Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Per4mance DIRS and Differential Fluid Change

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I agree.

Yesterday I ordered a set of what looks like 45 degree angled hex Allen wrenches from a UK Ebay website that contains an 8 mm wrench that will fit my 2019 Challenger's differential fill plug. It was $25 out the door - which included overseas shipping to Kentucky from England. My burgeoning toolbox runneth over...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183036366341

When they get here in a week I'll report in this thread if the angled wrench will actually work.
Saved to my wish list.

OP
Finface

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Thread Starter #22
And...drum roll, please...my UK 45 degree angled hex Allen wrenches FINALLY arrived.

It was a second order because the first order, ordered on May 15th, sat in a Chicago warehouse for 40 days. I could see it got there from the UK. I queried the seller on Ebay after two weeks of inaction - they said give it time. Well it never moved - perhaps somebody did a "five finger discount" and stole it - or it is buried like the Arc of the Covenant in the Indiana Jones movie. Not sure if the offending warehouse was US Customs, or US post office, but after six weeks of inaction I got a refund, then reordered the exact same product from the same Ebay vendor - and the second time it took only 10 days to show up.

It is the perfect solution. It fits, it doesn't hit anything, its range of motion when inserted is easily enough to break loose the fill plug (but be careful not to bang it into and scratch the anodized aluminum of the DIRS) and by extracting and reinserting the wrench unscrew the fill plug. Therefore, I hereby declare my Per4mance DIRS installed Challenger differential fluid fill plug loosening and tightening problem resolved - for $25 - plus I got 9 more angled hex wrenches to go with the 8mm for the fill plug.

3EF4F114-923A-4D8A-8884-463037946CAB_1_105_c.jpeg

I'll mention one caution about draining differential fluid with the DIRS installed. That drain plug access channel straight below the fill plug with the Allen wrench inserted in the above picture - to get to the drain plug that channel is narrow. I realized after I unscrewed the drain plug with a long straight 8 mm Allen wrench that IF while trying to retract the plug the drain plug fell off the end of the Allen wrench it might fall sideways, or get angled, in that channel and then be a total PIA to get back onto the end of the Allen wrench to be able to rescrew it back in. I think almost impossible to get it back on the end of the wrench fishing around in there. If so it would require disassembly of the DIRS. So I didn't try to retract the plug - I just backed the drain plug slightly out and fluid started draining just fine, then laid the wrench with plug securely on its end down inside the channel, and let the fluid drain to my heart's content. Rescrewing it in was easy. Words to the wise...

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
thanks for the tip and finding the 45 degree wrenches...guess I got lucky with my order because i rec'd the first time in about a week after shipping from the UK

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
And...drum roll, please...my UK 45 degree angled hex Allen wrenches FINALLY arrived.

It was a second order because the first order, ordered on May 15th, sat in a Chicago warehouse for 40 days. I could see it got there from the UK. I queried the seller on Ebay after two weeks of inaction - they said give it time. Well it never moved - perhaps somebody did a "five finger discount" and stole it - or it is buried like the Arc of the Covenant in the Indiana Jones movie. Not sure if the offending warehouse was US Customs, or US post office, but after six weeks of inaction I got a refund, then reordered the exact same product from the same Ebay vendor - and the second time it took only 10 days to show up.

It is the perfect solution. It fits, it doesn't hit anything, its range of motion when inserted is easily enough to break loose the fill plug (but be careful not to bang it into and scratch the anodized aluminum of the DIRS) and by extracting and reinserting the wrench unscrew the fill plug. Therefore, I hereby declare my Per4mance DIRS installed Challenger differential fluid fill plug loosening and tightening problem resolved - for $25 - plus I got 9 more angled hex wrenches to go with the 8mm for the fill plug.

View attachment 79396

I'll mention one caution about draining differential fluid with the DIRS installed. That drain plug access channel straight below the fill plug with the Allen wrench inserted in the above picture - to get to the drain plug that channel is narrow. I realized after I unscrewed the drain plug with a long straight 8 mm Allen wrench that IF while trying to retract the plug the drain plug fell off the end of the Allen wrench it might fall sideways, or get angled, in that channel and then be a total PIA to get back onto the end of the Allen wrench to be able to rescrew it back in. I think almost impossible to get it back on the end of the wrench fishing around in there. If so it would require disassembly of the DIRS. So I didn't try to retract the plug - I just backed the drain plug slightly out and fluid started draining just fine, then laid the wrench with plug securely on its end down inside the channel, and let the fluid drain to my heart's content. Rescrewing it in was easy. Words to the wise...
@Finface first off anything from or to do with Shitcago is truly F'd up.
What was the brand name on those 45 degree Allen wrenches? Thanks for you pointers..

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Imma need to grab me a set of those. Lol.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
great find. Ordered a set. never know when it might come in handy for other jobs.

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
Here is what I used to access the fill plug. There is only about 2.25” of clearance, so a small tool was required. The 3/8” Powerbuilt low profile socket lever (non-rachet) provided just enough room to loosen the nut. Attached to the lever was a 1/4” socket with an 8mm bit. I also had a small 1/4” ratchet plus 8mm hex bit for faster removal and tightening. Both are about 2” in width.
IMG_0803.jpeg IMG_0805.jpeg

The low profile lever is quite short, so I added a small cheater bar to the end…made it much easier to loosen the fill plug.

Unfortunately, there is no room for a torque wrench, so I could not torque the fill plug to spec. Another option for those who prefer not to remove the DIRS.

Last edited: