Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Broke challenger help/advice wanted

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Can I drive her like this to the dealer Chapman? It’s 8.5 miles from my house? Or better I just get the tow?
Drive super easy! There was a guy on youtube who drove without his supercharger. Even went on the highway. He blew his up. He said let's see how it feels without a supercharger and floors it. Well the second or third pull he blew it up. I guess he thought comparing supercharger to no supercharger was good content. Watch around 17:50. No I don't normally watch this guy.

Just think this guy has way more subs than @Speedy! Gives us all a bad name

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
The damn green belt sucks!! It has a harmonic you found and it popped both of them. Exactly how it was described two superchargers and one engine ago.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I rarely have a car with a warranty on it so my first thought is to just fix it. Being you do contact dealership and see what they say to do

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I rarely have a car with a warranty on it so my first thought is to just fix it. Being you do contact dealership and see what they say to do
Watch them say you lost your warranty because you drove it like this.... Yes I'd call them.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Thread Starter #25
The damn green belt sucks!! It has a harmonic you found and it popped both of them. Exactly how it was described two superchargers and one engine ago.
And I mean it was just a 6 second pull with a few High rev downshifts manually. Nothing I don’t do normally.. and definitely nothing compared to what you do at the track Gatz

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
And I mean it was just a 6 second pull with a few High rev downshifts manually. Nothing I don’t do normally.. and definitely nothing compared to what you do at the track Gatz
I also wouldn't mention the pulls. I'd just tell them you were out driving around and you got into a little boost. My parents bought a brand new jeep. While washing it my dad noticed there was a pretty big spot of paint peeled away after like a month of ownership. I told him not to say he was washing it because it was not relevant. What does he do tells them he's hosing it down and corporate denied the warranty because they said he used to much pressure and peeled the paint away. He used a garden hose. He didn't fight them enough to get it fixed. So it never was.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
LOL. I was waiting for you to chime in on this. I was gonna tag you in my post.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #28
I have AAA gold I’ll just have the thing towed I’m getting a little sketched out after you sent that video of M2f I remember watching that too

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
The supercharger is fine right now car starts up no issues.. when you give it a little throttle the revs have no Resistance. Going up to 2k and it snuck past to 2100 without me doing it.. shut her back down

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I know. A wise man much smarter than me about those belts whispered that to me, and I’ll be damn, he was so right. But, no matter what; Dodge wants a green belt on that larger supercharger. So keep you warranty happy and do what they say. Ha! I have not pressed the pedal down enough to even hear my new one whine yet!! Give me a couple of nice days into this weekend and a quick oil change and we shall see what they installed soon. I got it finally all cleaned up, brakes changed back to street, and the proper rubber on it, so it is about to get exercised.

Somehow you found that certain harmonic that blows the belts. I have not found that harmonic, Matt, but sure have found more heat myself!! I assume you can spin the fan?? It is still okay?? If so, your all good, make sure it is innocent looking and bring it in, watch the temps, etc. since you have no water pump or alternator if you drive it in,

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
Definitely don’t want to compound a simple 30-40 dollar belt failure to a 15-20k supercharger issue. I remember thinking watching that mod to fame video what an idiot when he blew it. I can’t be that same idiot!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It may just be the pictures but it looks like your belt lost some ribs before the failure. How many ribs does that belt have? If it’s less then 10, then there’s your problem. If you have a tensioner or idler failure, it can allow or even force the belt to walk off the drive pulleys and it will start trimming the ribs off. Make sure to check your tensioner because those have been known to fail. If the spring is broken, it will not keep proper tension on the belt when you pull off the gas or on shifts and allow it to jump off the pulley.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #33
It may just be the pictures but it looks like your belt lost some ribs before the failure. How many ribs does that belt have? If it’s less then 10, then there’s your problem. If you have a tensioner or idler failure, it can allow or even force the belt to walk off the drive pulleys and it will start trimming the ribs off. Make sure to check your tensioner because those have been known to fail. If the spring is broken, it will not keep proper tension on the belt when you pull off the gas or on shifts and allow it to jump off the pulley.
Maybe the spring broke? Sounds possible

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
You can. I have driven blower cars with no belt. If you are going to take it to a dealership give them a call first and see what they recommend you to do. The other belt turns your water pump and such so there should be no issues
Agree, you can drive it without the blower turning
Did you check to see if you can spin the blower by hand as well? It should spin freely. You can also check decoupler pulley function as well assuming blower turns freely spin blower with a fast blip snd hold pulley in place, blower should continue to spin if decoupling of pulley is working correctly

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
I think everything is running optimally just the belt snapped, I’ll have the dealer look into next week after I get it flatbed towed with my AAA when I have time. Thanks for your opinions and advice

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #36
Tbh I think it was the 3rd to 2nd downshift I did. I was a little more aggressive with the downshift in manual track mode.. no one was around was just listening to her purr.. I honestly didn’t hear anything out of norm.. just when I gave it some juice after coming from a stop at the light after the quick pull I felt like the car only made like 250 hp

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #37
Hmm E26F3726-D703-44B5-9AC5-6CD24FE4337D.jpeg my belt only had 8 ribs for the green, it looks like it just caught the outside front rib and trimmed it off B45D4F01-C139-42F9-8633-8E4236F03169.jpeg

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hmm View attachment 47885 my belt only had 8 ribs for the green, it looks like it just caught the outside front rib and trimmed it off View attachment 47886
That means that the belt walked sideways on the pulley and the outside edge of the pulley trimmed a couple ribs off, weakening the belt. That most likely happened because your tensioner didn’t do its job. You probably aren’t pulling the kind of boost I am but I’ve encountered the same thing. I had to address it by going to the billet tensioner with the heavy spring in it. The spring in the stock tensioner wasn’t strong enough to keep the necessary tension on the belt. The other thing you want to check is the guide pulleys that have bearings in them (tensioner and idler). The bearings go wobbly and it can steer the belt off the supercharger pulley.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #39
That means that the belt walked sideways on the pulley and the outside edge of the pulley trimmed a couple ribs off, weakening the belt. That most likely happened because your tensioner didn’t do its job. You probably aren’t pulling the kind of boost I am but I’ve encountered the same thing. I had to address it by going to the billet tensioner with the heavy spring in it. The spring in the stock tensioner wasn’t strong enough to keep the necessary tension on the belt. The other thing you want to check is the guide pulleys that have bearings in them (tensioner and idler). The bearings go wobbly and it can steer the belt off the supercharger pulley.
Yes it was sideways before I took it off Marc

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
How did your round of golf go yesterday? ;)

Interesting post, will be watching and double-checking my stuff!