Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Demon 170 Making Hits At OSW With Tom Bailey

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
He shows some of the features while trying to hit an 8.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I enjoyed the video. Shows that the struggle is real but also that it’s full of potential.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I thought some w
I enjoyed the video. Shows that the struggle is real but also that it’s full of potential.
I noticed that iats were 180+ and he was wondering what was pulling the power.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Its pretty bad ass that you can buy a car and go the track and even run 9.40s and yank the wheels.

Too bad Dodge decided they needed to make it a limited edition

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
I by chance saw that on you tube 45 minutes ago before seeing it on here. Seems like a nice guy. He mentioned he had the heavier wheels. Also he ran it a lot with high iats which hurt the top end. Take his best time of 9.37 or so and deduct .15 for the heavier wheels and .15 for it pulling timing at the top end. You are a little over 9.0. He also did not take out seats, etc. Just playing advocate for him. The car ran fine.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Its pretty bad ass that you can buy a car and go the track and even run 9.40s and yank the wheels.

Too bad Dodge decided they needed to make it a limited edition
And we thought we were fast with showroom cars in the 70's...:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Didnt he win drag week a few times with that SMX motor in something?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
6 times overall winner. Just won this year. He also owns Sick Week.

Last edited:

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
he did. him an Steve Morris are good friends.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
That was a good video. Much more informative than a picture of a time slip running 8.9x and a video of the run.

I keep saying these are mostly gonna be 9.3 - 9.4 cars and this lines right up. This does show the problem though, even a very experienced racer like Bailey thought he'd just drive up to the track and run 8s. He's never gonna do it with all that weight in the car. Maybe this is his first experience with a platform like this though.

I was glad to hear him point out the fuel. If these cars make full power at E65 there's no reason to go much higher than that. You'll put more strain on the fuel system and get much worse gas mileage to boot if you're driving it around. I keep seeing people talking about getting E87 etc and that just isn't gonna help and will likely hurt.

I had Go Man Go setup to get 80% of full power at E60 when running flex and around there it would get dramatically better fuel mileage for driving around and still made a ton of power. It got full power at E80. E70 would have been fine but I was overly conservative.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Interesting bit on the fuel. But it makes sense, its a wild card out there at the pump with e85.

And this still is a daily driving car from the factory. It has to have a bit of safety built into it. Now I am curious just how much this thing can pump out when you start to lean on it.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
He was brave driving in the rain with the drag radials.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Interesting bit on the fuel. But it makes sense, its a wild card out there at the pump with e85.

And this still is a daily driving car from the factory. It has to have a bit of safety built into it. Now I am curious just how much this thing can pump out when you start to lean on it.
I'm not sure there'll be a lot left on the bone with this one. For a standard Hellcat or Redeye you could change pulleys, injectors, and tune and pick up a decent amount. Go to a good fuel either 100+ octane gas or E85 and pick up more.

This one already has a 3.0L blower and a 3.02" pulley with about 22psi of boost. I imagine IATs are already something that need to be watched.

It's already on E85 and trapping high 140s to 150s in the 1/4 it's making plenty of power. Dynos are showing around 900+ rwhp.

Heads are updated with studs, billet main caps, upgraded bearings, and some intake valve/guide changes for the ethanol. I haven't seen good info on what the composition of the rods and pistons are. The rods might be the fuse.

Seeing someone get one to 1,000 wheel would be interesting though, but will probably require some new hardware. Supercharger change and maybe rods/pistons.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #14
I'm not sure there'll be a lot left on the bone with this one. For a standard Hellcat or Redeye you could change pulleys, injectors, and tune and pick up a decent amount. Go to a good fuel either 100+ octane gas or E85 and pick up more.

This one already has a 3.0L blower and a 3.02" pulley with about 22psi of boost. I imagine IATs are already something that need to be watched.

It's already on E85 and trapping high 140s to 150s in the 1/4 it's making plenty of power. Dynos are showing around 900+ rwhp.

Heads are updated with studs, billet main caps, upgraded bearings, and some intake valve/guide changes for the ethanol. I haven't seen good info on what the composition of the rods and pistons are. The rods might be the fuse.

Seeing someone get one to 1,000 wheel would be interesting though, but will probably require some new hardware. Supercharger change and maybe rods/pistons.
I think that there is. Tom is a great driver and they know nothing about the car. He's a long way out but he should at least get it close.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
They spent two days at the track lol. It's physics.

Boris is talking about modifying for more power I think as well which is what my response relates to.

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
Tese xar
That was a good video. Much more informative than a picture of a time slip running 8.9x and a video of the run.

I keep saying these are mostly gonna be 9.3 - 9.4 cars and this lines right up. This does show the problem though, even a very experienced racer like Bailey thought he'd just drive up to the track and run 8s. He's never gonna do it with all that weight in the car. Maybe this is his first experience with a platform like this though.

I was glad to hear him point out the fuel. If these cars make full power at E65 there's no reason to go much higher than that. You'll put more strain on the fuel system and get much worse gas mileage to boot if you're driving it around. I keep seeing people talking about getting E87 etc and that just isn't gonna help and will likely hurt.

I had Go Man Go setup to get 80% of full power at E60 when running flex and around there it would get dramatically better fuel mileage for driving around and still made a ton of power. It got full power at E80. E70 would have been fine but I was overly conservative.
These will make 1000whp no problem. There's one with tune only making 97X whp already. I can gaurentee we'll be seeing 1100+ whp on SBE soon.

I agree that Tom's car will probably not go 8's as-is. Will need wheels/tires and 1 seat and no junk in the trunk, which is still absolutely insane.

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Agreed, even low 9s is nuts for an off the show room car you can drive to the track. 8s is mind blowing.

What's SBE?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Small Block Engine @Speedy!

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Also happened to find this video right before this thread in my recommended on YouTube. Really enjoyed it. Loved how much fun they had in the car despite not grabbing that 8.x. Fun is ultimately what it's all about and you can't beat a car that you can drive from the dealer to the track and yank the wheels on. Insane times we live in. Gave him a follow, was not familiar with Tom before this.

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
Agreed, even low 9s is nuts for an off the show room car you can drive to the track. 8s is mind blowing.

What's SBE?
Stock bottom end