Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Why Hemis cost so much

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I know racer x is everyone's favorite but hearing what stellantis paid tesla for credits is insane. So you can put out a carbon footprint before the car hits the road and that is fine, they just care about after it hits the road

Member ID
Reactions
City
The Triad
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Dodge Demon 170
Much better resource on this is Marspeed. He broke down the fines and the 5.7 and 6.4 account for a VAST majority of the fines. Which makes sense because they were used in a variety of high volume models. And I made the point in my video that it was incompetence on the point of Chrysler to sit back and rake in Scat Pack/Hellcat/Redeye/Demo profits and spend ZERO dollars on making a modern Hemi engine that was either a hybrid or fuel efficient.

I hate to say it but Sergio, Manley, and Kuniskis inability to think about the future lead to the downfall of the Hemi. Just because the 6.4L and 6.2L engines are great, doesn't mean you stop innovating. Chevy didn't stop and look at the engines they have came out with since the 6.2L hemi debut and V8 engines they are still bringing out...

And don't believe the "Last Call" hype, I already know their new Hemi engine they are working on because the feel they temperature in the room and know Hurricanes/EV aren't going to carry brand while Ford and GM still using V8's

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
...I already know their new Hemi engine they are working on...

If you want to live to see another sunrise, you better start telling what you know... :oops:

:whistle:

:unsure:

;)

J/K of course...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
But not really...

...on the j/k part...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
...j/k...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
...maybe...

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
carbon credit are the biggest scam on the planet, this is old news, the credits dried up

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Carbon footprint/credits is just bullshit! Period! If they gave a crap they would go after China, India and the like! Their pollution doesn’t just stay over their countries!

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I’d watch the video but I just can’t stand racerX, there’s just something about the guy that I hate even hearing his voice 🤷🏻‍♂️

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
That makes 2 of us ! He’s a asshat!

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
And don't believe the "Last Call" hype, I already know their new Hemi engine they are working on because the feel the temperature in the room and know Hurricanes/EV aren't going to carry brand while Ford and GM still using V8's
I don't think it's the end of the v8s but I do think there's not gonna be another large displacement supercharged engine, mostly likely jump to turbo's at which point they compete with the germans.

I think the '23 redeyes/superstock will hold up pretty good in terms of long term value, everything else will probably come back down to earth.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Triad
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Dodge Demon 170
If you want to live to see another sunrise, you better start telling what you know... :oops:

:whistle:

:unsure:

;)

J/K of course...
Basically I know it will be a modern Hemi with DI so far I found out. I don't know displacement yet or FI options but I do know it will have a hybrid setup. I also know the Ralph Gilles is retiring after his current contract is up, I believe end of this year. And he would be the guy to thank because he pushed to make the next gen cars "Hemi swappable."

Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
I would have liked to see Stellantis make their V8 gas engines more fuel efficient instead of killing them off. Although GM did just that and basically ruined their 5.3 and 6.2 engines as they've been plagued with reliablity issues with just about everything they changed to make them more efficient. Lifters, fuel injectors, etc. Personal experience.

In either case, these turbo V6's aren't going to cut it. For me it's either 8 cylinders or not at all. And I've owned just about every form of modern powertrain over the past few decades, including electric.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
And don't believe the "Last Call" hype, I already know their new Hemi engine they are working on because the feel they temperature in the room and know Hurricanes/EV aren't going to carry brand while Ford and GM still using V8's
Liars!

(I hope :unsure:)

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I too have heard there is another V8 in development. With Ford and GM confirming they're continuing with V8 engine programs and even quoted as saying "for the long term future" Dodge has to in order to stay competitive I think.

I also think Stellantis doesn't understand the American car market. It's not like Europe where fuel has been quite a bit more expensive driving buyers to want more fuel effiicient cars. Laws are also starting to go in effect that fine drivers of older vehicles, like older than 2006 gas and 2015 diesel, if license plate readers catch them on the roads. London is an example: https://classicandsportscar.com/features/london-ulez-9-things-classic-car-drivers-need-know People have started vandalizing the LPR cameras at a high rate in those areas in protest.

That stuff worries me as if it catches on here it'll be a big deal. I still daily drive my 2002 4Runner.

Finally, a hybrid vehicle solution would have solved nearly all of these problems. 4WD Ram pickup with a V8 and an electric motor at each front wheel would be a win win. Give it some amount of fully electric range to positively impact CAFE numbers, do the same with the GT Challenger, GT Charger, etc and further drive down those CAFE numbers and it would allow them to continue producing the Hellcat models I would think.

Maybe I'm over simplifying, but hybrid should be the next phase for your average car, not a jump to full EV which no one's ready for. Guy I work with bought a Hyundai EV. He can't even get it serviced locally as the techs aren't certified. Had to have it towed hundreds of miles away for a simple recall.

Member ID
Reactions
City
The Triad
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Dodge Demon 170
I too have heard there is another V8 in development. With Ford and GM confirming they're continuing with V8 engine programs and even quoted as saying "for the long term future" Dodge has to in order to stay competitive I think.

I also think Stellantis doesn't understand the American car market. It's not like Europe where fuel has been quite a bit more expensive driving buyers to want more fuel effiicient cars. Laws are also starting to go in effect that fine drivers of older vehicles, like older than 2006 gas and 2015 diesel, if license plate readers catch them on the roads. London is an example: https://classicandsportscar.com/features/london-ulez-9-things-classic-car-drivers-need-know People have started vandalizing the LPR cameras at a high rate in those areas in protest.

That stuff worries me as if it catches on here it'll be a big deal. I still daily drive my 2002 4Runner.

Finally, a hybrid vehicle solution would have solved nearly all of these problems. 4WD Ram pickup with a V8 and an electric motor at each front wheel would be a win win. Give it some amount of fully electric range to positively impact CAFE numbers, do the same with the GT Challenger, GT Charger, etc and further drive down those CAFE numbers and it would allow them to continue producing the Hellcat models I would think.

Maybe I'm over simplifying, but hybrid should be the next phase for your average car, not a jump to full EV which no one's ready for. Guy I work with bought a Hyundai EV. He can't even get it serviced locally as the techs aren't certified. Had to have it towed hundreds of miles away for a simple recall.
They should have developed a hybrid hemi the moment hey finished the 2018 Demon engine. Learn from the Demon, apply what you gained, and innovate something like the 5.7 Hemi. Redesigned from the ground up, NA, turbo, twin turbo, hybrid, what ever. That engine could of went into every brand and inline 4/6 for the budget models.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
They should have developed a hybrid hemi the moment hey finished the 2018 Demon engine. Learn from the Demon, apply what you gained, and innovate something like the 5.7 Hemi. Redesigned from the ground up, NA, turbo, twin turbo, hybrid, what ever. That engine could of went into every brand and inline 4/6 for the budget models.
But they didn't. This has been a continuous cycle for Chrysler as long as I remember.

They design and build some great stuff, then sit back and admire it for years instead of constantly innovating the product line.

Then it becomes obsolete, they're broke and in need of financial help.

Last edited:

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye

Maybe I'm over simplifying, but hybrid should be the next phase for your average car, not a jump to full EV which no one's ready for. Guy I work with bought a Hyundai EV. He can't even get it serviced locally as the techs aren't certified. Had to have it towed hundreds of miles away for a simple
recall.
Bingo ! The frog leap straight to Electrification is the prime reason I am disappointed with Dodge. Not the only factor but THE NUMBER ONE reason for sure. If they developed a hybrid to offset the numbers while still retaining that visceral ICE vibe/feel and be able to Cary on great. If they do come out with an offering that is attractive, performance oriented with out all electrification I would recant my disappointment. One can only hope they are in development as I type. I won’t hold my breath. It just blows me away that a company that was so audacious, brash, in ya face, against the grain has turned 180 degree. Wife is shopping for a small car so her Silverado Duramax isn’t the prime motivation, but only used for horse trailering, farm chores etc. You can bet your boots the second car she is shopping for will not be a Hornet.

A couple months back when she started thinking about buying a second car she asked me what I thought about the Hornet. I said really your going there, your screwing with me right?
it basically ended there.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
But they didn't. This has been a continuous cycle for Chrysler as long as I remember.

They design and build some great stuff, then sit back and admire it for years instead of constantly innovating the product line.

Then it becomes obsolete and they're broke and in need of financial help.
SMFH.
I thought it was supposed to be “never let up”
More like let down. I thought they knew their market base.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
SMFH.
I thought it was supposed to be “never let up”
More like let down. I thought they knew their market base.
The frenchies think they can build anything, call it performance and Americans are so stupid that they will believe it and buy it.