Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thoughts on this Used Hellcat Challenger?

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #22
Soooo...you've probably seen this one. 2017, Destroyer Gray, 6-MT.

Not my style but might be yours. If not, unsure what it would take to undo-it or might be an opportunity to make it yours. Apologies for the link to the other site. Out of the two, I'd buy the one you have linked above but that's just my taste...

https://www.hellcat.org/threads/2017-destroyer-gray-challenger-6-speed-49-999.246130/#post-4355182
Yep, thanks for sharing, definitely saw that one. To each their, their own I guess I could say. Not exactly my style as some of those accents would be somewhat hard to remove.

If he was closer, then I would consider negotiating, but considering the cost of shipping or flight and drive would put it that much further away. Available time is that much worse off.

However, essentially that would be the exact car I want, minus the accoutrements and distance.

I have zero issue with Billet though.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The Billet car looks great and the price seems right. Maybe you could get another $1k off but whatever.

Buy the car you want. Don't worry about the time frame, the prices on these cars don't have anywhere to go but down.

PS - I like that Billet car.

PPs - I think you should buy that Billet car.

PPPS - I've had a few cold ones...

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Do you have Car Fax reports in the US? These usually show service and recall records. They also show registrations which will tell you how many have owned it. I was able to connect with the previous owner through the dealer that serviced it. I just asked the dealer to connect us to have the PO contact me

06SRT10NR

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Knobnation
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat M6
might try just going to the mopar owners site, and add the vin to your garage. if its working it'll at least show serving at dealerships
https://www.mopar.com/dodge/en-us/my-vehicle/dashboard.html

Edit: entered a vin for a car I previously owned, worked, but the level of detail is seriously lacking ... sri

Last edited:
OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #26
might try just going to the mopar owners site, and add the vin to your garage. if its working it'll at least show serving at dealerships
https://www.mopar.com/dodge/en-us/my-vehicle/dashboard.html

Edit: entered a vin for a car I previously owned, worked, but the level of detail is seriously lacking ... sri
Hmm, I went to the site and added the VIN, but when I click on Service Records, it asks for the VIN again, then when I put it gives me error. Keeps going in a loop.

Do you have Car Fax reports in the US? These usually show service and recall records. They also show registrations which will tell you how many have owned it. I was able to connect with the previous owner through the dealer that serviced it. I just asked the dealer to connect us to have the PO contact me
Yes, I have the Car fax report and it's pretty detailed, but there a few times in which is just says the vehicle was serviced, but doesn't go into detail. Other times, it says exactly what was performed. It seems that it was mostly serviced at the Dodge dealership. Also looks like the 2nd owner had the car for a 1 1/2 years and only put like 2K miles. So this car spent most of its life with the original owner.

Looks like I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. Hope all checks out.

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #27
Just got back from doing a quick check over the car. Unfortunately, it was raining and cold, so I didn't take it for a test drive. The salesman offered, but I said I'd come back on a nicer day. I didn't want my first ride in a hellcat end up being in a ditch.

The interior was absolutely excellent. The supercharger sounded fine. Most of the car seemed to be in visibly good shape except for the front fascia. It looks like it may have been bottomed out hard. There were two notable cracks in the fascia and more than a handful of paint scuffs down the black plastic. The splitter also looks like it was starting to separate from the fascia. They offered to touch up the paint on all the scuffs, but wouldn't fix the cracks or the splitter damage. There was also a light, long ding on the passenger fender. Honestly, not the end of the world to me... I don't plan on this being a Concours car; I plan to drive it a lot.

My wife ended up coming (against my will), and being the utmost perfectionist / pessimist, she's worried that it was in a front end accident and things are mechanically wrong. Now, I didn't get the car on the lift to inspect, but told the salesman said it'd be fine if I want to bring someone in to take a look over it mechanically.

I can tell my wife is sort of against it, but I'm ok with having some of the damage. It's a 6 year old car that has some miles on it. I plan on driving it and probably doing some minor damage myself. I care more about things mechanically. They pulled the service record when their mechanics looked at it when it was traded in and they did an alignment, oil change, replaced rear brakes (I think just pads) and did note the damage to the front splitter which they did not want to invest in fixing.

Here are just a couple of pics if anyone can offer their input as owners. I still think it's a good price. Thoughts?

Are these little crinkles running along the inside of the fender/engine bay normal?

Pic1.jpg

This was probably the worst of the front end damage. You can see the separation and the crack. I'd definitely need to address the separation. The inch long crack is not a deal breaker. The bottom of the splitter wasn't eaten up too badly, so wondering if this was an impact from the top side. There was another crack just above this picture on the fascia just below the headlight. That crack was a little more pronounced...should've took a picture.
Pic6.jpg

Here you can kind of see the separation of the splitter on the sides...Though those gaps could just be Dodge factory quality

Pic5.jpg Pic4.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #28
Just a little update on my shopping experience...was set to do a PPI with a mechanic on above car last Thursday afternoon, but it was sold out under me a couple hours prior (salesman dropped the ball and was silent for a few days in setting up a day to have it in service shop).

Later that afternoon, I refreshed the various search sites and the same exact spec'd car came up for sale through Vroom. Had 12,000 less miles and only couple thousand more. I though it was a sign that it was meant to be.

I spoke to a Vroom salesman for probably over an hour, though I was hesitant to buy a car site unseen, was assured if I found anything mechanically defective within 7 days they'd send a truck to pick it up and fully refund me. So I put a $500 deposit down and did my financing/insurance the next morning. I called the salesman and left a VM in the morning (he told me that he'd be around all day Friday), but never got back to me.

Then on another forum, someone mentioned that Vroom is a $hit show. So I Googled, looked a BBB, etc, and sure enough, I never heard such bad things about a Company in my life. I called Vroom this morning to cancel my order and get my deposit back, but apparently, I have do that through the salesman that I spoke to, but he wasn't there. So it's been 3 full days and no word back from the salesman. Anyway, based on everything I've read and heard, I would never do business with this company.

Now I'm back to the drawing board...I went back to a 2017 M6 DG with Black stripes that I've been seeing in NJ. It's pretty much how I would have built it myself in 2017 except I would have done alcantara vs Laguna. Only thing that I've noticed is that the exhaust seems to be aftermarket, but not sure if it's just tips or a complete catback. Can anyone tell if this is a catback they've seen before or just a set of tips? Would prefer it be stock exhaust for now...plus it's something I can point out for potential negotiation. Otherwise, price is at $49,450, but seems they have a BS $695 dealer fee for lojack that they've installed. I don't want anything to do with that and not too happy if they've already done and spliced into the harness for it.

DG17 Ex.jpg