Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Death Valley road trip in the summer in a cat?

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Was thinking today that I've never been to Death Valley. School is out and my son and I could use a father son road trip. The Hellcat is no longer the daily and doesn't get driven as much. Why not go to Death Valley in the cat? Checked the weather and yeah, its hot. Today it got up to mid 120's. What's the point of going to Death Valley though if it isn't hot? That is what the place is all about right? Perfect time to go?

So what do you guys think? Can the Hellcat handle the heat? Am I just crazy? Should I take the Mazda instead? Wait until its not 120+?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Take plenty of water no matter what you decide to drive. 😅 IDK, but it seems the Cat would have extra cooling capacity if not driven hard.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
giphy.gif

Life's too short...enjoy and drive it.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
In my experience, as long as you're going fast enough, you can stay cool in Death Valley. In fact, I find it a little chilly around 500 mph or so...:LOL:

However, if it's a Father and Son road trip, I think there's no doubt about it, the Hellcat is the correct choice.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Just went from Riverside, to Lone Pine, to Panamint Springs, through Death Valley, to Mojave Desert, to Joshua Tree and back home... took a week, with stop overs and sight seeing.

This was in the wife's Jeep TH.

Nothing to worry about, brother.

Look up Star Wars Canyon. Depending when you're there, you may see some low flying action.

Bob

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Was thinking today that I've never been to Death Valley. School is out and my son and I could use a father son road trip. The Hellcat is no longer the daily and doesn't get driven as much. Why not go to Death Valley in the cat? Checked the weather and yeah, its hot. Today it got up to mid 120's. What's the point of going to Death Valley though if it isn't hot? That is what the place is all about right? Perfect time to go?

So what do you guys think? Can the Hellcat handle the heat? Am I just crazy? Should I take the Mazda instead? Wait until its not 120+?
But.....it's a dry heat :LOL:

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
In my experience, as long as you're going fast enough, you can stay cool in Death Valley. In fact, I find it a little chilly around 500 mph or so...:LOL:

However, if it's a Father and Son road trip, I think there's no doubt about it, the Hellcat is the correct choice.
We banter about the handling of the HCs, but one thing is for sure, they are GREAT grand touring cars. I have taken 2 trips to Vegas, plenty hot and no overheat issues. Total joy and fun!

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
But.....it's a dry heat :LOL:
Yep, we have friends that moved from Chicago suburbs to Sun Valley West, AZ last week. It’s been hanging around 117 degrees since they got there. The old cliche doesn’t cut it when it’s that hot.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Yep, we have friends that moved from Chicago suburbs to Sun Valley West, AZ last week. It’s been hanging around 117 degrees since they got there. The old cliche doesn’t cut it when it’s that hot.
Yeah......when it's that hot it's not pleasant, but I can take that more than I can take 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Just went from Riverside, to Lone Pine, to Panamint Springs, through Death Valley, to Mojave Desert, to Joshua Tree and back home... took a week, with stop overs and sight seeing.

This was in the wife's Jeep TH.

Nothing to worry about, brother.

Look up Star Wars Canyon. Depending when you're there, you may see some low flying action.

Bob
Was that AeroF16:unsure:

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat

Why wouldn't the hellcat be able to handle the heat? It's not like there's no air ducts and mesh through the entire front grille and bumper.

It's a modern car, one of the benefits to staying stock is not worrying about reliability in theory.

I would say go for it, no difference between mazda or a hellcat, now a truck might be another story though, they usually stress test them in extreme cold and heat.

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
I expected to see them bullseye Womp Rats ;)

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Reminds me of the movie Independence Day. Good movie.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I say go for it. It's a strange and desolate drive out there. I've been many times most recently last year in the DSRT, when temps were in the 105-115 range.
20200819_081540_HDR.jpg

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Use what my dad called "Texas Air Conditioning".
Turn off all fans and vents, then just crack the window about 1/2 to 1 inch down.
That air blowing in will feel like heaven.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I was walking across the parking lot of my local pizza/sub joint yesterday afternoon and it was so hot and muggy, and it hit me that when I was young, not many people had air conditioned cars, especially if they were cars from the 60's and early 70's. I was fortunate enough to have two cars from that time period that had a/c and I was grateful.

And the weather yesterday made me appreciate remote start and a/c, and having both in my vehicle now :D:D

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Exactly......and I wouldn't want to live in my oven either, but when the time comes for retirement, I do plan to move someplace that has better weather the majority of the year, lower humidity most of the year, and has no or hardly any grass to cut.

I can take a dry heat much better than I can a soupy mess like it is around me right now.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
My daughter moved to Phoenix just about 3 years ago, brand new home in a very nice part of Buckeye. Their AC quit one day, they had to go live in a hotel for 2 days, 2 kids 3 and 4 and 2 pit bulls rescues. It hit 143 degrees in there house before the AC was fixed. What happens if there’s a power failure out there???? Was 121 in the shade in her back yard yesterday, kids can’t even go outside to play even in a pool. Where the hell is everybody going to go or do if the power is off for just a day even???? I think I’d have to have solar cells on my roof in my own back up power supply to live there just to keep the AC going or you are going to die without it, literally. Unfortunately Not for me no matter how much I miss my grand daughters :(

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My daughter moved to Phoenix just about 3 years ago, brand new home in a very nice part of Buckeye. Their AC quit one day, they had to go live in a hotel for 2 days, 2 kids 3 and 4 and 2 pit bulls rescues. It hit 143 degrees in there house before the AC was fixed. What happens if there’s a power failure out there???? Was 121 in the shade in her back yard yesterday, kids can’t even go outside to play even in a pool. Where the hell is everybody going to go or do if the power is off for just a day even???? I think I’d have to have solar cells on my roof in my own back up power supply to live there just to keep the AC going or you are going to die without it, literally. Unfortunately Not for me no matter how much I miss my grand daughters :(
She might live in my neighborhood! We live in a very nice part of Buckeye. But we were also out in the backyard in the shade with the kids yesterday. It was hot for sure.

Never thought about the power going out. Guess I would just go to a friends house, go to a hotel, or take a vacation out of state to see my family! It would be doable but it'd be miserable trying to sleep.

That also brings up a good point. 110-120 degree heat is standard for driving the Hellcat in PHX in the summer, it definitely won't have any issues. I'd make damn sure I had enough water and a good plan if you had a blowout or something though.