Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dear DodgeCares: Ongoing Radio issue that makes car unsafe and unusable.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
I've been waiting almost a month for a new radio unit to be delivered to my local dealer; it was supposed to be delivered on 8/3, but as of today they don't even have a tracking number. The radio started rebooting around July 5th; I started finding my car dead in the garage around July 6th; I took it in to the dealer on July 9th - they tested the battery and it failed; they replaced it thinking that was the problem...it wasn't. It was whatever caused the radio to reboot every three minutes.

The issue is my radio attempts to reboot every 3 minutes, no matter whether the car is running or is parked in my garage. When it reboots, (1) any functions controlled by the radio unit are cancelled; this includes, but is not limited to the screen, the blind-spot detection, the radio itself, line lock, and drag mode, and (2) by rebooting every three minutes, it creates a draw on the battery.

When the car is running, I cannot risk using functions such as the reverse camera, safely shift lanes (due to blind spot ceasing functionality), line lock, or drag mode as these functions are interrupted during the reboot, and to attempt to rely on these functions during the course of reversing, changing lanes, using the line lock or drag mode creates a safety hazard to myself, other drivers, and the car itself.

When the car is in my garage, by rebooting every three minutes, the faulty radio draws power from the battery. Drawing power every three minutes while the car is parked and not running means that in 24 hours, the radio reboots 20 times an hour, or 480 times every single day. This happens even when the car is parked and turned off it my garage. This has already short-cycled my original battery (which dealer has replaced), and means I have to pull the fuse for the radio to keep it from damaging the replacement battery.

If I attempt to drive the car with the radio fuse pulled, I don't have a reverse camera (screen is blank), no blind-spot detectors (that I paid extra for), nor line lock functions; thus, I cannot safely drive or use the car as it was designed and intended by Dodge, and as I paid for.

I was willing to wait the few weeks for the radio; it has now been almost a month and there isn't even a tracking number associated with my radio. At this point, I'm paying a monthly car note for a lump of metal that can't be safely driven, nor used as designed and advertised by Dodge. I find this unacceptable.

@DodgeCares Please advise.

Last edited:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I think you have to link @DodgeCares for them to be copied on your post?

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hate to hear you are having trouble with your car. It’s not a HC but is one of my favorite cars on here. Hope the new radio solves the problem!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
I've been waiting almost a month for a new radio unit to be delivered to my local dealer; it was supposed to be delivered on 8/3, but as of today they don't even have a tracking number. The radio started rebooting around July 5th; I started finding my car dead in the garage around July 6th; I took it in to the dealer on July 9th - they tested the battery and it failed; they replaced it thinking that was the problem...it wasn't. It was whatever caused the radio to reboot every three minutes.

The issue is my radio attempts to reboot every 3 minutes, no matter whether the car is running or is parked in my garage. When it reboots, (1) any functions controlled by the radio unit are cancelled; this includes, but is not limited to the screen, the blind-spot detection, the radio itself, line lock, and drag mode, and (2) by rebooting every three minutes, it creates a draw on the battery.

When the car is running, I cannot risk using functions such as the reverse camera, safely shift lanes (due to blind spot ceasing functionality), line lock, or drag mode as these functions are interrupted during the reboot, and to attempt to rely on these functions during the course of reversing, changing lanes, using the line lock or drag mode creates a safety hazard to myself, other drivers, and the car itself.

When the car is in my garage, by rebooting every three minutes, the faulty radio draws power from the battery. Drawing power every three minutes while the car is parked and not running means that in 24 hours, the radio reboots 20 times an hour, or 480 times every single day. This happens even when the car is parked and turned off it my garage. This has already short-cycled my original battery (which dealer has replaced), and means I have to pull the fuse for the radio to keep it from damaging the replacement battery.

If I attempt to drive the car with the radio fuse pulled, I don't have a reverse camera (screen is blank), no blind-spot detectors (that I paid extra for), nor line lock functions; thus, I cannot safely drive or use the car as it was designed and intended by Dodge, and as I paid for.

I was willing to wait the few weeks for the radio; it has now been almost a month and there isn't even a tracking number associated with my radio. At this point, I'm paying a monthly car note for a lump of metal that can't be safely driven, nor used as designed and advertised by Dodge. I find this unacceptable.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. Please send us a private message. I would like to look into this for you!

Alison
DodgeCares

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
At this point, I'm paying a monthly car note for a lump of metal that can't be safely driven, nor used as designed and advertised by Dodge. I find this unacceptable.
Are we exaggerating a bit here, or do you really feel that somehow your car can't be safely driven without those nannies?
If my Challenger has the blind spot detectors and what not, they are turned off. To me, the backup camera is also just an irritant, since my car came with windows and mirrors.

Now, if you have never driven anything without those features, and have learned to rely on them rather than to actually drive, my apologies.
And to have the battery drawn down is obviously not a good thing.

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #7
Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. Please send us a private message. I would like to look into this for you!

Alison
DodgeCares
PM sent

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Are we exaggerating a bit here, or do you really feel that somehow your car can't be safely driven without those nannies?
If my Challenger has the blind spot detectors and what not, they are turned off. To me, the backup camera is also just an irritant, since my car came with windows and mirrors.

Now, if you have never driven anything without those features, and have learned to rely on them rather than to actually drive, my apologies.
And to have the battery drawn down is obviously not a good thing.
I had mine blank out on me several times (not to the extent that PaVa is having) and you can use any of the functions that are controlled through the radio screen. Several 1320 owners had this happen to them when they went to the track and basically made their day useless if they actually wanted to learn how to use the features on the car the way they were intended. Several people have gotten rid of their 1320's in the last year due to this radio blanking happening many times and it not getting fixed. I know that if I went through all the prep and went to the track, and that thing crapped out, I'd be pissed, just like others were. I didn't have blindspot monitoring as mine wasn't a Plus package.....but it did bug me when that thing would blank out for no reason. I didn't learnt o drive with a backup camera, but I certainly have come to enjoy having it....to the point that I wouldn't buy a car now that didn't have it....unless it was '96 Vette, or an older 5.0 Mustang........but that's me. I've gotten spoiled :p

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Yeah, I can certainly see how it would ruin your track day.

To me, if the screen died I'd miss seeing what the oil temp is. That's because I want to make sure it's warm before I step on it, but by now I have largely learned how long it takes, at different ambient temps.

Backup camera? I have yet to have objects appear out of nowhere. Normally they come from somewhere within the 360 degree horizontal plane.
If not, maybe I should've got a sunroof?

I could send you some curb feelers for Christmas though, since you lost out on the Plus Package.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Yeah, I can certainly see how it would ruin your track day.

To me, if the screen died I'd miss seeing what the oil temp is. That's because I want to make sure it's warm before I step on it, but by now I have largely learned how long it takes, at different ambient temps.

Backup camera? I have yet to have objects appear out of nowhere. Normally they come from somewhere within the 360 degree horizontal plane.
If not, maybe I should've got a sunroof?

I could send you some curb feelers for Christmas though, since you lost out on the Plus Package.
Oh man....curb feelers!! And FOR CHRISTMAS!! Oh man....this is gonna be a banner year....I can see it coming :ROFLMAO:

I'm with you on the whole backing up and using your mirrors and looking thing....but I have really gotten spoiled with the backup camera.....probably because I back in park all the time, and it just makes it a little easier to know how close I am to something behind me. Of course if you go downtown....the city dwellers still use the bump and rub method for finding the car behind them, as well as the one infront.

Now if you park up on the bumper of my truck,....oh yeah....you're getting pushed out of the way.

This is Baltimore parking to a tee....

bad parking.gif

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Oh man....curb feelers!! And FOR CHRISTMAS!! Oh man....this is gonna be a banner year....I can see it coming :ROFLMAO:

I'm with you on the whole backing up and using your mirrors and looking thing....but I have really gotten spoiled with the backup camera.....probably because I back in park all the time, and it just makes it a little easier to know how close I am to something behind me. Of course if you go downtown....the city dwellers still use the bump and rub method for finding the car behind them, as well as the one infront.

Now if you park up on the bumper of my truck,....oh yeah....you're getting pushed out of the way.

This is Baltimore parking to a tee....

View attachment 21532
😆 That’s great. Looks like he made sure not to hit the suv in front just keeps bumping the minivan

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I'm with you on the whole backing up and using your mirrors and looking thing...
If I can see anything in my mirrors (other than when backing into the garage), it's too close.
Basically, it means that I've been driving too slowly.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Hey PaVa,

Check my thread on radio replacement from a few years back. They took months to make one availalbe because they only fixed a broken one to send out, so if they didn't have one already fixed on the shelf, they'd wait until one came in and then repair it and then send that out. Supposedly this was because they radios changed, and I thought a new one like yours would be immune to that delay. Interested in hearing why they're taking so long on yours.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
OH ******* HELL NO!
EXACTLY. But the dipshits here will park right on top of you front and back. When ever I have to go downtown and have to park on the street, I always try to find a place where I can leave some room infront or behind me, but it's hard to do most of the time. And it never fails, someone will park up tight on me either front or back. If I'm in my truck and they're on my ass and I need the room, I just back right up into them with my trailer hitch and start pushing. I do that especially to people who park on my bumper, but made sure to leave themselves room behind their car. I will equally push the front car too if that 'jackwaggon" backed up on top of me. I'm an equal opportunity a-hole when driven to that point.
I try to respect other people and their vehicles. I try to anticipate that I will need room to manuever, just as will other people. Unfortunately, it's an "all about me" world now and when you subject me to your brand of douchebaggery.....well then it becomes all about ME.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
now now now....

going_to_sting.gif

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Lol the "backup" camera is not for backing up. People think it is for backing up and that windows and mirrors are just as good. Well if you can believe it, the camera is not for backing up, it's for seeing that last couple of feet when reversing close to a garage wall, or a bush, or another car. Windows and mirrors arent helping you there, no way. You are 100% guessing at that point. If people knew that they prob wouldn't post those comments (as often) lol.
With that being said, give me a break, the car is not unsafe without those - temporarily or permanently.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Lol the "backup" camera is not for backing up. People think it is for backing up and that windows and mirrors are just as good. Well if you can believe it, the camera is not for backing up, it's for seeing that last couple of feet when reversing close to a garage wall, or a bush, or another car. Windows and mirrors arent helping you there, no way. You are 100% guessing at that point. If people knew that they prob wouldn't post those comments (as often) lol.
With that being said, give me a break, the car is not unsafe without those - temporarily or permanently.
I would agree with that to a point but not 100%. The backup cameras in both my car and my truck have moveable guide lines that change with any input to the steering wheel. They will show you the complete arc of where you're going each time you make an adjustment from many feet out, not just the final few feet. I'm sure there are some that might not have that feature. I find this particularly helpful in my truck since the windows on my bed cap are tinted so dark, I can't see out of them. I primarily like the cameras because I back in park all the time and knowing how close I am to something behind me, instead of bump guessing, is very helpful. For years I thought back up cameras were silly, but now I've embraced them. I must be getting old :unsure:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
That's about the only legit excuse you have, Mr. 1320, because I know your not completely inept.

Although, I must admit that there was one time I wished I had one. Was trying to back the first trailer up to a con gear at about 4 AM.
Yes, I was quite tired by then, and yes it was dark, so I couldn't see it in the mirrors. Couldn't be even an inch off side to side at the back of the trailer, so it was a fair amount of running back and forth to check.

Backing a small vehicle up, with backup lights and without a trailer, with several inches of leeway, is something you should be able to do in your sleep.

Oh wait, you old guys don't sleep much, do you?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
...With that being said, give me a break, the car is not unsafe without those - temporarily or permanently.
No need to be critical? With all those gremlins going on, I would also be worried that the car would leave me sit or act up while driving it.