Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Valve or something else?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
That sucks.

Where were you getting the e85? Out here we do not have any at pumps so you have to buy from small time fuel distributors. I have not had it happen but some friends have seen QC issues in at least one batch.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #22
In town from a well-known national fuel station. 45 minutes away. They get it from Houston and deliver it to Tucson. On several occasions I tested it. E85.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #23
Interesting. This is why I run a tank of 93 through my car every month or so. I noticed factory flex fuel vehicles recommend a tank of normal gasoline at least once every oil change.

@jonx96 @vortecd
Yes, and I have an emergency 93 tune that I can flash in, so I do not foul out the plugs. I assume the E85 tune would allow too much 93 fuel in and possibly foul out the plugs.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #24
Can an injector be 100 percent clogged and therefore when accelerating and asking the computer for more fuel start coming out of the injector and hitting the hot part of the engine causing smoke?

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #25
My mechanic texted me back. The engine computer thinks it is running lean on the drivers bank so it pumps a ton more fuel into the other cylinders making them run ultra rich. Then the smoke comes out between the header and the exhaust pipe. It is never a 100 percent seal there.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
My mechanic texted me back. The engine computer thinks it is running lean on the drivers bank so it pumps a ton more fuel into the other cylinders making them run ultra rich. Then the smoke comes out between the header and the exhaust pipe. It is never a 100 percent seal there.
Well if an injectors is clogged it wouldn’t think it would be lean it would actually be lean. If it is dumping to much fuel unnecessarily it is either a bad tune or bad o2 sensor.
if it’s an injector issue I would 100 percent send them out to be cleaned. I would also log each injector individually and make sure it looks right for the next few drives.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #27
Yes he marked them all. They are getting read before and after the cleaning. I will change the 02 sensor on the drivers side.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
He said it was e85 gunk. Has not texted me back on the smoke issue. At dealership with my younger daughters car. Vandalized at a park last night with broken window and they put a hole in the radiator among other things. 2022 keeps on giving! 222 instead of 666!
WTF...you even have hoodlums in Arizona...:unsure:

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #29
WTF...you even have hoodlums in Arizona...:unsure:
Lol and it takes a week to count all votes! Tucson is the gateway for drug dealers over the southern border.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Lol and it takes a week to count all votes! Tucson is the gateway for drug dealers over the southern border.
Well not surprised...never met a Mexican that can count fast...

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Interesting. This is why I run a tank of 93 through my car every month or so. I noticed factory flex fuel vehicles recommend a tank of normal gasoline at least once every oil change.

@jonx96 @vortecd
Been e85 all year for me. Car has run fine. Jon is getting me a flex tune so I can put 93 in for the winter.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Well if an injectors is clogged it wouldn’t think it would be lean it would actually be lean. If it is dumping to much fuel unnecessarily it is either a bad tune or bad o2 sensor.
if it’s an injector issue I would 100 percent send them out to be cleaned. I would also log each injector individually and make sure it looks right for the next few drives.
I think what could be happening is one cylinder has a clogged injector, so that cylinder is lean. This causes the O2 sensor for that bank to think it's leaner than expected and probably bumps the fuel trims positive as a result so the rest of the cylinders get more fuel then they need. Just a guess though.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Been e85 all year for me. Car has run fine. Jon is getting me a flex tune so I can put 93 in for the winter.
There's a guy on the other forum that says he's been E85 for 3 years straight and like 40K miles. My buddy, however, has been E85 for about 18 months in his Trackhawk and now his motor is burned up as a result of some kind of fueling issue. He sent me pics of some kind of goo in his fuel lines. I sent them to Jon. I have no idea if it has to do with the type of E85 available or what, but running 93 every once in a while is what I highly recommend as a "just in case".

Last edited:
OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #34
I think what could be happening is one cylinder has a clogged injector, so that cylinder is lean. This causes the O2 sensor for that bank to think it's leaner than expected and probably bumps the fuel trims positive as a result so the rest of the cylinders get more fuel then they need. Just a guess though.
Exactly. That is what my mechanic texted me. And gases from unburnt e85 squeeze out from gaskets that are not gas tight.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #35
There's a guy on the other forum that says he's been E85 for 3 years straight and like 40K miles. My buddy, however, has been E85 for about 18 months in his Trackhawk and now his motor is burned up as a result of some kind of fueling issue. He sent me pics of some kind of good in his fuel lines. I sent them to Jon. I have no idea if it has to do with the type of E85 available or what, but running 93 every once in a while is what I highly recommend as a "just in case".
Agreed. I may just run it 75 percent of the time as my car is useless for full throttle on the street.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #36
Is seafoam or the chevron additive ok to add to the e85 once in a while? Also I am wondering if the fuel tank should be dropped to clean it out?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I must have miss read. Yes the lean condition from one cylinder the rest will try to over compensate.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #38
We decided to replace the heads. So, he bought the redeye/demon heads and Texas Speed is going to port and polish them. That is all I need. An additional 40 rwhp! Hey, maybe one of you guys can come to Tucson and run her down the track for me. It is a lot of car for me at my advancing age. :). Fully weighted at over 4000 feet DA she will run 9.5 pre-head change. So maybe 9.2 or .3 at 4-5K DA. Any volunteers?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
We decided to replace the heads. So, he bought the redeye/demon heads and Texas Speed is going to port and polish them. That is all I need. An additional 40 rwhp! Hey, maybe one of you guys can come to Tucson and run her down the track for me. It is a lot of car for me at my advancing age. :). Fully weighted at over 4000 feet DA she will run 9.5 pre-head change. So maybe 9.2 or .3 at 4-5K DA. Any volunteers?
@DRAGRCR would be your guy. He isn't far from you

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #40
Actually I would like to meet him one day. I lived in so cal until 96.