Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

FS '23 Durango Hellcat

Trader history for Jimmy N. (0)

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #121
It stopped being fun and became work.
Yep, the maintenance has become a bit overwhelming.

It's one thing to deal with machinery that wants an oil change every 400 or 500 hours, compared to cars that insist on an oil change because a year has passed (Audi with 800 miles on it).

During a typical summer I fill a 55 gallon drum with waste oil. And just caring for numerous batteries takes a bit of time.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Seriously, it doesn't matter to me what you do with your cars. It's just conversation.

I have thinned my herd significantly and it is continuing as I no longer want to maintain and pay to keep them. It stopped being fun and became work.
Been seriously thinking about selling the Hellcat for this very reason. Insurance just took a huge jump and most of the driving I do is to go get maintenance done or 'emply' miles (driving it just so it's not sitting all the time).

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #123
Been seriously thinking about selling the Hellcat for this very reason. Insurance just took a huge jump and most of the driving I do is to go get maintenance done or 'emply' miles (driving it just so it's not sitting all the time).
Nooo...

Don't you have something else you could sell?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
We're down to 2 vehicles. I just don't see a logical reason to add another one without getting rid of one.

Weirdly our insurance went up and then went down the next month. Wondering what the next month will bring us?

Last edited:

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Nooo...

Don't you have something else you could sell?
I'd sell the new Durango SRT, but would take a serious ass beating to do it.

We're down to 2 vehicles. I just don't see a logical reason to add another one without getting rid of one.

Weirdly our insurance went up and then went down the next month. Wondering what the next month will bring us.
Ours did than, then took a huge (30%) jump with the last renewals. Agent says it's due to the Suncoast Tollway being extended into the county & we 'lost' our rural rating :mad:

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #126
Ours did than, then took a huge (30%) jump with the last renewals. Agent says it's due to the Suncoast Tollway being extended into the county & we 'lost' our rural rating :mad:
The Durango cost about 50% more than I had expected, and we have no tollways around here. Of course, it's a new policy, so not as many rate reducing factors in effect.

I think it's like everything else, things have become expensive. For the insurance company to repair or replace a vehicle is far costlier than it used to be. I'm a bit surprised it took as long as it did for the rates to start going up.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Plus the SRT vehicles have a bad rap with the insurance companies with the high theft and constant negative reports in the media.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Actually, there was not that much of a bump for the SRT ($75), the big hit came the month before I bought it & was on the '18 R/T !!
'16 Hellcat took a big hit as did the wife's '19 Infiniti Q50.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #129
Plus the SRT vehicles have a bad rap with the insurance companies with the high theft and constant negative reports in the media.
Yep, but (so far) the 'Cat costs less to insure than the GT AWD.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
When I traded off the Scat Pack (RT) and the Ram, put the Charger back on the street, our insurance rate has been bouncing all over the place.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'd sell the new Durango SRT, but would take a serious ass beating to do it.

My neighbor has a Z06 he can't afford to insure, so he has some deal where he can literally turn it off and on when he drives it a few times a year, maybe check with your insurance company?

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #132
My neighbor has a Z06 he can't afford to insure, so he has some deal where he can literally turn it off and on when he drives it a few times a year, maybe check with your insurance company?
Yeah, I stop the full insurance coverage (usually) on the 'Cat during the winter. Could probably do it more often, but don't want to hassle the insurance agent too much.

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
Seriously, it doesn't matter to me what you do with your cars. It's just conversation.

I have thinned my herd significantly and it is continuing as I no longer want to maintain and pay to keep them. It stopped being fun and became work.
I understand, I have four vehicles and a trailer. I have been thinking the same thing, the big question, which one or two, to let go...

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Yeah, I stop the full insurance coverage (usually) on the 'Cat during the winter. Could probably do it more often, but don't want to hassle the insurance agent too much.
Ins. is not the reason I'd dump the SRT, it's that I've had it now for 6 weeks & < 400 miles and it's already a huge hassle & stopped being any fun.

You might want to try insurers like Hagerty for part year/limited driving ins. I know they insure a lot of classic cars that are infrequently driven (the occasional cruise, events etc.).

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #135
You might want to try insurers like Hagerty for part year/limited driving ins. I know they insure a lot of classic cars that are infrequently driven (the occasional cruise, events etc.).
I did talk to Hagerty and Grundy a few years ago. Where it got complicated is when they wanted to insure most or all of the other vehicles, too.

Yes, I get that they want to know that I have something else to drive besides the "collector" vehicles, but not that they all but insisted that the lesser ones also be insured by them.

Basically, the resulting quotes would make the ones I wanted insured by them a little less expensive, but the rest would've cost more, so it would've been a net loss.

Now that I think about it, there was one company I used for only one (true) collector vehicle, and the rate was quite reasonable. Might be a good idea to check with that outfit.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Insurance in Florida took a moonshot recently..in some areas...it more than doubled...

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
I did talk to Hagerty and Grundy a few years ago. Where it got complicated is when they wanted to insure most or all of the other vehicles, too.

Yes, I get that they want to know that I have something else to drive besides the "collector" vehicles, but not that they all but insisted that the lesser ones also be insured by them.

Basically, the resulting quotes would make the ones I wanted insured by them a little less expensive, but the rest would've cost more, so it would've been a net loss.

Now that I think about it, there was one company I used for only one (true) collector vehicle, and the rate was quite reasonable. Might be a good idea to check with that outfit.
I, also, checked with numerous collector car insurance companies. Condon Skelly was the cheapest, but mandated collector cars must be in a locked building and you own another regular insured car. I will be checking again, it's been a few years. Down here in FL, we drive year round, no hibernation in the winter.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Ins. is not the reason I'd dump the SRT, it's that I've had it now for 6 weeks & < 400 miles and it's already a huge hassle & stopped being any fun.
Did I miss something?? What's going on with it?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Did I miss something?? What's going on with it?
C'mon...pay attention will ya...:rolleyes:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City