Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Broke challenger help/advice wanted

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
How did your round of golf go yesterday? ;)

Interesting post, will be watching and double-checking my stuff!
And, you are out looking at that Redeye now with a concerned face after reading a couple of things these past few weeks from a few of your “buddies”?

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
And, you are out looking at that Redeye now with a concerned face after reading a couple of things these past few weeks from a few of your “buddies”?
Gotta admit I'm thinking about it more and more...my car has thankfully performed without a hiccup for almost 2 years and 13k miles, and they have not all exactly been easy miles.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Gotta admit I'm thinking about it more and more...my car has thankfully performed without a hiccup for almost 2 years and 13k miles, and they have not all exactly been easy miles.
Shhh. You may be selling on here someday.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Thread Starter #44
My service is scheduled at the dealer 7/7 8am Wed morning, belt ordered. Covered under warranty.. lol the funny part I told the lady the belt snapped so we are setting up the service she’s like it’ll be 100 for the belt install.. I said well that should be covered under warranty.. she said oh well I thought you said you snapped the belt.. 😂.. I said no the belt snapped from “Natural Causes” she was like oh! So she fixed that 😏

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #45
I’ll make sure they test drive it so if the supercharger blows up it’s on them hah!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #47

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Being the green belts are stiffer they are more prone to breaking. It used to rare to have a belt snap. I have had supercharger since the mid 90's and never had a belt snap. See if Napa/gates has the same size in a standard belt.
Never had a belt snap on a SC in all my years. Did have one hop up on the edge of the pulley (a magnusson 112 unit) and get cut in half. It would have snapped very shortly thereafter but I killed it summoned a tow truck. To be on safe side upgraded to a stronger, more responsive tensioner. OP, hope it's just the belt and nothing else for you. That belt looked like it had staining; more than I had on my HC belt. Someone get something on it maybe?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
My service is scheduled at the dealer 7/7 8am Wed morning, belt ordered. Covered under warranty.. lol the funny part I told the lady the belt snapped so we are setting up the service she’s like it’ll be 100 for the belt install.. I said well that should be covered under warranty.. she said oh well I thought you said you snapped the belt.. 😂.. I said no the belt snapped from “Natural Causes” she was like oh! So she fixed that 😏
Hi Matt,
We're sorry to hear that you have these concerns. If you are in need of additional support while in service, please let us know. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional assistance while in service. Feel free to follow up with us via private message if this would be of interest.

Rob
Dodge Cares

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #50
Hi Matt,
We're sorry to hear that you have these concerns. If you are in need of additional support while in service, please let us know. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional assistance while in service. Feel free to follow up with us via private message if this would be of interest.

Rob
Dodge Cares
Thanks I’ll keep that in mind, I’ll keep everyone in the loop once I get it back after the service dept fixes what should be a simple job I’ll give you all the proper info/breakdown and if any other components where affected from the belt failure/snap.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #51
Never had a belt snap on a SC in all my years. Did have one hop up on the edge of the pulley (a magnusson 112 unit) and get cut in half. It would have snapped very shortly thereafter but I killed it summoned a tow truck. To be on safe side upgraded to a stronger, more responsive tensioner. OP, hope it's just the belt and nothing else for you. That belt looked like it had staining; more than I had on my HC belt. Someone get something on it maybe?
It’s just residual rubber residue from the belt cleaned it off the front connector of the intake near the idlers too with a cloth and some rubbing alcohol.... as Marc mentioned it somehow sheered 3 of the ribs off the front edge that weakened it then it snapped... the belt wasn’t all the way off at first after I popped the hood so I think it whipped around a bit inside just for a few seconds maybe (didn’t go very far) when the incident occurred.. then I just drove it lightly a mile back to my garage coasting mostly.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
While we are at it, does anyone have the model numbers of BOTH the green and equal size BLACK belt to fit the HO Engine?

@TraxMoe has it right, I need to verify the one spare I have works, if not, I want a spare with me at the track from now on, due to my cars’ short nasty history and things like this others are reporting now.

Damn it, just hope I don’t need to also carry a spare supercharger around too!:ROFLMAO::sneaky::sneaky:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Sounds like you should have a spare belt and wrenches in the truck along with the spare tire, just as a precaution if that happens when you're not close to a dealer.
This. After the belt cutting incident I mentioned, I kept a large socket wrench of the correct size and a brand new belt in my "car bag" in the trunk from then on. If it snapped or shredded, just a bicep work out to bend that tensioner down and slide on that new belt. Never needed it.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Thanks I’ll keep that in mind, I’ll keep everyone in the loop once I get it back after the service dept fixes what should be a simple job I’ll give you all the proper info/breakdown and if any other components where affected from the belt failure/snap.
Thanks for this update, Matt. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation.

Rob
Dodge cares

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Let the BIG DOG EAT is no longer a golf term

Would you feel the same way about the spare tire / puncture / inflation kit too? Growing up in a rural area it was just good practice to carry a minimal tool kit and supplies in the vehicles for just such emergencies. In the winter we even carried blankets, protein and a heat source if we were stranded. City Slickers just don't think that way [wrenchin][screwy]
Funny you should mention that; I have a case of water, tow straps, jump battery, fix a flat, etc... in each of my Expeditions (and a moveable winch on the 4x4 - you're not always going to get stuck where a front mount will get you out). So maybe I'm over prepared. I also have entrenching tools in each of those kits, sharpened to a razor edge.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #56
Well after spending half the day waiting for a flat bed tow truck.. once it got here he didn’t have proper equipment to get the car onboard without scraping the front splitter. I even stressed low profile low clearance vehicle.. So I’ll be driving her easy 8 miles to the dealer tomorrow early morning.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #57
just go out and buy the belt and don't fret about the warranty. Maybe the dealer will replace the belt and give you the one you bought, back as the spare, if you show him the receipt for the one you bought.
Well my appointment at the dealer is tomorrow morning they’re installing a new belt I ordered.. the old belt is junk lost a few ribs. The car runs fine I just need to take it easy. Plus I want the dealer to fix check engine light etc..

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Matt, you CAN spin the SC? Right?
When my Ram engine was replaced they made the dealer drive it 100 miles before they gave it back to me.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Ensure you "remind" them to inspect the tensioner and the pulleys etc for anything amiss. Not just throw a belt on it and send you on your way

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #60
Well I got the car to the dealer this morning. She rode smooth no issues. My appointment was at 7:40am and I got the car there just before. I watched someone in the service dept take the vehicle to the shop but not exactly sure what happened between now and then. I received a call 20 minutes ago from the service secretary stating that they’ll need another day with the car because their performance tech is tied up with another vehicle and they’ve no time for the car today (as we know I scheduled the appointment a week ago). So that’s where I’m at.. originally I wanted to take the car to Fred beans doylestown CJDR I like the service work they do there.. unfortunately their certified tech was out on disability.. so I was forced to go to Chapman which is where I bought the challenger originally but they are notorious for not having a very good service record. Wonder why? I brought the challenger there for its first free oil change before and wasn’t thrilled to see oil splatter on some engine components and one little thing that ticked me off before was you know the little black soft pad on the shifter nob.. well someone must have worn a ring on there right finger because when I got the car back that was nicked.. plus it was left under a tree so it had debris on it.. anyways that was another story and I put a carbon fiber piece over the shifter pad so it doesn’t bother me anyway.

Last edited: