Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Barrage of codes and crazy wipers

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Yesterday, brothers in town, took them for a little HC cruise. 2017 Challenger HC, M6. Traction street, suspension sport.
Had some light fun. Nothing crazy, but certain i invoked traction and stability control. Brother wants one!
Parked, nothing abnormal.
About an hour or two later, started car to garage it. Barrage of notifications instrument cluster...abs fail, parking assist fail, lane departure fail, etc.....and wipers on full speed unresponsive to wiper control. Car on and off, into garage. But same thing repeated again too.
This morning disconnected neg terminal about 10 minutes. Then reaconnect and same thing again. Disconnected headup monitor then working with main center screen all progressively normal. Radio and srt pages had been funky too.
Still enU1120gine light illuminated solid on display ( manual says occurs with malfunctions of system, should go off after a few driving cycles. On codes list is multiple U codes:
U1110, U1120, U110A, U1411, U110F, U0212, U11BC, .
All seem to be communication error codes.
Reconnected heads up.
At startup now, all normal.
Took short drive, all normal.
I'd appreciate any comments or input?
Tnx

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Well if you hadn't been able to start it, I would say classic low battery voltage.

But when running??

Wow...

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Got all the codes not running.
So maybe battery related?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Got all the codes not running.
So maybe battery related?
Codes are generated by the behavior though, and if that happened while running, that's a new one for me.

Speculation, but being so random, and spontaneous, maybe you have a bad alternator/battery combo, so while you were able to start it, it was still really low on voltage?

Or was just on the fringe of starting and needed time to get back up to viable voltage?

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
These cars seem to be very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Just a little low and they can go nuts. My son's '17 Charger did something similar a few months ago. No problem starting and some weird codes, then dead (no start) one day. Charged it and it threw random codes again a couple days later. Put a new battery in it and no problems since.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If you have a battery to try start there and see if it fixes it. If it does buy a battery:)

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
As of now, only leftover is engine light and if you go to codes page, you can see the list of U codes from before. I am going to replace battery as next step.

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
I.e. there were no new codes or alerts since this morning.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Your car is four yrs old. Precisely when my 2016 battery died when I still had it. Fourth year. I’ll bet cash it’s the battery. Would explain the odd behavior.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Honestly, if it is just the battery.....that would be a great thing. You did disconnect the terminal for 10min but I would've disconnected both, then touched them together for 10min.(I have a wire circuit jumper cable I use to do that). That supposedly discharges all the capacitors in the system, so system goes to zero and on restart it should wipe out all codes. Just seeing the codes is nerve racking.
These cars do seem to have weird electrical gremlins. My '09 would "eat" key fob batteries. Every 18mo's or even less, I would get "keyfob not found" and I would have to start manually before getting a new batt. My Silverado had the fob battery over 7yrs before it needed one.
Good luck.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Before buying a new battery (may need one anyway), check the negative terminal sensor. That went bad on my Challenger, and affected not only the battery, but the head unit as well.

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
Thanks for the input. My plan is to replace battery today. How does one check negative terminal sensor? Drove to work. Voltage readout was 13.8 at start, then 13.9/14.0 driving. And if i connect pos to neg does that cancel all presets, such as radio, mpg, trips, etc?

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thanks for the input. My plan is to replace battery today. How does one check negative terminal sensor? Drove to work. Voltage readout was 13.8 at start, then 13.9/14.0 driving. And if i connect pos to neg does that cancel all presets, such as radio, mpg, trips, etc?
Yes. Cancels everything. Little bit of a pain but if the codes disappear it's worth it.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
As much as I hate to say it... this sounds like classic TIPMS failure.

If battery doesn't fix it, you may want to look into it.

Bob

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
I would also check Grounds! They are just as important to voltage and amperage as positive. A loose ground cable, not necessarily the main battery, could introduce voltage irregularities as described.

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
As much as I hate to say it... this sounds like classic TIPMS failure.

If battery doesn't fix it, you may want to look into it.

Bob
Just did a little search on that nightmare. I'll just say, i hope not!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
As I've mentioned in other threads, I agree this sounds like a battery issue. In my old SC GTO when the battery got very low, but not completely dead, the CPU did very bizarre things, including things that are not supposed to be possible (we worked with GM directly on this issue). The most bizarre was the CPU reverted to partial stock tune, which by everything I understand is impossible. Nevertheless, while on a the verge of buying a new computer, I had them reinstall the tune (e-mailed it in and installed it) and all issues resolved entirely. This actually happened twice, years apart (no one had touched the car, such as a dealer, etc..., just low low power on the battery). In the end, bought a top of the line tender and kept the battery tip top all the time. Never occured again. Amazing to me how touchy these computers are.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Just did a little search on that nightmare. I'll just say, i hope not!
JR if it keeps acting up after a battery, just take it in for a readout on the dealer’s machine for a good diagnostic. You won’t have many more choices anyway.

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
Ok.
Old battery out, new battery in.
Simple disconnect, reconnect...no touching pos/neg terminals while battery out.
Started car, no alerts. Scrolled to messages...none. Scrolled to diagnostic codes where all the U codes were before. No codes listed, yea!
But this kinda odd. After battery change, center display on Chrysler mode...am/fm only, no XM. Push SRT button, nothing. Gear to reverse, no camera. Let it sit to replace wiper blades destroyed by crazy wiper action from saturday eve. Turned on car again, center still in Chrysler mode. Next start, boom, its in SRT screen mode. XM on radio, all presets as before all the stuff. Press SRT button, all functions normal. Reverse, and camera on. In other words, all totally normal. Some kind of delayed reboot...? time vs the multiple on/off cycling i did...no idea...wierd!
Back to daily driver and see what happens. My bet is on battery, and thus on my way!

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States