with a big side door. I now have 2 enclosed trailers and life is much simpler. :)
My old, fat ass ain't crawling out the window and that's a fact.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I always tow with the parking brake engaged. If the car rocking back and forth somewhat loosen the straps, that means the trans in park is keeping it from rocking back and forth more. I don’t like the idea of putting the rocking motion on the parking position of the transmission. My straps do not typically loosen up with the emergency brake engaged.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Sounds like you have a lot of faith in the brake mechanism of that winch.
I wouldn't even trust a Warn 8274 for that, and those have a brake that really can't let go easily.
I never take the winch out of gear so that mechanism is never exercised. I use a nylon cable so I just wrap it up and leave it on the floor when not in use. I use a 13k winch so pulling or supporting that car is nothing. So…. yes I guess I’m putting some trust in that thing but.. the car can’t role forward because it’s strapped in the rear and the closed ramp in the rear is about 6” behind the furthest thing on the rear of the car which is the chute. Not really a lot to worry about.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
If I'm not mistaken, any vehicle should be strapped down from the unsprung part of the vehicle, wheels, axles, etc.?

Anytime you attach from the sprung part, the straps will loosen up and / or come off?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I always tow with the parking brake engaged. If the car rocking back and forth somewhat loosen the straps, that means the trans in park is keeping it from rocking back and forth more. I don’t like the idea of putting the rocking motion on the parking position of the transmission. My straps do not typically loosen up with the emergency brake engaged.
I don’t have a parking brake anymore so it’s not a option for me. Obviously that on a Hellcat requires being in the car. I can’t imagine arms long enough to reach that thru the window from the outside. With a stick maybe 😂. We’re back to crawling out the window again unless the trailer has an escape door.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I would be strapping and chocking it then.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
If I'm not mistaken, any vehicle should be strapped down from the unsprung part of the vehicle, wheels, axles, etc.?

Anytime you attach from the sprung part, the straps will loosen up and / or come off?
True if you use pussy straps. Serious ratchets tie a 1500+hp car down on a dyno and don’t loosen up if done right. I’ve watched my car try to rip that dyno outta the floor. They will not be a problem securing a car in a trailer. That being said…. I strap mine at the rear using axle straps.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
True if you use pussy straps. Serious ratchets tie a 1500+hp car down on a dyno and don’t loosen up if done right. I’ve watched my car try to rip that dyno outta the floor. They will not be a problem securing a car in a trailer. That being said…. I strap mine at the rear using axle straps.
I strap to the wheels, yes they are ratchet and are rated 11,128 lbs break strength each.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
These tire stops and plates are indexed to the E trac , I can move them forward or aft to change the tongue weight, tied down with tire nets only way to go

20180427_180549.jpg

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
These tire stops and plates are indexed to the E trac , I can move them forward or aft to change the tongue weight, tied down with tire nets only way to go

View attachment 90249
Looks like an ATC?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I’ll just buy one 🤣

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Yeah, but you actually have an axle