Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

RacerX

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I think they stopped putting VINs on engine blocks for a while, and started doing it again, at least for Hellcat etc.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Well, if you want to keep the VIN block (if it is on there) then an engine builder will need to be sourced to rebuild it. Likely hot rod it while doing it.

Otherwise, SOL

OP
Octanewide

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #43
I know one thing and that's if any 170 owners actually race their cars and know about these failed engines they are very concerned. The cars were big money even before the ridiculous ADM... Will be interesting as this plays out ..

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I know one thing and that's if any 170 owners actually race their cars and know about these failed engines they are very concerned. The cars were big money even before the ridiculous ADM... Will be interesting as this plays out ..

It's Stellantis.

Hell, they're suing suppliers to try and force them to lower their prices.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'm not all that concerned. If mine blows up I'm dropping it at the dealer, call me when it's fixed. Pretty nice really, and I have 5 years :)

I have logged mine, however, and understand some of the do's and don'ts as a result. Hoping that helps my use case a bit but time will tell.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
The concept of data logging a stock car is not a reasonable expectation, imo. The 170 has a warranty, if it shits the bed, take it to the dealer. RacerX is out there racing it and trying to go A to B like it is meant to do, I don't get the negative comments. It appears that the 170 is not easy to race, if it does not hook and have the weight transfer, its a spin fest. Therefore, a lot of seat time is needed and that is exactly what RacerX is doing.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Princeton
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 super stock

At about 3:15 Nick says he adds extra qt to break in cam. Later on says runs at 2,000 rpm for 20 then drains the extra.
My 23 SS has 348mi, oill level rt at top line on the stick. Seems like mostly a 170 issue?
If link doesn't open at YouTube. nick's garage; hot 1970 383 Mopar-stroked and dyne tested

Member ID
Reactions
City
Columbia
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Scat Pack Shaker

At about 3:15 Nick says he adds extra qt to break in cam. Later on says runs at 2,000 rpm for 20 then drains the extra.
My 23 SS has 348mi, oill level rt at top line on the stick. Seems like mostly a 170 issue?
If link doesn't open at YouTube. nick's garage; hot 1970 383 Mopar-stroked and dyne tested
An extra quart of oil is not what’s going on here.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
An extra quart of oil is not what’s going on here.
Welcome "Over" to Hellcatforum.org.
When the Hellcats came out back in 2015 and My husband and I were out T&T and R&D with Josh @High Horse Performance, he found out that Dodge left so much on the table for Modifying and Tuning. With each of the next trim levels, Dodge was moving, and the tables were being left smaller.
The Demon170 seems to be built right on the edge of Daily Driving/Racing. From what I have heard and seen, my opinion is someone is going to either make the 170 a dedicated race car and be done with the warranty, add what it needs or basically have a Daily Driver Garage Queen.
I posted this information from Jon Sipple, and he told me while cracking open and investigating the 170 Trans, the Tuning was on the edge.

https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/about-the-demon170-transmission.14791/#post-406041

Member ID
Reactions
City
Space Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
23 Demon

Any owner of a Stellantis vehicle should be concerned how warranty repairs are conducted. They are all expensive & all have reported problems. Well maybe not the Hornet… have any been sold? :)

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
The first hornet I see in the field I’m gonna do a burnout around it
Any owner of a Stellantis vehicle should be concerned how warranty repairs are conducted. They are all expensive & all have reported problems. Well maybe not the Hornet… have any been sold? :)

Last edited:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The first hornet I see in the field I’m gonna do a burnout around
How many did they sell last year? Maybe 200?
Most probably went to youtubers who used them for crash testing. 🤣🤣🤣

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Welcome "Over" to Hellcatforum.org.
When the Hellcats came out back in 2015 and My husband and I were out T&T and R&D with Josh @High Horse Performance, he found out that Dodge left so much on the table for Modifying and Tuning. With each of the next trim levels, Dodge was moving, and the tables were being left smaller.
The Demon170 seems to be built right on the edge of Daily Driving/Racing. From what I have heard and seen, my opinion is someone is going to either make the 170 a dedicated race car and be done with the warranty, add what it needs or basically have a Daily Driver Garage Queen.
I posted this information from Jon Sipple, and he told me while cracking open and investigating the 170 Trans, the Tuning was on the edge.

https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/about-the-demon170-transmission.14791/#post-406041
So what's wrong with a dd garage queen?...after all..it is my money right...or you calln me some kinda sissy boy you shameless hussy..:)giggle::giggle::giggle:..said with all do respect and admiration):p:p;);)

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
So what's wrong with a dd garage queen?...after all..it is my money right...or you calln me some kinda sissy boy you shameless hussy..:)giggle::giggle::giggle:..said with all do respect and admiration):p:p;);)
Who Me ? call you a sissy Boy...No Way....I don't want to meet up with the guy that runs the plow :LOL::censored::p

Member ID
Reactions
City
Space Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
23 Demon
How many did they sell last year? Maybe 200?
Most probably went to youtubers who used them for crash testing. 🤣🤣🤣
Maybe the YouTube Kia boys will switch to Hornets. That will get some off dealer lots.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye
Maybe the YouTube Kia boys will switch to Hornets. That will get some off dealer lots.
I'm actually surprised that Stellantis hasn't created their own secret AI influencer on youtube who is doing exactly that: modding a hornet to try to create some market for the car.

Hmmmm maybe I should do that as a side-gig. We can call it the "OKBoomer Hornet"? :unsure:

Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye

Yeah, but isn't that a flat tappet cam in there (not a roller)? On flat tappets you have to do a run-in for 20 minutes at around 2000 and then you drain all the oil to get the moly and additives out because the break in additives clog the oil filter and you also want to examine for any metallic residue, immediately.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I'm actually surprised that Stellantis hasn't created their own secret AI influencer on youtube who is doing exactly that: modding a hornet to try to create some market for the car.

Hmmmm maybe I should do that as a side-gig. We can call it the "OKBoomer Hornet"? :unsure:
Hagerty did a 7 part youtube series on the Hornet.

2ndgen

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orem
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Hagerty did a 7 part youtube series on the Hornet.
Why would the Hornet need 7 parts? How much really is there to say? Does it have square wheels or something?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Why would the Hornet need 7 parts? How much really is there to say? Does it have square wheels or something?
No idea. Didn't watch it.