Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Why I do my own car maintenance and repair whenever possible

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Had Stage 2 installed. Week later I get under the car to install Petty Tie Downs for trailering. Saw 4 plastic push fasteners were missing from the front belly pan. And the bolts holding the rear belly pan were under the front belly pan. It appears that someone installed the front pan after the rear pan.

IMG_0027.jpg IMG_0028.jpg IMG_0026.jpg

I contacted the Parts Mgr who manages the Stage installs at the dealer saying that one has to wonder if there are simple mistakes like this, what else might have been missed? He asked the shop and they said “We did not touch the underside of the car”.

I asked about draining coolant to change the stat, the answer from the shop was that they remove the stat housing and let it drain from there, then top off after.

The Parts Mgr has always been a reasonable guy so I am not directing any anger at him. I told him that if they said they didn’t do it, that’s ok with me. Only it is very strange that everything was perfect at the last oil change that I did myself, and now it is incorrectly assembled with parts missing, and it has been in storage ever since. And, no one other than me touches the car except the state inspection almost a year ago. (I did not mention that the belly pans were clean, no sign of any pink coolant residue anywhere.)

He apologized, said he is only a go-between (shop and me), and offered to replace missing parts.

I will continue to do all repairs and maintenance on my vehicles whenever it I within my capability.

Someone recently asked me about the Stage Kit. My answer was:

“The good thing is that it is installed my a factory authorized dealer”.

“The bad part is that it is installed my a factory authorized dealer”.

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
It's alright. It's still going to rip at the track in a few weeks.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
FYI I never drain the coolant for a thermostat change and use the baggie method..

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I stopped going for an oil change when the tech came out and started whining about draining the oil cooler which they then gouged me on the bill.
I was very polite when I told them to fuck off.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
They tired charging more because they had to take all the shielding off I said shits already off did you even put it in the air lol

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Had dealer oil changes when I bought a package came out to $35 a change can’t beat that of course this was years ago when the world made sense

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
I stopped going for an oil change when the tech came out and started whining about draining the oil cooler which they then gouged me on the bill.
I was very polite when I told them to fuck off.
How do you politely tell someone to fuck off ? I've never learned that lesson

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Dealer only does oil changes to keep my extended warranty intact. So anything that goes wrong should be covered and I guess also done by them. Everything else on other vehicles is done by me unless I just can't get the time to do it and then I have a small shop I use for that stuff. My truck is there right now. Stopped at gas station Thursday night for gas and them wouldn't start. Had it towed to them because I'm working 12 hr shifts through Tuesday (NOT working Easter Sunday, that's for family) and just do not have the time. They called me yesterday and starter went out, they'll repair it Monday.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
In a very low tone you just tell them that what they have done is unacceptable. You won't ever come back and they can go fuck themselves over this bullshit. Have a nice day.

Smile while doing it.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #10
Best man at my wedding was a customer service rep (back in the day when there really was customer service). It was a medical equipment company and when things break they lose $. He would calm then down, express ship replacements etc. I convinced him to leave the customer service dead end and do sales. After jumping a couple of companies he makes $400k+. He has talent, charisma, and can definitely tell someone they are a f'king ahole to their face in front of others, and have everyone laughing about it! It can be and is done!

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #11
It's alright. It's still going to rip at the track in a few weeks.
New England Dragway opens next weekend! :)

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #12
Hey Unholy, why does that make you unhappy? I thought spring and racing was a happy thing?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Because I went to fix my car today and now it’s down. So no racing for me at the moment
Hey Unholy, why does that make you unhappy? I thought spring and racing was a happy thing?

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
New England Dragway opens next weekend! :)
My Home Track because of proximity. Won’t be up with 170 for a bit, only 250 miles. Not going to track it till that 1,500 number

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I also like the feeling where if I break something I don’t feel ripped off, like if I had someone do the work and they messed something up

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #16
I also like the feeling where if I break something I don’t feel ripped off, like if I had someone do the work and they messed something up
Usually when they screw up, they don't tell you and you find out later when it creates a problem.

I should have taken pics of my MT ET's that the dealer tore up! And damaged the wheels! They were so good until then... It's almost seems like the worst screw-ups are the simple things. I have to wonder if they put their lowest paid guy on the easy stuff.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Exactly. I know everything I booger or screw up when I do it 😅
Usually when they screw up, they don't tell you and you find out later when it creates a problem.

I should have taken pics of my MT ET's that the dealer tore up! And damaged the wheels! They were so good until then... It's almost seems like the worst screw-ups are the simple things. I have to wonder if they put their lowest paid guy on the easy stuff.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye
That is the d
Best man at my wedding was a customer service rep (back in the day when there really was customer service). It was a medical equipment company and when things break they lose $. He would calm then down, express ship replacements etc. I convinced him to leave the customer service dead end and do sales. After jumping a couple of companies he makes $400k+. He has talent, charisma, and can definitely tell someone they are a f'king ahole to their face in front of others, and have everyone laughing about it! It can be and is done!
That is the definition of being "tactful:" Being able to tell someone to go to Hell and having them thank you for the directions.

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Because I went to fix my car today and now it’s down. So no racing for me at the moment
I also still don't have my car so I'm not racing either at the moment.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I also still don't have my car so I'm not racing either at the moment.
Figured it would have been all together by now?