Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

This should get CC all ramped up...

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Who is this CC you speak of πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜…πŸ€£πŸ˜‚.
He is a dealer on hellcatforums parading as one of us while selling his cars for a profit after getting good deals. 🀣🀣

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I agree. This is a Turbo V6 and front drive electric motors to get its heavy ass moving.

Think of it; Dodge’s β€œZora” with 1500 lbs of fat added.
I think dodge is gonna hold onto the v8 niche as long as they can, bmw and mercedes are still running v8s, they went from 6.2L N/A v8's all the way down to 4.0 twin turbo v8.

I would be willing to bet dodge will explore this possibility, i could see something like a 5.7L twin turbo v8 with auto start/stop coupled with a large electric motor think f150 powerboost here. The electric motor takes over whenever it can to preserve gas mileage, including completely at times under 50 mph.

This is the only scenario I can see them able to keep the price down below 100k coupled with electric tax credits from the government.

Development of a new motor and powertrain is costly and expensive, mb and bmw can afford to do it because they use variants of those engines on lower trim cars that still sell for 60-70k, dodge doesn't have that luxury.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
He is a dealer on hellcatforums parading as one of us while selling his cars for a profit after getting good deals. 🀣🀣
Basically a car pimp πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜…πŸ€£πŸ˜‚.

giphy.gif

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
LMAO πŸ˜‚

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Aww man, Slowpoke got me all ramped up because this EV insider "automotive journalist" doesn't know the difference between Fast and Quick!!! I hate that!

CC is definitely one of the BMOC's of this forum. Bet he wears his collars popped. Actually, he is one of my heroes.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Click bait stories like that always give me a chuckle. The thing for "Dodge" and these performance cars is their target market. I'd say VERY few cross shop a Tesla and a Hellcat. Two completely different markets and after all the success the "brotherhood of muscle" ad campaigns have had I think that's the tell. Whether Dodge can produce another car as good as the Hellcat going forward in this political environment will determine the future though I think.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Click bait stories like that always give me a chuckle. The thing for "Dodge" and these performance cars is their target market. I'd say VERY few cross shop a Tesla and a Hellcat. Two completely different markets and after all the success the "brotherhood of muscle" ad campaigns have had I think that's the tell. Whether Dodge can produce another car as good as the Hellcat going forward in this political environment will determine the future though I think.
I have always said Dodge screwed the pooch😁. Being they did such an incredible job on the Hellcat Product it will be incredibly tough to replace it and keep us ICE AGE addicts loyal to the brand.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
It really lies on the epa, they would be producing 2022 durango hellcats if they could get past the epa fuel requirements.

The bubble will bust when strict regulations are put on fuel economy, we already get taxed hard enough, from 2015-2019 hellcats had $1700 gas guzzler tax, since 2020 it has jumped up to $2100. They are eventually going to tax us so hard that fca will decide it no longer makes sense to make ice only engines.

I think forced induction and/or hybrid powertrains are the next step.

With the type of market and money required for r&d into electric motors I would wager fully electric motors are at least 7-10 years away from fully replacing the ice hybrid powertrains.

It's all speculation though, I don't think anybody anticipated ford dropping a fully electric f150 out so quickly.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
The biggest problem I see with electric cars for the masses is that they are still priced too high. They average person who can buy a brand new Honda Civic, or Toyota Corolla for around $20k and get 40 mpg is typically not in the market to pay twice that price or more for an electric vehicle.
The price will have to come way down before the masses that buy econoboxes now will buy electric econoboxes.

And you also have to consider the charging infrastructure, or lack thereof. There are millions of people who live in rental properties and apartment complexes. How are they going to charge their cars? It's hard enough to get a landlord to fix a leaky faucet, let alone pay the thousdands of dollars in electrical upgrades to an apartment building or complex to have a sufficient number of charging stations. And even if they did, who's going to pay for the electricity. If I owned a complex and put in charging stations for electric vehicles, I sure as hell ain't eating the cost of charging your vehicle.

Last edited:

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
The biggest problem I see with electric cars for the masses is that they are still priced too high. They average person who can buy a brand new Honda Civic, or Toyota Corolla for around $20k and get 40 mpg is typically not in the market to pay twice that price or more for an electric vehicle.
The price will have to come way down before the masses that buy econoboxes now will buy electric econoboxes.

And you also have to consider the charging infrastructure, or lack thereof. There are millions of people who live in rental properties and apartment complexes. How are they going to charge their cars? It's hard enough to get a landlord to fix a leaky faucet, let alone pay the thousdands of dollars in electrical upgrades to an apartment building or complex to have a sufficient number of charging stations. And even if they did, who's going to pay for the electricity. If I owned a complex and put in charging stations for electric vehicles, I sure as hell ain't eating the cost of charging your vehicle.
Infrastructure will take time.

There are alternatives, being a hellcat forum most on here are doing well enough and only look at the tesla's of the electric world but truth be told there's stuff like the chevy bolt, nissan leaf, etc etc. Not sexy by any means but they get the job done if one needs electric form of transportation.

Bigger problem I see is time to charge is slow, nobody wants to spend their lunch break charging their car and going out of their way, back to Infrastructure there's just not enough chargers yet.

Last point I'll touch on is battery life, it has been proven battery life decreases over time with these lithium ion setups, I'm no expert here but I do here good things about glass batteries possibly changing that.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Something on infrastructure.... as noted, I have a cabin out in New Mexico and I'm signed up for the Ford Lightning truck (mainly as a local work vehicle). So, out of curiosity, I checked with Ford's "route planner" which also ties in with government and other websites, to see what the charger situation is if I needed to head out there in the EVT. Well, blow me down, there are chargers in Lamesa, in Hobbs, in Artesia, and at my destination itself. All but the Ford network chargers are free. Truck should have the range to get there on its own, but always nice to know you've got back up.

My interest was peaked because one of the heavier investors in chargers was McDonalds (which I abhor). Others were owned by power companies and such. And the McD's that had them installed had 4 while most other places were singles, except Ford network, that had 2 at a time. Now these are pretty small towns way the hell out in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico, and they won't support an army of EVs but I was personally impressed with that coverage. It was the LAST route I expected to have any coverage.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I have always said Dodge screwed the pooch😁. Being they did such an incredible job on the Hellcat Product it will be incredibly tough to replace it and keep us ICE AGE addicts loyal to the brand.
Oh I dunno bout that...I'd say an electric over ICE hybrid Dodge producing 1000 plus HP..will keep the faithful satisfied..

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I think electric cars, at least in their current form, are a fad and most folks that buy or are interested in them are what I call your Iphone crowd. They buy something because they want to be part of a click to feel special. That may change over time, but it fits the character at least for what I see around my area. Once the government subsidies, or I guess I should say "if" the government subsidies, run out sales will plummet and these one off car companies won't be around anymore.

Nissan is only a few miles from me and talking to some of their folks they buy competitor cars to evaluate to see where deficiencies are, and try to improve those on their offerings. The battery thing is a big deal, with these batteries losing 50 or 60% of their charging capacity over 3-4 years. The car companies like Tesla are banking on people not keeping the car that long and swapping it for a new one. Battery replacement is $$$$.

Electric cars aren't going anywhere but they're a LONG way off from being mainstream. I didn't even mention the electrical infrastructure problem. I suspect eventually there'll be an "electricity" tax on these cars to help cover infrastructure improvements and then likely a premium to those families for plugging them in. Electricity isn't free after all.

I have no interest in them at all in today's form. If they do something really cool with them in the future perhaps. I'll always have a ICE hot rod around and I just hope that as more people start to jump in the electric band wagon gasoline prices drop considerably. That's likely wishful thinking though.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I think electric cars, at least in their current form, are a fad and most folks that buy or are interested in them are what I call your Iphone crowd. They buy something because they want to be part of a click to feel special. That may change over time, but it fits the character at least for what I see around my area. Once the government subsidies, or I guess I should say "if" the government subsidies, run out sales will plummet and these one off car companies won't be around anymore.

Nissan is only a few miles from me and talking to some of their folks they buy competitor cars to evaluate to see where deficiencies are, and try to improve those on their offerings. The battery thing is a big deal, with these batteries losing 50 or 60% of their charging capacity over 3-4 years. The car companies like Tesla are banking on people not keeping the car that long and swapping it for a new one. Battery replacement is $$$$.

Electric cars aren't going anywhere but they're a LONG way off from being mainstream. I didn't even mention the electrical infrastructure problem. I suspect eventually there'll be an "electricity" tax on these cars to help cover infrastructure improvements and then likely a premium to those families for plugging them in. Electricity isn't free after all.

I have no interest in them at all in today's form. If they do something really cool with them in the future perhaps. I'll always have a ICE hot rod around and I just hope that as more people start to jump in the electric band wagon gasoline prices drop considerably. That's likely wishful thinking though.
When you say fad I think when gas was $4 a gallon (87) and everyone was buying something with better gas mileage. Once gas was $3 or lower SUV were being bought again. Like I said in another post, if they raise the price of gas long enough it will push more to buy them. Keep gas around $2 and there will be little interest

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

My electric company has "time of use" pricing and they give you a discount on the cost of electricity if you use it after a certain time of night and on weekends/holidays. Given that the majority of electric cars will be charged at night, I can see the electric companies reducing or eliminating that program simply because it will cost them tons of money in lost profit when that higher demand comes into play.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat

Sure tesla is a fad.

But the f150 powerboost while not completely electric, even mostly ice tbh is not a gimmick. I think hybrids are the more immediate mainstream tech, meaning many companies will mostly or only produce hybrid vehicles.

The gas mpg is better yeah but with the government pushing for better fuel economy stuff like auto start stop can be very annoying, for the electric engine to completely and seamlessly take over is awesome.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I agree and think hybrid is probably where it's at over the next 10 years or so. They'll have to self charge for a while yet I think.

Government regs kinda change with who's in charge, although the mileage standards haven't seemed to adjust much in that regard. I'll happily continue paying my GG tax to get the car I want though, or just buy a gently used example to avoid it.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Tesla is making Billions off the Ice Age and just insane beyond insane we are paying this guys way. The Electric Revolution is upon us and won’t reverse course since to many Greenies in power and penalizing the crap out of the Ice Age. If you add up how much Tesla is collecting every year by the non compliant manufacturers its Billions.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32346670/other-automakers-paid-tesla-record-354-million/

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Too bad they don't just keep the redeye charger, and add a battery, plus two 300 hp electric motors. Power the front tires with electric motors, giving it 1400 hp and awd, now that I would buy.