Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

PPF Hack Job?

OP
ShawnB
Member ID
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 392 Daytona
Thread Starter #21
Update: I spoke to the service manager and walked him over the car and all the issues I had with the install. Emailed all my pictures to him too. He's working with the installer now and should get back to me this afternoon. The dealer is leaning towards letting them fix it as they have a good relationship with the installer. I will insist on a computer-cut piece of film if they do and probably try to be present for the install.

Also, luckily that picture or the rear quarter just captured a piece of lint or something and there is no scratch from a knife mark in the paint. That said, I'm going over every inch of it now looking for any...

At first I wasn't going to get bent out of shape about it. The nose of the car is *mostly* protected after all. Now after reading your comments I'm fired up and want it perfect!

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
You’ve paid for perfect ,but I wouldn’t give the same idiot a second chance to
hash it up.good luck with it.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Did it through the dealer - huge mistake I know and now I have to deal with multiple parties to get whole again. It's worth it to me now that I've seen the opinions of my peers. I really had no reference point to go off.
Well, I'm not going to post memes making light of what you're going through. If I had pics of what it should look like for reference I'd post them up....but I don't. About anyone would assume the dealer you bought the car from that uses this shop to install PPF would do quality work...

Still not sure if I would give this PPF outfit a second chance unless your dealer will back it up too if any damage was done already to the paint. Personally, if it were my car I'd want to see it after removal of the old stuff and PRIOR to them re-doing it to ensure there's no razor marks!

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
When I purchased my 2019 Charger I had a front wrap of PPF installed. Bumper and half fenders/hood. Paid 1100 for it.

When I picked up the car my heart sunk to my knees. It just was not what I expected at all. The film was cut oddly on the lower front spoiler and several large spots were not protected at all. In addition, the film ended several mm away from the leading edges across the whole install.

My question is, for those of you who have had PPF added to your Charger (Hellcat/SRT/392), can you post pictures of the details? Here's some examples of what it looks like on my Charger and I'd love to put my mind at ease that it's normal for the amount paid or if I need to go back to the installer.

Thanks!

View attachment 4557 View attachment 4558 View attachment 4559 View attachment 4561
Shawn,

Here are some pics of my son's 392 with PPF installed in various locations.

392 1.jpg 392 2.jpg 392 3.jpg

With the lighting just right, you can notice the film on the drivers side front clip. Shows up next to the ceramic coat on the hood that doesn't have PPF on it.

PPF installed in 2013 and looks as good today.

OBC

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Did you get FULL hood and fenders or just a section? The price you paid is an odd price and most prices are pretty uniform across the board, 6-800 for mid hood, fenders and grill, or 15-1800 for full hood, fenders and grill. Some shops don't wrap edges, especially if using plot cut films. Edges are tricky and even the best cleaning beforehand can keep an edge from laying down, then it peals then you're hosed. So by going up to 1/4 to the edge you may have better luck on the material staying down. Either way, yours is pretty bad, and if the shop has been around that isn't good.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
The PPF job on my 15 HC done by previous owner the job was soo good I didnt know the front end was wrapped for 3-4 MONTHS after I bought it, until I took a wheel off and noticed the film on the underside of the fender. The hood was wraped around all the edges, into the vents etc. Never had any issues with the vents or inserts. It was an amazing job. I found 2 spots in teh lower front air dam of a splice or cut on each side in the film.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I think you've figured by now it's not right, but I'll add it appears to me the installer didn't use computer cut sheets for the vehicle nor did they use a steamer to mold it in tight places. I have a video of how mine was done on my channel and it's dang near perfect.

$1100 would be a fair price assuming paint correction was performed as part of the labor. If not I'd expect it to be 40% less.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Like her. After reading the posts last night till 1 am,, I shopped today and had a lot of the right questions. That thread last night was more knlowdge than I get in court. Got some good quotes and from responsible companies,,, from my understanding. But I am sorry but my 1 eyed sanavagus could have done better. General consensus. Sorry dude. Burn em out.

OP
ShawnB
Member ID
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 392 Daytona
Thread Starter #29
Update!

First thank you everyone for the good advice. I totally understand the sentiment of not going back to the same installer after such a terrible job but I believe in second chances. So today I took the car to their shop and watched them install and waited on site. They unwrapped the entire nose and re-wrapped it from scratch. For those who were asking, the film was computer cut. Pictures below!

As far as the initial install, they explained they subcontracted someone local to my dealer. That guy obviously needs some retraining! The shop owner was apologetic about how rough the first job turned out and promised I'd be happy with the results. I am and I feel like they completely redeemed themselves based on how professionally they worked with me and the (second) finished product.

IMG_0274.jpeg IMG_0272.jpeg IMG_0271.jpeg

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Update!

First thank you everyone for the good advice. I totally understand the sentiment of not going back to the same installer after such a terrible job but I believe in second chances. So today I took the car to their shop and watched them install and waited on site. They unwrapped the entire nose and re-wrapped it from scratch. For those who were asking, the film was computer cut. Pictures below!

As far as the initial install, they explained they subcontracted someone local to my dealer. That guy obviously needs some retraining! The shop owner was apologetic about how rough the first job turned out and promised I'd be happy with the results. I am and I feel like they completely redeemed themselves based on how professionally they worked with me and the (second) finished product.

View attachment 4790 View attachment 4791 View attachment 4792
Your kidding, correct? Those pictures are the finished product, not the previous?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
My friend I was so moved, I went out and took a picture of the tightest lower corner just above the splitter right. See the difference? Now go get ALL your money back and take it somewhere else.

IMG_0813.PNG

OP
ShawnB
Member ID
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 392 Daytona
Thread Starter #32
Well 🤬

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
Shawn,

Maybe I'm way too picky or expecting too much but, I would have expected better results on the second wrap, although it is a vast improvement over the first wrap.

I will have to take a much finer look at my son't wrap job to see if some of the flaws I see in yours are present in his. Maybe it's your paint color and lighting that reveals things more than expected.

Just seems to me that your wrap should be better, sorry to say but, then again... it could just be me.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Worst PPF job I have ever seen before and after. Find a professional this is ridiculous.

REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Can you share the name of the shop so we know where not to take it to?

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I am in Canada but you should find a certified PPF installer. Either certified 3M or authorized xpel installer and ask to see some cars they have done.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Rico turned me on to Auto Paint Guard from Tampa. They gave me a quote at 10 pm last night after filling out their computer quote. They contact acted me 3 times of what was to be done. I did ask hand or computer cut lay out and with paint corrections being done now. I got a response at 10:30 pm of computer lay out and new paint needs 30 t0 45 days before ppf installed. They gave me different pricing on different parts of the car. Rico touched base with the owner today and replied to me these people are the real deal. Rico has had some work done by them and has no problem. That is what you want to hear. I have never,, ever had any luck with a subcontractor of the dealership. Nothing but more problems the dealer will not back up. I made a deal with the dealer about tinting of the windows and hey cut me a check and refused to get in the middle. Damn very smart on their part.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
My friend I was so moved, I went out and took a picture of the tightest lower corner just above the splitter right. See the difference? Now go get ALL your money back and take it somewhere else.
Well, I gotta say props for giving them a second chance. Honestly I wouldn't have as soon as I found out they sub-contracted it and accepted this person's work....but after seeing their own work I can see why. If you're happy with the re-do then I guess it's ok...but I would demand better for 1K. As you can see from DGatzby's post, it can be done a whole lot better. I don't know if he paid more or less than what you paid, but his looks a bit more professional I think....hope you get this worked out!

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Stupid dealers. Ass holes and you wonder why they and 5 children live in a million $$ road house. Never seen a poor one yet.

ofdfiremedic

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Mine is extremely clean, we did redo it after the first install due to some peeling on the high tension sides next to the headlights, but now it is perfect.