Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Barrage of codes and crazy wipers

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Ok.
Old battery out, new battery in.
Simple disconnect, reconnect...no touching pos/neg terminals while battery out.
Started car, no alerts. Scrolled to messages...none. Scrolled to diagnostic codes where all the U codes were before. No codes listed, yea!
But this kinda odd. After battery change, center display on Chrysler mode...am/fm only, no XM. Push SRT button, nothing. Gear to reverse, no camera. Let it sit to replace wiper blades destroyed by crazy wiper action from saturday eve. Turned on car again, center still in Chrysler mode. Next start, boom, its in SRT screen mode. XM on radio, all presets as before all the stuff. Press SRT button, all functions normal. Reverse, and camera on. In other words, all totally normal. Some kind of delayed reboot...? time vs the multiple on/off cycling i did...no idea...wierd!
Back to daily driver and see what happens. My bet is on battery, and thus on my way!
Yep. Totally normal. It can take several power cycles for everything to 'load'. Sorry, should have warned you about that. All FCA vehicles with the 8.4" or 12" touchscreen seem to do this.

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
Swapping out a battery is not a major achievement, but with these cars the electronics direct everything it seems. So not f***ing something up by making sophomoric assumptions is pretty important. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Yes, after complete power dissipation there is a relearn curve for all the functions to come back up...like you said, a few restarts and Voila...all is well.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
All normal. Especially at the four year mark. Sometimes overthinking things just has you overlooking the basics.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Ok.
Started car, no alerts. Scrolled to messages...none. Scrolled to diagnostic codes where all the U codes were before. No codes listed, yea!
But this kinda odd. After battery change, center display on Chrysler mode...am/fm only, no XM. Push SRT button, nothing. Gear to reverse, no camera. Let it sit to replace wiper blades destroyed by crazy wiper action from saturday eve. Turned on car again, center still in Chrysler mode. Next start, boom, its in SRT screen mode. XM on radio, all presets as before all the stuff. Press SRT button, all functions normal. Reverse, and camera on. In other words, all totally normal. Some kind of delayed reboot...? time vs the multiple on/off cycling i did...no idea...wierd!
Back to daily driver and see what happens. My bet is on battery, and thus on my way!
That's what I experienced when doing forced over satellite updates. The software starts out as the base "version" and slowly adds all the custom junk for the HC version. On mine, after about 30 minutes or so, all was back to normal.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Ok.
My Daytona used to do that after you disconnected the battery. I would have to push on the screen in the corner for a bit and it would go off and reboot the correct info

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Wait till you have a dead battery and can"t access the trunk where the battery is. I have gone thru 3 and does it screw up everything. Found out with the vettes,,, a 2 year battery will last you 2 years,,, warranty or snot.

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #28
Wait till you have a dead battery and can"t access the trunk where the battery is. I have gone thru 3 and does it screw up everything. Found out with the vettes,,, a 2 year battery will last you 2 years,,, warranty or snot.
One of you guys solved that before with wife's Charger. Jump new battery to underhood jump contacts and voila, trunk will open.