Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

EV Sales Are Just Getting Started?

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
Get ready, EV sales are about to jump!

All it needs is a hellcat motor!

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hyundia have a 10 year warranty
A Hyundai can be stolen in under 30 seconds...

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Freeze and frost warning along with wind chill advisory until tomorrow. Laying down water as we speak.
I believe tonight will be the coldest of the year! As we speak, 36 degrees. The weatherman issued a freeze warning for plants and electric cars. I have a few plants that were covered, luckily, no electric cars to worry about!

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
So can a hellcat so what is the point of stating that?

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Personally, a tax break is not going to make me want one. In the other hand, I am happy to hear Cole’s feelings about his EV’s. I believe he is trying to give us some facts and figures that we all wonder about and wouldn’t knock him for that. It’s not going to sway me but it seems to work for him. He is definitely convinced. More power to him.
So far we have established that NJ is a bad place to live (some dark forces there), that I am in a hole (although why I am in the hole remains a mystery), some therapy has been performed regarding a young guy that is looking in the mirror and looks angry (well that is what I see, lol, although the poster cannot comment on it, even though they posted it), and a member is in grade school and has blocedk me (I almost fell of the chair reading that one).

All this over an EV thread which includes the term "subsidy". If this is reflective of society as a whole, we are in big trouble. This is worse than when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Personally, a tax break is not going to make me want one. In the other hand, I am happy to hear Cole’s feelings about his EV’s. I believe he is trying to give us some facts and figures that we all wonder about and wouldn’t knock him for that. It’s not going to sway me but it seems to work for him. He is definitely convinced. More power to him.
Some facts would be nice. Since I have him on ignore, please let me know when he starts posting some.
Meanwhile, the province of Alberta just issued this:

IMG_20240120_182401_541.jpg

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #167
Gators are a high protein sustainable food source. (tastes like chicken?)
Can't eat a volcano.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #168
Some facts would be nice. Since I have him on ignore, please let me know when he starts posting some.

View attachment 127949
You have a choice. Stay home and use your toaster oven or starve and go to work...

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle

View attachment 127949
A home generator would be helpful or some EV's which can be used to charge the house, yes, EV can actually charge you house, unbelievable right?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #170
A home generator would be helpful or some EV's which can be used to charge the house, yes, EV can actually charge you house, unbelievable right?
What exactly is an ev going to charge in my house?

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
What exactly is an ev going to charge in my house?
Its called bi-directional charging and is becoming standard on EV's. The Ioniq5 & 6 can charge a 120 Volt circuit up to 20 amps. The EV coming out will be able to do 240 volts (that is speculation on my part). All new Lucids have Bi-directional charging and can also charge other EVs.

Is the therapy session still on regarding the photo you posted? Having too much fun on this thread.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I wouldn't be that lucky if I had one.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Its called bi-directional charging and is becoming standard on EV's. The Ioniq5 & 6 can charge a 120 Volt circuit up to 20 amps..
As DavidKFla pointed out, there's normally no part of a house that can be charged. Instead (and even I knew that), some can be used to provide a bit of power to a house.

Seems like the new buzzword is "charging", which may make some EV owners, or potential ones, feel better about it.
And they surely won't mind not going to work when their car is keeping the lights on. Although, if they also have a normal car they still could.

Maybe instead of misusing the word "charging", we could say that the EV is momentarily subsidizing the power grid?

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
The other technology that is a slam dunk in China, is there are EVs that cost way under 20K and the battery is rented. No charging is performed, the battery is swapped out in under 5 minutes (as reported) at stations. Millions of battery swap outs have already been performed. Tesla investigated this concept in 2011/2012 and gave up on it. However, swapping out the battery pack similar to what is performed with Blue Rhino propane tanks solves the issue of affordability and battery maintenance.

We live in exciting times.

Last edited:

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
As DavidKFla pointed out, there's normally no part of a house that can be charged. Instead (and even I knew that), some can be used to provide a bit of power to a house.

Seems like the new buzzword is "charging", which may make some EV owners, or potential ones, feel better about it.
And they surely won't mind not going to work when their car is keeping the lights on. Although, if they also have a normal car they still could.

Maybe instead of misusing the word "charging", we could say that the EV is momentarily subsidizing the power grid?
Back feed the panel box and use a mechanical disconnect that satisfies the NEC (National Electric Code). With 120 volts only one side can be energized. IMO, better approach is purchasing a solar generator (a fancy way of saying lithium ion phosphate battery that has a built in transformer so it can be charged with solar panels) that can support 240 volts and charge the solar generator with the EV (unless the EV can discharge at 240 volts). The batteries are a temporary fix unless they have alot of capacity (like the Power Wall).

I don't have solar panels or a Power Wall, never could get the numbers to work, a 25 KW Diesel generator works for me.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I think I’ll buy a Ford Lightening just to power my fridge in case we lose power…[histerical][histerical]

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
...a 25 KW Diesel generator works for me.
I'm doing okay with a 15KW. Could've got an 18 for only a few hundred more, but after looking at the fuel consumption difference at half load, the smaller one seemed like a better choice.

I may have up to 1,600 gallons in tanks, but could also be down to under 1,000 at times (not counting about 500 in vehicle tanks), so lower fuel consumption could be a good thing.

Of course, I would make sure that both water heaters aren't on before welding, for example. But so far the 15KW has done what it's been asked to do without any issues.

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

View attachment 127949
This was over a week ago...it was -46C at my place. A few areas had 30 min rotating blackouts....my place stayed up. I do have a Generlink transfer switch and a 9000watt generator for backup. EVs don't function at these temps PERIOD.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Someone put the body on backwards. I knew about quality control issues on some EVs, but this is a bit much.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm doing okay with a 15KW. Could've got an 18 for only a few hundred more, but after looking at the fuel consumption difference at half load, the smaller one seemed like a better choice.

I may have up to 1,600 gallons in tanks, but could also be down to under 1,000 at times (not counting about 500 in vehicle tanks), so lower fuel consumption could be a good thing.

Of course, I would make sure that both water heaters aren't on before welding, for example. But so far the 15KW has done what it's been asked to do without any issues.
That is great, someone who has more diesel than me, love it. You have enough fuel to last probably 6 months, maybe more.