Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

EPA cracking down on performance tuning

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Excellent new video from @Speedy! . Watch it and take action. This folks is the Green New Deal at the grass roots level.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Excellent new video from @Speedy! . Watch it and take action. This folks is the Green New Deal at the grass roots level.
The thing is when talking about blowing black diesel smoke is that’s unburnt fuel. Unburnt fuel isn’t hp it’s the lack of. Unless you are waiting for a big turbo to spool then that’s another story. But as said in the video why regulate at the track. I knew someone with a truck he dragged a lot on the weekends and he’d switch turbos since the really large turbo was worthless on the street anyway.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Point Pleasant
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 Challenger Hellcat
I'm still unclear how this effects tuning going forward. Does this mean any ECM tuning is illegal now? Do tuners need to get their tunes "certified" with a CARB number? I get the defeating the whole emission thing by removing cats, or bypassing emission equipment being iilegal, but are we now going back to the early 80's dark ages with no way to change anything on computer controlled vehicles for street use?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Answer is "maybe" depending on what the EPA thinks at the time.

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
Lots of facets to this... Right to repair, who really owns the data in your ECM, the EPA cert on the powertrain.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Dear EPA: Please go have extended relations with yourself. Thank you.

(my therapist suggested I try and be nicer in my tone, and not offend any snowflakes)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Dear EPA: Please go have extended relations with yourself. Thank you.

(my therapist suggested I try and be nicer in my tone, and not offend any snowflakes)

Well logically you should have immediately told your therapist to "get bent"...

;)

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Answer is "maybe" depending on what the EPA thinks at the time.
Yep, just another federal agency that is able to circumvent legislation by decree.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Well logically you should have immediately told your therapist to "get bent"...

;)
Is that like a 3 word epelative to go and perform an impossible deed? Asking for a friend.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I'm still unclear how this effects tuning going forward. Does this mean any ECM tuning is illegal now? Do tuners need to get their tunes "certified" with a CARB number? I get the defeating the whole emission thing by removing cats, or bypassing emission equipment being iilegal, but are we now going back to the early 80's dark ages with no way to change anything on computer controlled vehicles for street use?
The answer is, it is not clear. Until it is settled by negotiation or litigation (or further non-controversial definition by the agency) there is no clear answer.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Yep, just another federal agency that is able to circumvent legislation by decree.
Not by decree, but they have to do "something" (can't just sit there idling). This then provokes a response, public interest, and lots of input from more than just "lobbyists" and other scumbags. It may provoke an alarmed reaction in many areas and this is actually a good thing. These actions, inquiries, law suits, public statements, amicus curiae, etc...., all help insure a consensus is built that will yield a result that can be enforced and has been shown to have de facto support and enforceablity. It's actually a kick in the pants for the democratic process. If every one is focusing only on their own interests often these types of questions are answered only with input from interested parties and lobbyists and special interest groups. Democratic societies come with burdens and duties too, not just right, and sometimes that duty is to pay attention and peacably and actively make sure your representatives and agencies know what you think.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Not by decree, but they have to do "something" (can't just sit there idling). This then provokes a response, public interest, and lots of input from more than just "lobbyists" and other scumbags. It may provoke an alarmed reaction in many areas and this is actually a good thing. These actions, inquiries, law suits, public statements, amicus curiae, etc...., all help insure a consensus is built that will yield a result that can be enforced and has been shown to have de facto support and enforceablity. It's actually a kick in the pants for the democratic process. If every one is focusing only on their own interests often these types of questions are answered only with input from interested parties and lobbyists and special interest groups. Democratic societies come with burdens and duties too, not just right, and sometimes that duty is to pay attention and peacably and actively make sure your representatives and agencies know what you think.
If a decree is “an order usually having the force of law”, I’d say the EPA comes awfully close in the way it operates, but I’m no legal eagle.