Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone run a C8?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I knew from a roll that he wouldn't have much. I also don't consider roll racing, racing. I'd love to square off from zero though. "On paper" the Vette should bake my cake, but I can out-drive the average driver on the street (I have >5,000 hours of lap and strip racing hours in my 43 years and 2 racing licenses to prove it). To date, I've ran my neighbor's 2020 GT500 that was supposed to beat the NB Hellcat, but my neighbor has yet to beat mine with me driving (and we've ran our cars at least 20 times now). Now, I have also not lost to my car with me behind the wheel of his GT500, so the cars really are closely matched. This is my first Hellcat, but I've owned 2 different Mustangs... an F1-R ProCharged 2015 and a 2017 GT350 (which I put over 1,500 hours of track time in on... so I know how to drive those S550s).

For the record, my car is mostly bone stock, right down to the all season Pirellis until spring when I put some real rubber on them. My neighbor... great guy, but he got the GT500 after trading in his Hyundai Tiburon that he had been driving since 2009. So...
Guy needs seat time.... and lots of it.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
Aren't they electronically limited during break in?
From the C8 Owner's Manual:

New Vehicle Break-In
Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle.
Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run.
During the first 800 km (500 mi), engine torque will be limited in low gears.
For the first 322 km (200 mi):
  • To break in new tires, drive at moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering.
  • New brake linings also need a break-in period. Avoid making hard stops. This is recommended every time brake linings are replaced.

For the first 800 km (500 mi):
  • Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
  • Do not exceed 4000 rpm.
  • Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow, including the use of cruise control.
  • Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
  • Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.

For the first 2414 km (1,500 mi):
  • Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities.
  • Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher than normal.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Yes, they are very limited before 500 miles. More than the above post would make you think.
Unlike the Hellcats, where the idiot salesmen will tell you it's limited when it really isn't, lol.

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
You do realize that the majority ownership of these cars are NOT "enthusiasts". They liked the car. They bought it. They drive it. ( maybe not like you want them too) 😂

From what I've read across multiple car sites, is that "we" are less than 10% of ownership. Corvette since the C5 have been producing north of 35-40k units a year. I've encountered many people in a variety of cars in the past 20 years(internet era) and most have never heard of any of these forums and have no plans to modify, race or display car at a show.

I'm with you tho, it saddens me to see these cars not driven to thier potential, and maybe they are, were just not seeing it. 😣
saw a lady driving a new Panamera turbo going to work yesterday probably going 10 under the speed limit, I blasted past her in my daughters corolla. lol

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
saw a lady driving a new Panamera turbo going to work yesterday probably going 10 under the speed limit, I blasted past her in my daughters corolla. lol

no no no no, pull up next to her, drop to like 1st, whatever will give you a good bounce, nail it a few times, laugh, and then proceed

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
no no no no, pull up next to her, drop to like 1st, whatever will give you a good bounce, nail it a few times, laugh, and then proceed
Mags, weren’t you supposed to find out something or have a procedure done, yesterday? If so, how’d it go?

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
Eh, I don't quantify those cars as worthy prey to be honest. Sure, they're fast, but so are Tesla S models. Both cars are generally driven by *old people.

Example. My house has a neighbor on each side. The guy on my left just traded in his Tiburon for a 2020 GT500 and he can't drive it to save his life. The couple on my right have a Tesla S P100D. He is 78? She is 75. And I can tell you right now they probably don't even know what ludicrous mode is and that Tesla has never seen 80mph a day in its life. There's a few Panameras in my neighborhood, and I see them on the street all the time. I've never seen one that wasn't being driven by a soccer mom that wasn't hauling kids.

*old people: Not so much an age, but a mindset that limits top speed, rapid acceleration, use of turn signals, inability to drive in any but the middle or left lane. Wears wrap-around sunglasses and drives with the mouth slightly agape as they turn.

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Eh, most Vette owners I meet drive them no differently than those old school Buick Roadmasters they would have been driving 20 years ago. Slow, in the left lane, hands 10-2 while wearing a GAP ball cap. I passed a convoy of 8-10 C7s and 2 C8s leaving the Cars and Coffee here 2 weeks agoon the Interstate and they were all doing 70 in a 75 in the right lane. I buzzed them all Maverick style @ 80-100mph and not a single one broke the conga line. They must have been heading to the Saturday morning Country Buffet.
Look...face it..corvette owners are weird dudes...:geek::geek:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Gatzby, aren't you too tall for a C8? LOL
Only if hes over 6'5"...my friend is 6'3...and has room to spare

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Yes, they are very limited before 500 miles. More than the above post would make you think.
Unlike the Hellcats, where the idiot salesmen will tell you it's limited when it really isn't, lol.
The car off the showroom floor...and the car with over 500 miles...is not the same car...

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Only if hes over 6'5"...my friend is 6'3...and has room to spare
They seem to be pretty roomy, but one of my customers bought one and says he hates it because any bump or small jump and he hits his head on the roof. He's 6'2.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
They seem to be pretty roomy, but one of my customers bought one and says he hates it because any bump or small jump and he hits his head on the roof. He's 6'2.
Tell him not to sit on a telephone book...

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Tell him not to sit on a telephone book...
I'll relay the message. 😂😂

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Not cool. That means about 6’ with helmet may be a problem.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Fake news...our friend has driven my wifes..6'2..or 6'3...plenty of room..unless your ramp jumping...

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Hopefully not. But you never know. Everyone has different sitting styles.

Fake news...our friend has driven my wifes..6'2..or 6'3...plenty of room..unless your ramp jumping...
You callin' me a Liar, 1971? 😭

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I am,,,, snot. Recently got rid of both vettes. No problem getting in,, fall in. Getting out at 6 2 flat footed. Hard on the feet with stiff clutch. Hard to get out. Espicially on a graded drive. Rconditioned knees can't take it. Saw my P C doc today and he has ordered his new 2012 C8 and he is short. His otta friend owns a Tesla, now 3 vetts, Porche, ect, ect. He paid $30,000 premium for the 1 st on the block. Idiot. My doc paid $10,000 over at $110,000 out the out house door. It will get stolen. Liked my vettes but when you hit see nile 60 the agality is not there.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Obviously I have not sat in one yet. Thanks, I will check one out someday.
I was thinking that would not be a good move, or just short people would be racing them. Save me from looking at something really stupid.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I'll verify this...

Whether or not ol'Demon wants to be in the car when I jump the ramp in her Vette, is completely up to him.
How many bricks are we stacking under the plywood?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Eh, I don't quantify those cars as worthy prey to be honest. Sure, they're fast, but so are Tesla S models. Both cars are generally driven by *old people.

Example. My house has a neighbor on each side. The guy on my left just traded in his Tiburon for a 2020 GT500 and he can't drive it to save his life. The couple on my right have a Tesla S P100D. He is 78? She is 75. And I can tell you right now they probably don't even know what ludicrous mode is and that Tesla has never seen 80mph a day in its life. There's a few Panameras in my neighborhood, and I see them on the street all the time. I've never seen one that wasn't being driven by a soccer mom that wasn't hauling kids.

*old people: Not so much an age, but a mindset that limits top speed, rapid acceleration, use of turn signals, inability to drive in any but the middle or left lane. Wears wrap-around sunglasses and drives with the mouth slightly agape as they turn.
You know I didn't think this was the case and did some independent research...

1602681076176.png