Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Which Engine & Blower to build, what are your thoughts?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Will be interested to hear what the engine guy says. 428...might as well ask about a 440 too 😎

I've not heard of Jake but it's been a minute since I was researching builders. Arrington was the shizzle back in the day but they've changed hands so not sure now.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #22
Are you going all out on the block? Best of the best... Aluminum ?
Not trying to bash the KB but I’ve heard nothing but garbage about that SC. I know they run really hot & a pain inthe ass to tune if you run the big boy dual TB.
check out Alex at Better Built Performance.
He built my 426 and Marc’s as well.
Dam this is going to be a awesome build. I will be following this for sure.
Dave and I were chatting about that exact thing....need to research more.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Oh and glad to see a good car thread lol

Definitely steer clear of KB. I'd be curious what the new gen Whipple looks like, but for what you're trying to do turbos would probably work great.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #24
Will be interested to hear what the engine guy says. 428...might as well ask about a 440 too 😎

I've not heard of Jake but it's been a minute since I was researching builders. Arrington was the shizzle back in the day but they've changed hands so not sure now.
Dang it Speedy...I said that very thing to Dave yesterday. Why not a 440!? lol @hellno

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Will be interested to hear what the engine guy says. 428...might as well ask about a 440.
. Zdung is running a “428”. I haven’t bothered to ask why mine would be a “426” vs that. It’s a 7.0 and whatever the exact displacement is I guess would depend on the crank used. Mine is a Molnar. I want to think it’s a 426 because.... you know 🙄

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Are you going all out on the block? Best of the best... Aluminum ?
Not trying to bash the KB but I’ve heard nothing but garbage about that SC. I know they run really hot & a pain inthe ass to tune if you run the big boy dual TB.
check out Alex at Better Built Performance.
He built my 426 and Marc’s as well.
Dam this is going to be a awesome build. I will be following this for sure.
Oh and glad to see a good car thread lol

Definitely steer clear of KB. I'd be curious what the new gen Whipple looks like, but for what you're trying to do turbos would probably work great.
Oh yeah, definitely steer clear of the KB's, nothing but garbage ;)

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
We could use a killer TT build on here...

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Ok I think you should pay attention to the New Whipple coming out!

And Call Bruce at HHP.to have a 426 Hemi built with a Billet Crank and Billet Rods!

You are wanting more power so go for the Best!

Linda :)

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #29
We could use a killer TT build on here...
True, but
Ok I think you should pay attention to the New Whipple coming out!

And Call Bruce at HHP.to have a 426 Hemi built with a Billet Crank and Billet Rods!

You are wanting more power so go for the Best!

Appreciate that Linda. I am looking to do something that the entire community is not doing.

But I did meet with Allpar Garage tonight and we have some options. Once everything comes together and we start ordering parts; I will let everyone know the build and timelines.
Just excited to be partnering with Jimmy and Carlos (Allpar Garage).

we plan on building a monster and winning more races next year! :)

HellcatMatt

Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Speedy,
I'm the money man and driver :) Not turning too many wrenches here. LOL!
As far as shops, I partner with Allpar Garage and they have over 40 years experience in MOPAR. Thus I'm in great hands.

But I am going up to Dave's shop tomorrow in Memphis and we are calling Jake with "Sampson Racing Engines" and asking about his 428 long block.

Anyone have any experience with Jake?
Late to the party. I’m running Jake Sampson’s 428ci with a 4.2L KB.

Jake is small time but he is very meticulous and builds one heck of an engine. Communication and working with him was top notch. Call, text or messaging, he was always responsive.
My engine is way over built for how I’m using it but that was the intent.

As far as the KB it’s been a great but it absolutely needs additional cooling (chiller or ice tank) to manage IAT’s. We were seeing as high as 200* on a pull to 150mph. I have a FI interchiller waiting to go in for next season.

If I were building a car now, I would be waiting to see what the new Whipple 3.8 has to offer before I pulled the trigger on anything.

Here is an article on Jake during my build if you’re interested:
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2019/09/eotw-428-cid-gen-iii-hemi-hellcat-engine/

891836B2-91E9-4727-B2A3-F6B2420F19A3.jpeg 1EB9DA74-509C-4170-8045-9392984971E9.jpeg

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT

Jake is small time but he is very meticulous and builds one heck of an engine. Communication and working with him was top notch. Call, text or messaging, he was always responsive.

As far as the KB it’s been a great but it absolutely needs additional cooling (chiller or ice tank) to manage IAT’s. We were seeing as high as 200* on a pull to 150mph. I have a FI interchiller waiting to go in for next season.

If I were building a car now, I would be waiting to see what the new Whipple 3.8 has to offer before I pulled the trigger on anything.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2019/09/eotw-428-cid-gen-iii-hemi-hellcat-engine/

View attachment 33853 View attachment 33854
Beautiful build!

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #32

View attachment 33853 View attachment 33854
Looks great. Jake and I are chatting for the last couple of weeks. Let's see where his pricing and delivery timeline are.

But I do agree, he focuses on details and wants to build the best engine possible.

I'm hoping to start my build in the next several weeks. Want to be ready for Texas 2K in March.

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
That is a clean build Sir! Looks great!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
@Dman007 did I see your car in one of the mopar mags I believe from a MSHS race? Was paging through one of them at the store and I think it was your car?

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Looks great. Jake and I are chatting for the last couple of weeks. Let's see where his pricing and delivery timeline are.

But I do agree, he focuses on details and wants to build the best engine possible.

I'm hoping to start my build in the next several weeks. Want to be ready for Texas 2K in March.
KB Builds can be huge when racing!

Colby Because you seem to be like my husband ( Top Cat ) and like the "Bigger is Better" means faster. I am going to give you a few tips to think about as I have a Race Car that had a KB 4.2 on it.

The World's Fastest Hellcat runs a Big KB it has all the safety gear and all the heavy upgraded mods to support all the Power to the ground from the extra big torque from the KB.

1.Try to remember Leon built his Hell Cat in his "Epling's Garage" and in stages with always testing the mods on the way.

2. Your Speed shop of course will want you to build this but are they willing to support you freely at the track since you will be touting them. If you don't line things up right now you may be disappointed because you car is always in the shop.

3. Are you OK to be the R&D Guy? My Husband was with my KB build I was not and wanted to be on the track.

4.Does your shop have any experience with a KB Build of any kind on a Hemi? Who's Hellcat and what are the results from the track?

5. Are you going to add all the safety equipment an get your license? ( Maybe you all ready did?)

6. I would think about if this is your race car then you might want to consider Holley for Tuning ware.

7. Do you know all the supporting mods that need to be added? Please just don't think it's OK we will figure it out on the way.

8. Have you thought about your Trans Upgrade?

9. And BTW the KB definitely needs everything possible for cooling it down. Mine had an ice box, intercooler, meth injection and we had to ice it down on Top of that! Maybe for Hellcats there are newer ways.

10. All is possible with lots of $$$$$$ decide your limit and what you want for an ET. A Shop should be able to give you a parts list and quote a ball park price. Things become available and may help the build.

John enjoyed the R&D, T&T, being Crew Chief, watching, and racing. He was different. The above comes from how I felt.

You are a racer and want to enjoy the track.

Happy New Year!

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Stop pussy footing around, if you wanna go real fast, do the right thing.

34E4A211-A492-4583-94B4-69A9A046AA2B.jpeg E5BCB5D5-6956-4FBC-9EB3-457658F0E5F7.jpeg 614CD01E-B8BE-4506-BA32-2A08558BD3AA.jpeg 87E3B0F0-F827-48B9-A653-3E4EA591D8F6.jpeg B8D35321-5684-4290-9354-CB58C17D9FE0.jpeg 36A78B6A-2EA6-4F9A-BF77-9F60A6044C35.png

Attachments

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #37
@Dman007 did I see your car in one of the mopar mags I believe from a MSHS race? Was paging through one of them at the store and I think it was your car?
Yes we are in MOPAR Action Magazine. Really good write up.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Yes we are in MOPAR Action Magazine. Really good write up.
Post a new thread with pics about it. Very cool to have your car in a magazine. I have been close a couple of times with articles on mine. I have had small pics and have been mentioned

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #39
Post a new thread with pics about it. Very cool to have your car in a magazine. I have been close a couple of times with articles on mine. I have had small pics and have been mentioned
I can not find an online copy of this month of MOPAR Action:

1609644185473.png

Member ID
Reactions
City
Corona
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2006 Charger SRT8