Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

SRT Design Boss Wants Dodge Challenger and Charger Owners to Take Off Their Splitter Guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Dodge could save some money and, if this "plague" is such a crisis for the design team...
To them it's probably a bit like if daVinci saw Mona Lisa with a mustache added.

2ndgen

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orem
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
IMO, the factory splitter is made to be a throw away as they are easily damaged, it does not take much to screw them up, heck, drive up to a concrete parking space wheel stop and see what happens, the splitter rubs it entering and leaving the space, and it the rebar is sticking out of the wheel stop, it adds to the good time.
That's why I usually back in if I can. W/o a front parking camera it's the safest way. Otherwise I usually wind up stopping way short.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
For the group I run around with it's not about how they look but more of us figuring it's someone new to performance cars that just didn't know any better. The dealers should be removing them as it says right on the thing and we wouldn't even be discussing it LOL.

If you really want to do something unique have some made up custom out of carbon fiber or fiberglass. Leaving the factory yellow ones on there just screams noob.

I asked to have mine after PDI and the dealer left them on. I took them off and boxed them up and will give them to the next owner. I think it's unique they come with them, but not something that should be left on the car after delivery.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
For the group I run around with it's not about how they look but more of us figuring it's someone new to performance cars that just didn't know any better. The dealers should be removing them as it says right on the thing and we wouldn't even be discussing it LOL.

If you really want to do something unique have some made up custom out of carbon fiber or fiberglass. Leaving the factory yellow ones on there just screams noob.

I asked to have mine after PDI and the dealer left them on. I took them off and boxed them up and will give them to the next owner. I think it's unique they come with them, but not something that should be left on the car after delivery.
Speedy,

My splitter guard is all chewed up on my hellcat, therefore, I do know better, that is why they will be staying on the Demon. Not about being unique, is about protecting something that was designed wrong, they should be have been made of some form of pliable rubber, IMO.

If I entered my Demon in a car show, you think I would get points off or more points for the splitter guard being left on? I am not a show car guy, never showed a car before, but interested on what judges would say. There are no part numbers for the guards, so you cannot buy them.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Not about being unique, is about protecting something that was designed wrong, they should be have been made of some form of pliable rubber, IMO.
Maybe pliable rubber could work on a Demon with it's relatively low top speed, but I wouldn't want the splitter to start flopping in the "breeze" when approaching Hellcat top speeds.

I'm fairly certain that the splitters are not pliable, and shaped and placed where they are, for a reason.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Probably points taken off if it's a serious question. If I were a judge I'd look at it as a part not intended to be on the car and they really stand out being yellow.

Why not have something made to solve the problem? Should be pretty cheap or make it yourself if you're handy? Maybe I should take on this project and sell them :unsure:

Like you said you can't order them (which is why I kept mine) but once you completely chew it up what will you do?

They couldn't make the splitter out of pliable rubber because it's designed to provide downforce at speed (and it does quite a lot actually). My Camaro has little pliable rubber air deflectors under the front bumper and they also get nicked up, you just can't see them as much because they're under the car.

Last edited:

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Maybe pliable rubber could work on a Demon with it's relatively low top speed, but I wouldn't want the splitter to start flopping in the "breeze" when approaching Hellcat top speeds.

I'm fairly certain that the splitters are not pliable, and shaped and placed where they are, for a reason.
The top speed from the factory was governed because the Demon came with drag radials on all four (4) corners. Once the race PCM is installed (the one that comes in the crate), the Demon is no longer speed limited and the top speed of a Demon and Hellcat is virtually the same. There are threads on this, no new ground here.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
1st thing dealer asked me,, garbage,, smart dealer, smart owner. Ruins the paint nutsters.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Probably points taken off if it's a serious question. If I were a judge I'd look at it as a part not intended to be on the car and they really stand out being yellow.

Why not have something made to solve the problem? Should be pretty cheap or make it yourself if you're handy? Maybe I should take on this project and sell them :unsure:

Like you said you can't order them (which is why I kept mine) but once you completely chew it up what will you do?

They couldn't make the splitter out of pliable rubber because it's designed to provide downforce at speed (and it does quite a lot actually). My Camaro has little pliable rubber air deflectors under the front bumper and they also get nicked up, you just can't see them as much because they're under the car.
Speedy,

Why would I make something up when the shipping protector solves the problem? Regarding chewing it up, that is why it is there, to protect the splitter. Whether it is actually functional and has to be made of cheap hard plastic, hmmmmmmmm

I guess we can agree to disagree on this, all good.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The top speed from the factory was governed because the Demon came with drag radials on all four (4) corners. Once the race PCM is installed (the one that comes in the crate), the Demon is no longer speed limited and the top speed of a Demon and Hellcat is virtually the same. There are threads on this, no new ground here.
I was well aware of that, but unfortunately it doesn't make a flexible splitter any more feasible on a Demon. On the contrary.

Either way, if the splitter is indeed designed wrong as you stated, I would love to have one that's even more effective. And there's probably a market for such a thing, making it worth your while to design a better one.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Something about these yellow splitters, I feel like it also adds extra horsepower on top of protecting the lip from steep inclines.

Had a Scat Pack run up behind me, Destroyer Gray with the yellow splitter still on and floored it right past me and "beat" me.

Anyone selling yellow splitter guards by any chance? Mine never came with it so I feel underpowered...

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
I was well aware of that, but unfortunately it doesn't make a flexible splitter any more feasible on a Demon. On the contrary.

Either way, if the splitter is indeed designed wrong as you stated, I would love to have one that's even more effective. And there's probably a market for such a thing, making it worth your while to design a better one.
Well if you were aware of it, why post that nonsense? I am really questioning the material being used, the function of it, well how fast has you taken yours too? Maybe is does something at speeds very few see, worrying about how a 4,500 car handles at 200 + mph is something not on my radar. Translation= I don't give a ___it.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
A smart dealer once told me "you are buying a hellcat not a one off Lamborghini, we take those damn things off because we find they cause more damage on than off."

This was when I had to get my hc shipped from dealer to home roughly 500 miles.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Well if you were aware of it, why post that nonsense? I am really questioning the material being used, the function of it, well how fast has you taken yours too?
Why did I post "that nonsense" about the Demon being speed limited? Because I knew about it. Otherwise pointing out that a flexible splitter may work on a Demon wouldn't have made any sense.
Or maybe it doesn't anyway? I thought it did.

Anyway, normally I keep it below 120 or so, and 160 is the fastest I've enjoyed mine to date. Not that I know how much good the splitter does at that point, but the car was still pulling strong, so at some point it has to make a difference.

Or maybe they just put the splitter on there to use up some plastic (which could hold true for the protectors, too, I suppose) and to make the car look faster? But I seriously doubt it.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
A smart dealer once told me "you are buying a hellcat not a one off Lamborghini, we take those damn things off because we find they cause more damage on than off."

More damage? The splitter is in plain talk made of thin crappy plastic, what damage could a protector do to it? discolor it, maybe cause some rubbing with it on ? At the end of the day, if the protector damages the splitter, then you are back to replacing it. With or without it, it will have to replaced in the future (if the protector does damage it and assuming you care).

Anyone here with a hellcat/Demo/RE that has some miles on it that does not have road rash on the splitter? If some here can drive the car for thousands of miles and not have a chewed up splitter, then I agree there is no need. My experience greatly differs, then again, I don't baby my cars.

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
More damage? The splitter is in plain talk made of thin crappy piece of plastic, what damage could a protector do to it?

Anyone here with a hellcat/Demo/RE that has some miles on it that does not have road rash on the splitter? If some here can drive the car for thousands of miles and not have a chewed up splitter, then I agree there is no need.
I have no personal experience since I removed my protectors as soon as I got the car off the trailer. But I've read many accounts of people having scratched splitters once the protectors are removed. Which makes sense to me, especially after seeing all the dirt already underneath mine when removing them.

Between our two Hellcats, there's no road rash on either one, after some 6,000 miles combined. Not that they have been used for rallycross, but both get driven long and fast on less than perfect roads.
It could technically be the only two intact ones, but I seriously doubt that, too.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
ya think about the environment :) I went out for dinner last nite an drink came with a cardboard straw,...……..FCA could make them out of cardboard:unsure:

Mine was trailered the same distance. Dealer had taken them off the instant the car hit their lot, but had put them in the trunk, because even then they were turning into a hot commodity....

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
cover will float around at high speed (rubbing), it will trap water and debris (which then turns to sand paper for more rubbing), and things like that. Like what's his name said Trostle or whomever, it damages the paint. he's POed because its his design. I say screw him, if you want to do it, do it. People **** these cars up six ways from sunday and nobody cares or acts like its an affront to the chruch. But I do think keeping them on makes no sense.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Maybe somebody makes a bra for Challengers? Those were also fairly hideous, and supposedly screwed up the paint, too.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Mine lasted for 500 miles, got it home and promptly tossed it on the shelf. Figure is just sitting around collecting dust now.

Status
Not open for further replies.