Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Grand Cherokee L Are Bricking

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I didn’t think the standard length JGC was shipping yet. I’m planning on ordering one. Lots of L’s around, though.
I read a different article earlier and it said that it was the extended version?

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Weird. Wonder if it’s only 2022 models, we have 6k miles on our 2021 Grand Cherokee L with no issues yet.

Tuckerracing

Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Whitehouse
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
We purchased a brand new GC L in October 2021 and it had nothing but eletrical problems after the first 300 miles, our dealership could not find the problem and Jeep was no help. Luckily our dealership took the car in trade for what we paid for it and got us into a different brand with no money out of pocket. It had maybe 1500 miles on it and would set the oarking brake on its own, screen would go blank or not come on at all, you coild try to pass someone or change lanes and it would not accelerate even with your foot on the floor, it was a total mess.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
We purchased a brand new GC L in October 2021 and it had nothing but eletrical problems after the first 300 miles, our dealership could not find the problem and Jeep was no help. Luckily our dealership took the car in trade for what we paid for it and got us into a different brand with no money out of pocket. It had maybe 1500 miles on it and would set the oarking brake on its own, screen would go blank or not come on at all, you coild try to pass someone or change lanes and it would not accelerate even with your foot on the floor, it was a total mess.
They had a recall during that time for the software. I purchased mine in Oct 2021 as well and they wouldn’t even let me test drive it until the recall was performed.

Ours has been pretty good so far, some software hiccups with the Uconnect once in a while but otherwise we really enjoy it. I’m sure they’ll fix some of these bugs with updates down the road.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
We had a Cadillac with a similar situation. Dealer or Cadillac wouldn't do anything so it got Lemon Lawed.
Glad to hear that your Dealer took care of you.

Tuckerracing

Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Whitehouse
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
They had a recall during that time for the software. I purchased mine in Oct 2021 as well and they wouldn’t even let me test drive it until the recall was performed.

Ours has been pretty good so far, some software hiccups with the Uconnect once in a while but otherwise we really enjoy it. I’m sure they’ll fix some of these bugs with updates down the road.
they did the software update and it did not help at all. I think it had a cold solder issue in the computer, most the time it would not start acting up until you drove it for about 45 minutes to an hour.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
they did the software update and it did not help at all. I think it had a cold solder issue in the computer, most the time it would not start acting up until you drove it for about 45 minutes to an hour.
Well I’m glad it worked out for you, sucks that you had to give it back though. We love ours, it’s the Overland and is very nice and capable!

Tuckerracing

Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Whitehouse
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My GF loved it if it had not had all the electrical issues. We may try to get another one in the future, we usually trade hers in every 3 years. Hopefully they have all the bugs worked out by then, lol

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
I didn’t think the standard length JGC was shipping yet. I’m planning on ordering one. Lots of L’s around, though.
There are a few on dealer lots around here. Only 1 or 2 per dealer though so far.
Weird. Wonder if it’s only 2022 models, we have 6k miles on our 2021 Grand Cherokee L with no issues yet.
From the article it seems to only be affecting GCs sold in February so far, which is probably why it's a stop sale and not a recall at the moment. Recent bad batch of RF hubs.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

I wouldn't count on them fixing the minor bugs over time, there are still unresolved issues in the '16 Cat that got introduced as part of a 'patch' released to fix some other issues. Clearly, they have no intention of fixing their error !

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
"Bricking"? No explanation as to what that means exactly?

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
"Bricking"? No explanation as to what that means exactly?
The RF hub fails to recognize the key fob and won't allow the car to start, so 'bricking' is an exaggeration, but the result is the same I guess. You're still not driving anywhere.