Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Best pcv valve?

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
I have a catch can and metco breather? Is there a pcv valve I should be using other than the stock one? I heard with the stock one if modified you can loose a bit of boost. I do not understand that.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I have a catch can and metco breather? Is there a pcv valve I should be using other than the stock one? I heard with the stock one if modified you can loose a bit of boost. I do not understand that.
Humm, never heard that one.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Had a can on my 16. Never heard of this. But, I am not as informed as others here.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #4
It was mentioned on the other forum. I never heard of it either till I read the thread.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
If you can lose boost through a valve that connects a valve cover to your supercharger inlet I'd sure like to know how.
That circuit should only flow one way - from the valve cover to the supercharger inlet.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #6
On the other forum it was mentioned that the stock valve for some reason was blowing both ways. The experiment was to take the hose off from the supercharger with blowing into the rubber hose which was connected to the pcv valve. It was extremely easy to do and hence that thread started.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I get it. The check valve should work but the point is at high loads the crankcase pressure should be above atmospheric pressure, not by a lot but still... the snout should be below atmospheric pressure since the air has passed through the air filter and throttle blade restrictions. The pressure differential makes the air still flow from the crankcase to the snout.
You may argue that perhaps the bypass is open and bleeding boost back into the snout. Yes, that can certainly happen but in that case your ECU already is bleeding boost. Anything that might flow into the crankcase in this instance will come right back into the clean air duct through the makeup air circuit.
The point is the valve should stop reverse flow but even if it has a marginal leak I don't see a performance loss.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Pcv valves don’t seal on our cars. I’m with the rest and see no reason to add the check valve. Just run the catch can....... I also run the metco breather. I would get some oil in the breather on my hellcat but I get nothing with the Redeye. I treated the hellcat like a rental car so rightfully so.

PurpleCat16

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
I use a check valve with my catch can.