Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thoughts on this Used Hellcat Challenger?

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Hello All,

Been tire kicking Challengers for a while...the 2020 mayhem sort of threw a curveball, so I stayed away. Starting to get the heavy itch again and have been searching through the various used car sites. Came across this one last night. Price seemed reasonably well considering the used car market has been at a premium. I can literally walk to the dealership, so it's a plus that they're local. I did reach out last night and they backed off another $1,000, but won't go lower than that.

To be honest, still not entirely sure if I want to get 392 or hellcat. I think the 392 would suit the needs as an all around driver; not looking to any drag racing (street or strip). However, there's a ton of Scat Packs around my parts and the more unique models (SRT 392, SPWB, T/A 392) approach that $40K mark, which is nearly a used Hellcat. Pre-pandemic, I was setting my goals at used $42K M6, preferably 2017 under 30K miles. Luckily, I'm not in any rush, but am bored as shit.

Any input, aside from the previous owner who likely had a sticker fetish? There is a link to the carfax report which shows all its service records.

https://www.maseratili.com/inventor...er-srt-hellcat-rwd-2d-coupe-2c3cdzc99fh838634

Thanks for your input.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If you are wanting as a daily, why not.
Should get input from other 15 owners though.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
28k miles makes that a $40-42k car in my book. Doesnt mean they'll sell it for that but that would be my goal. In reality $44k is prob about right with the miles in today's market. Hard to believe a dealer doesnt know enough to pull the goofy placed decals off.

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #4
If you are wanting as a daily, why not.
Should get input from other 15 owners though.
Yea, pretty much a part time daily. I did mention that I was a little wary of the 15's because I heard of potential S/C bearing issues.

28k miles makes that a $40-42k car in my book. Doesnt mean they'll sell it for that but that would be my goal. In reality $44k is prob about right with the miles in today's market. Hard to believe a dealer doesnt know enough to pull the goofy placed decals off.
Yea, pre-pandemic, that's pretty much what I was shooting for. I think they're into over $42K themselves. Looks like they got in November, so prices were elevated as well. Seems like it's a reasonable deal compared to what else out there now, but wondering if there will be some more retreat for the winter. God only know which way the market is going to trend this year.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Tbh paying a couple of G's over your target price isnt bad right now. I dont see them depreciating going into the spring.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I'd say keep looking. 2015's would be out of warranty and some do have the SC bearing issue(mine did). I know they hold their value but that's the same price I paid almost 3 years ago. If you do decide to go with it, and don't plan on modding, I would see about some kind of extended warranty..... and tell the dealership to take all those stickers off lol

Last edited:

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Right as COVID hit and the economy started downhill, I bought my Hellcat Challenger. 2016 with all the bells and whistles from the original owner, had 30k miles on it (A8) and I paid effectively $40k for it. $45k for the car in your link is probably a couple thousand high but if it fits your budget and that car checks all the boxes for you, I'd pick it up.

Being a 392 guy that went Hellcat, I will never go back to a 392. Great cars and amazing value but the Hellcat, especially used, is worth every penny. It is a fantastic daily driver (which is how I used mine) and is just a lot of fun.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Also, the front brakes have been done on that car, which is a big plus in my book. You can tell because it has the new style rotors (with less slots - 3 to be exact IIRC). If you aren't aware, those rotors are about $650 each from a good discount Mopar site.

30k miles is about when brakes will need to be done, maybe earlier, so if you did the work yourself and bought Mopar parts, it would cost you around $1500 to do. So there is some value in there if other cars you are looking at have not had them done.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Before I bought any used Hellcat I'd make a condition of sale to have the dealer pull codes on it. Maybe out of warranty but at lease you could see if it's been modded.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
It’s hard right now with the used market judging its worth. There’s more than just the supercharger with the 15s. The 15s had a weaker driveshaft. I think they improved that in 16. Also, I’m sure you’ve heard the term pinning the crank. I believe it was 18 they changed the bolt to help “fix” the problem. For what it’s worth I paid 44k for mine which had 25k on it and was a A8 and that was in August. But it was listed for 49500 and I went and looked at it and talked him down. He was desperate to get rid of it because he wanted some sort of Mercedes. I wouldn’t rush right into this one just because you think it’s a steal. There’s a few Facebook groups I see a fair amount go for sale on. I’m sure more will pop up in the spring. I don’t believe the 15s had Apple play or the Android version either.

Last edited:

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
One more thing to add it is nice buying a car with some warranty. In the few months I had mine the radio got bubbles in the screen and the back up camera quit. That would about have made up the difference to try and save a few grand right there.

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #12
Thanks for your input...lot's of good points to consider. Anything with a remaining warranty (2018+), it likely out of what I have budgeted for myself. I could look at extended warranties, but I honestly hate anyone else touching my car. I can do most auto repairs (less internal engine, tranny and rear) myself, so I can save on potential repairs/maintenance. Good point about the rotors...I felt that $ pain when I switched over to two piece when upgrading my Viper's brakes.

I'll keep this one in mind and keep perusing around. I might just keep sending out some offers and see if anyone bites. Still setting my sites on a 2017.

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #13
Just following back up on this one. Looks like they are getting a little more anxious to move on this one. I asked them if they could pull the service records; thought there might be a 1% chance since they are a Maserati dealership, that they may have access to Dodges database. Obviously that was a no...they said reach out to the original Dodge dealership. I put in a request and pretty sure they ignored it. I could go to the original Dodge dealership in person, but on past experience, they were difficult to deal with.

Are there any other options of getting the service records pulled? I’m working on setting an appointment to look at this one as soon as I can, but would feel much better knowing what happened during each service record.

To be honest, I’m not terrified if the supercharger bearings go bad, as I could likely replace them myself or just have the whole thing sent out to be reworked.

Considering all that is going on in Dodge/SRT/Stellantis EV pharma over the past couple of weeks, combined with chip shortages and no new manual HC offerings, I feel like my timeline has significantly shortened.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Honestly, I wouldn't sweat the service records too much. I know people do and that's great, but it's not an end all/be all w/ the mileage on this car. Like I pointed out above, they already did the brakes, which is $$$$, so probably safe to assume they kept up with the maintenance. Either way, you could always buy the car and then do all the service you wanted just for peace of mind.

It's used, you're getting it probably $30k cheaper than new, you might have to put a little money into it but you're still money ahead.

Any decent Dodge dealer should tell you the service history if you just call them and give them the VIN though. They obviously can't tell you anything about the previous owner (PII) but they can tell you want they see has been done to the car. I've done this multiple times with many different brands, most recently my BMW (even though I bought it CPO). Just call and have the VIN ready, tell them you're thinking about purchasing the car and they should be able to help you.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Given the recent decision to disband SRT I think all SC V8s will be getting a shot in the arm value-wise short medium and long term. 2021 may be the last year they make an all ICE hellcat.

What's the bottom dollar they gave you? Personally, I wouldn't dicker on +-1K

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
And to help calm your nerves a bit, I bought a 30k mile Hellcat and drove it until 47k until I sold it. Only thing I did was the brakes and oil changes, plus the filters and what not. The great thing about these cars is they give you supercar excitement without supercar cost. Hell, my local dealer gave me 3 synthetic oil/filter changes for $150. That's $50 per oil/filter change, i.e. cheaper than you could ever buy the parts.

EDIT: Seeing the price now, I'd go look at this car and, if all seemed right, I would buy it. Looks great and the price seems pretty good. Don't let me convince myself to buy it!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Figure out what you want and go look for it. You won't be happy if you buy something because it is close or cheap. I wanted silver as my #1 when I went looking and that is what I bought. No regrets!

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #18
Thanks for the reassuring comments. I’m trying to keep the emotion out of the decision. A month ago their drop dead was $44k, today it’s at 43.5k listed.

I’ve been back and forth with the salesman over the last month.

This color is high on my priority list. It’s the same color as my truck. Destroyer gray is #1; which is closer to my Viper. As mentioned, I don’t think time is on my side. I already emailed the salesman and asked if I can check it out in person. I feel reasonably confident in giving it a good once over for any serious mechanical defects.

This car pretty much checks all the boxes; manual, color, under 30k miles. Only knock is 2015 with potential issues, which can I fix myself.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Well it may work out and being close is a bonus. I went 750 miles for mine but I will always remember the trip going somewhere I have never been and meeting John (SilverBillet)

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #20
Well it may work out and being close is a bonus. I went 750 miles for mine but I will always remember the trip going somewhere I have never been and meeting John (SilverBillet)
Nice! When I was Viper hunting, I was .. this close buying one in NV. Was planning on jumping on a plane with my step father and driving all the way back to NY.

Oddly enough, the exact one I always wanted popped up at a low volume used dealer like 6 miles away. Hmmm, this dealer is only 3 miles away...

Gotta say, one of the best experiences in my entire life was driving back and forth from NY to New Orleans for our Bi-annual National Viper Event. I think I logged in 3k miles just over a week.

Just as an FYI... I bought my Viper with 33k on the clock...I’ve done plenty of maintenance, but no major powertrain issues 26k later. Best decision I’ve ever made.