Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dealership’s Paint Protection Without my Permission

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #21
Find out from the dealer what they put on the paint. Brand, name etc. was it ceramic, was it graphine was it something else? There are hundreds of paint sealants, coatings etc out there. Which one sometimes makes a difference in how to get it off. Give that info to the detailer so he is better informed in how to deal with the situation.
I did ask my salesman. And all he said was protective paint and fabric defense. I’ll call him back or email for specific coating. They used to call it “Glass Coat” just 3 years ago when I bought a ‘19 Scat Charger and sold it a year ago because I made a small profit on it. And upgraded to a Hellcat.

This dealership used to be the best around my area. But, since the shortage of new cars. And that drove used car prices up. They show their true colors.

Honestly, I took a break from stressing about all this BS. I bought the car just 2 months ago too. And now I want to get it fixed.

Again, When I run my hand across those areas, it’s smooth.

Last edited:

GdBye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
I did ask my salesman. And all he said was protective paint and fabric defense. I’ll call him back or email for specific coating. They used to call it “Glass Coat” just 3 years ago when I bought a ‘19 Scat Charger and sold it a year ago because I made a small profit on it. And upgraded to a Hellcat.

This dealership used to be the best around my area. But, since the shortage of new cars. And that drove used car prices up. They show their true colors.

Honestly, I took a break from stressing about all this BS. I bought the car just 2 months ago too. And now I want to get it fixed.

Again, When I run my hand across those areas, it’s smooth.
I admire your patience and attitude. Just a suggestion...if you want to check for a smooth surface, put your hand in a sandwich type bag and then move it over the surface. You will be able to detect any type of dirt embedded in the surface paint. If there isn't any, that's a plus. If there is, claybarring with detail spray will remove it. This is an important step before buffing the paint and applying a sealer or wax. New cars should always be checked for this issue as they sometimes sit outside or have dust embedded in the paint during transport. Hopefully, yours is OK.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
It’s from the assembly line. When they are inspecting the paint and find small imperfections such as dust or paint nibs they buff them out with a small handheld orbital buffer. Those small areas are not polished correctly after and leave cloudy areas where it was buffed. Def not burned through the clear. If you watch videos you can see workers with small handheld orbital buffer going around touching up the paint. That is what this is. For some reason it is really visible on the black paint. I had two pitch black challengers that both had this but luckily for me there was no paint protection over the clear so I was able to just hand polish the areas by hand and they came right out perfectly. Took me a long time to figure it out, dealers were no help. They actually wanted to repaint the car lol. Luckily for me a Brampton worker on the forum chimed in and posted what it was. In this case OP needs to get the paint protection off so he can polish those areas. How to remove that is the question. I would prob call the dealer and ask them what type of protection they apply and then use that information with a detailer.
Best way to remove that.paint protection is to cover the car in gasoline and torch it in the service drive.

Not really! (You'd be surprised what some people do after reading things on the internet)

I'm just.ticked at these dealerships that think you're just a freaking mark and are brazen enough to show they don't give a good Solid shit whether you're happy w them or not. I am all for dismantling the dealer system but they're too well protected politically.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Social media is a powerful tool as well just do a Google review and that will raise eyebrows at the dealership. And or some forums the members get together and start posting terrible google reviews as there 4.5 stars goes to 2😂. Let us know if ya need help just tell us the dealer😁

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
Unfortunately we’re stuck with dealerships for obviously new cars and some used.

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #26
Thanks again guys. I appreciate your support. You have mine as well.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
I was really pissed at first. But I calmed down.

When I run my hand across those areas. After a car wash. It’s smooth. So hopefully a detailer can just fix it. And it won’t need a body shop.

I was planning to take to a detailer and get one of the best ceramic coatings available. And maybe PPF on some parts.
‘Not sure now, I can even email pics to a detailer and see what they say. They also probably know what exactly that stuff is the dealership put on my paint. The protective paint protection. Which the dealership also said there’s a warranty on it.
Put your hand inside a plastic grocery bag, and very lightly run the pads of your finger tips over the paint. That's the only way to "feel" whether there is contaminants on the clear coat.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Looks like they tried to buff your car with this tool. I agree that a good detail guy could easily save the paint for you. I have seen videos where they correct much worse.

dw.png

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It's no big deal and easily fixed by you or a detailer. I doubt the dealership even put paint protection on the car to begin with. Just another line item to upcharge but actually didn't do anything. Maybe some spray detailer LOL. I'd try a little hand polish just to see what happens.

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #30
It's no big deal and easily fixed by you or a detailer. I doubt the dealership even put paint protection on the car to begin with. Just another line item to upcharge but actually didn't do anything. Maybe some spray detailer LOL. I'd try a little hand polish just to see what happens.
They definitely put a sealant , maybe ceramic on the car. But dealership ceramic. Lower quality IMO.
It definitely keeps a nice shine And water beads up on it.

It Doesn’t prevent swirl marks or tiny scratches though.

I wouldn’t of minded so much by now, but since I have to get it fixed. It’s a pita and more money.

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #31
Social media is a powerful tool as well just do a Google review and that will raise eyebrows at the dealership. And or some forums the members get together and start posting terrible google reviews as there 4.5 stars goes to 2😂. Let us know if ya need help just tell us the dealer😁
There’s a couple reasons why I haven’t mentioned the dealership……yet ;)
What if I have to take my car in for warranty work *knock on wood* they’re the closest Dodge dealership to my house and they sell a lot of Hellcats and Scat Packs for years. So obviously they work on a lot of them too.

Think I already mentioned, I bought a new Scat Charger from them before Covid. (Covid f*cked up a lot of shit not just dealerships and auto manufacturers) I got a really good price because there wasn’t any shortages.

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #32
I admire your patience and attitude. Just a suggestion...if you want to check for a smooth surface, put your hand in a sandwich type bag and then move it over the surface. You will be able to detect any type of dirt embedded in the surface paint. If there isn't any, that's a plus. If there is, claybarring with detail spray will remove it. This is an important step before buffing the paint and applying a sealer or wax. New cars should always be checked for this issue as they sometimes sit outside or have dust embedded in the paint during transport. Hopefully, yours is OK.
Thanks again, guys. I’m gonna try that hand in a plastic bag tip to see if there’s anything that needs to be clay barred.
Do you guys like Griots Garage stuff? Should I use this if I need a clay bar? https://www.griotsgarage.com/brilliant-finish-synthetic-clay/
After the clay bar and polishing. Should I use a surface prep before the final ceramic coat or sealant? I heard Adams makes a good one. I also heard we shouldn’t use different name brands. Lol. I mean if I start with Griots, I should do everything with their products.

I still need to find out the name brand or whatever the dealership exactly used. He did say it’s ceramic though. The M’fer wouldn’t give me a straight answer when I first asked him, when I bought the car. I didn’t push it because at the time of purchase, the car looked great.
I noticed those messed up areas after the first car wash.

They did say it has a warranty too. But idgaf because I don’t want them touching my paint. Even though the factory probably caused those circular cloudy marks.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thanks again, guys. I’m gonna try that hand in a plastic bag tip to see if there’s anything that needs to be clay barred.
Do you guys like Griots Garage stuff? Should I use this if I need a clay bar? https://www.griotsgarage.com/brilliant-finish-synthetic-clay/
After the clay bar and polishing. Should I use a surface prep before the final ceramic coat or sealant? I heard Adams makes a good one. I also heard we shouldn’t use different name brands. Lol. I mean if I start with Griots, I should do everything with their products.

I still need to find out the name brand or whatever the dealership exactly used. He did say it’s ceramic though. The M’fer wouldn’t give me a straight answer when I first asked him, when I bought the car. I didn’t push it because at the time of purchase, the car looked great.

They did say it has a warranty too. But idgaf because I don’t want them touching my paint. Even though the factory probably caused those circular cloudy marks.
Smartest thing you can do is not do anything until an expert tells you how to do it in person and or let them do it. Once you cross the bridge to do it thsn it becomes your mistake.

GdBye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat

I've always had good luck with Griot's products but everyone has their favorites. I've heard good things about Adam's as well. To me, it's a plus if the product is made by the company selling it and not outsourced. Before you attempt tackling any correction, just get it checked out first to make sure that the clear coat wasn't burnt through. If it is not burned through, I would suggest that you either have a pro or really experienced person do the work. If you have the time to tackle it yourself, make sure you use the correct application techniques after watching some "how to" video's from some experts. One source that I learned a lot from was Junkman Auto Detailing videos. If you google him you will see a bunch of how to video's that he has done over the years with recommendations on products and techniques. He's pretty entertaining as well. Once you get the paint perfect, it's especially necessary to make sure you practice good washing and drying techniques as dark colors will show the fine scratches and swirls easily as I'm sure you know. With respect to Ceramic, that's your call but again it comes down to technique. I'll probably get roasted for this but I'm not a fan of it due to the cost and maintenance but to each their own. I think your idea of PPF is a good one as long as it's applied by an experienced detailer and the paint is perfect when it's applied. If there are imperfections in the paint, the PPF will magnify them. The wide body's are especially susceptible to stone chips with the fender flairs so maybe get them, the hood and lower portions of the car done? If I still lived in Chicago, I'd help you with some of this stuff.

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #35
Just wanted to mention On the receipt it says “USWC Paint and Fabric Defense”

When I google that, Allstate insurance comes up first. hmmmmmmm. Lol.
‘I already knew the paint defense has a warranty. Most likely a BS warranty lol. And I only have a few new tiny scratches and swirl marks.

Is anyone familiar with that “USWC” ?

Or does that stand for United States Warranty?

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Just wanted to mention On the receipt it says “USWC Paint and Fabric Defense”

When I google that, Allstate insurance comes up first. hmmmmmmm. Lol.
‘I already knew the paint defense has a warranty. Most likely a BS warranty lol. And I only have a few new tiny scratches and swirl marks.

Is anyone familiar with that “USWC” ?

Yeah, except it's spelled USMC...

; )

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #37
I think it stands for United States Warranty which I know what most people’s opinions are about those kind of warranties. Lol..

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #38
I found out that Protective Paint and Fabric defense has Nanoxide in it. And here’s the website.
https://www.protectiveassetprotection.com/f-i-solutions/automotive

I still need a professional detailer to take a look at it. Just to see if the clear coat isn’t burned through. If the clear coat isn’t burned through. I might polish it myself (to fix the swirls and scratches) and then put a final ceramic coat with Nano in it. What would you guys do? I know I should just have a good professional detailer fix it. I need to have the windows tinted anyways. Here’s detail spray with Nano in it.

BA41D9C5-1E0E-49D4-B81B-137568BCF1F6.jpeg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
It's wax

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Smartest thing you can do is not do anything until an expert tells you how to do it in person and or let them do it. Once you cross the bridge to do it thsn it becomes your mistake.
2nd that emotion!!