Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Misbehaving Harmon Kardon 19 Speaker

RetiredFirefighter

Firefighter
Member ID
Reactions
City
Metro
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Durango 392
Heh all, I have a 22 DSRT with a little over 10k on the odo that I recently purchased

After I backed out of my driveway today, the sound from the HK system started phasing in & out (continuously cycling from a medium volume to low volume).

I turned the audio off and and back on again, still doing it on all audio sources.

After ~15 min of this, I found the "Radio Reset" option in the menu and used it. After the reset, no change. Still malfunctioning.

So I pulled over on the side of the road, got out and shut off the vehicle. Got back in and started it up, no dice. Phasing in and out continued.

A few minutes later I made it to my destination and parked it. After a couple of hours I came back out and started it up. Voila! All was ok again.

This happen to anyone else? Just a fluke? Electronic hiccup? Or a bad system that's on it's way out?

thnx

Diboblo

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Go into audio settings and make sure Auto Volume is turned off. It's called something like that. Basically, it turns down the volume, when you stop, or brake and can cause issues.

Easy thing to.change, for troubleshooting.

OP
RetiredFirefighter

RetiredFirefighter

Firefighter
Member ID
Reactions
City
Metro
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Durango 392
Thread Starter #3
Yeah, I turned everything off in the audio settings that said "AUTO" when I got the car a few weeks ago.

Will have to wait and see if the issue returns. Appreciate the input anyways, thanks.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Your little shitty amp is failing. U need to replace it. Common issue with this system. The speakers themselves tend to fail as well. Theyre cheap garbage paper like cones absolute junk.

If u look at ur dash speakers there is nothing that says HK on them. Take em out they will say "Made in China" lol which is exactly where these junk HK speakers are made.

U dont need rear speakers just fronts. Buy the Stealthbox from JL for bass. HK is just another American company with some European name that outsources their JUNK products to China! Ppl hear HK and think is some sorta fancy high end sound system. That makes me lol literally! Its the WORST system ive ever heard and that was in my Redeye.

Do urself a favor an upgrade the front speakers and put a decent amp in it. Install and parts would be about $750.00. Peanuts..... With the Stealthbox maybe $1500. Whats $1500 on an $80k car? It should have come with something a LOT better but it didnt so u can either drive around with shitty music that will only fail again after replacing or upgrade for a small price.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Your little shitty amp is failing. U need to replace it. Common issue with this system. The speakers themselves tend to fail as well. Theyre cheap garbage paper like cones absolute junk.

If u look at ur dash speakers there is nothing that says HK on them. Take em out they will say "Made in China" lol which is exactly where these junk HK speakers are made.

U dont need rear speakers just fronts. Buy the Stealthbox from JL for bass. HK is just another American company with some European name that outsources their JUNK products to China! Ppl hear HK and think is some sorta fancy high end sound system. That makes me lol literally! Its the WORST system ive ever heard and that was in my Redeye.

Do urself a favor an upgrade the front speakers and put a decent amp in it. Install and parts would be about $750.00. Peanuts..... With the Stealthbox maybe $1500. Whats $1500 on an $80k car? It should have come with something a LOT better but it didnt so u can either drive around with shitty music that will only fail again after replacing or upgrade for a small price.
I got the HK "upgrade" in my SS only for the purpose of having the wiring in place to upgrade all the speakers and equipment eventually. I upgrade all my audio systems in vehicles I purchase.
I went all JL Audio in my Ram and Wrangler, subs, speakers, amps and Sound Digital amps with Euphoria speakers on my Harley.
Not sure what I'll use when I replace the Super Stocks components but I'm thinking JL audio C7 component speakers?

Diboblo

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Gen 1 vehicles (circa 2005-2010) had an issue similar to what you describe. Eventually, there was a TSB released, to reflash the amp. It was most noticeable in SRT vehicles, with the Kicker subwoofer.

Check with your dealer, or get a 24 hour pass to Tech Authority and search their TSB index, for your car.

OP
RetiredFirefighter

RetiredFirefighter

Firefighter
Member ID
Reactions
City
Metro
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Durango 392
Thread Starter #7
Your little sh!tty amp is failing. U need to replace it. Common issue with this system ...
I still have a year and over 20,000 miles left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and a comprehensive extended warranty for after that.

If the amp cr@ps out, I'll just have Dodge replace it.

Gen 1 vehicles (circa 2005-2010) had an issue similar to what you describe. Eventually, there was a TSB released, to reflash the amp. It was most noticeable in SRT vehicles, with the Kicker subwoofer.

Check with your dealer, or get a 24 hour pass to Tech Authority and search their TSB index, for your car.
I didn't see where to get a 24 hr pass on that site?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Oh nice yea that makes sense to have the wiring to upgrade. I have the C7 components in my Golf R. They are reasonbly priced and sound really good actually. I had the 3.5 as a center channel in my old Charger. Cant go wrong with JL.

I always recommened a DSP with built in amps that way u can run them active with no bulky crossovers in ur doors plus it just sounds way better. Helix is what I use for a DSP/AMP.

Sound Digital makes great stuff.

The C7 with the stealthbox would be mint! This amp/dsp would work well. It gives u a sub channel and has built in crossovers.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XM-GS6D...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A1O9Z3VYY71U6N&th=1

I got the HK "upgrade" in my SS only for the purpose of having the wiring in place to upgrade all the speakers and equipment eventually. I upgrade all my audio systems in vehicles I purchase.
I went all JL Audio in my Ram and Wrangler, subs, speakers, amps and Sound Digital amps with Euphoria speakers on my Harley.
Not sure what I'll use when I replace the Super Stocks components but I'm thinking JL audio C7 component speakers?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
U can replace it but it still sux. Upgrade to something decent. Who cares about a warranty for some shitty part that beloings in a Kia smh

I still have a year and over 20,000 miles left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and a comprehensive extended warranty for after that.

If the amp cr@ps out, I'll just have Dodge replace it.

I didn't see where to get a 24 hr pass on that site?

OP
RetiredFirefighter

RetiredFirefighter

Firefighter
Member ID
Reactions
City
Metro
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Durango 392
Thread Starter #10
... Who cares about a warranty for some sh!tty part that beloings in a Kia smh
I do! Lol

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
I agree, if mine went out while under warranty and I was not yet ready to replace everything I too would want it replaced. If nothing else you can resell the good one if/when you upgrade as I intend to do.

OP
RetiredFirefighter
Member ID
Reactions
City
Metro
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Durango 392
Thread Starter #12
I agree, if mine went out while under warranty and I was not yet ready to replace everything I too would want it replaced. If nothing else you can resell the good one if/when you upgrade as I intend to do.
It only happened that one time, so for now, I'm chalking it up to just an electronic fluke.