Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anybody here remember the old Bias ply tires?

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
No tubes needed on any bias ply tires I used to run. Never saw re-grooved tires on a passenger car, but I have heard of it being done on tractors.

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Posi-traction Torque Twisters or Pro-trac Racing Profiles were the ticket back in the day. And if you had yellow Lakewood traction bars and gabriel Hi-jackers, you were the man. LOL!!!!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I have a couple of grooving irons, but have never used them to increase the tread depth.
Instead I tune the tread on tires I use in the dirt, for better traction. Or for better performance in the snow.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Posi-traction Torque Twisters or Pro-trac Racing Profiles were the ticket back in the day. And if you had yellow Lakewood traction bars and gabriel Hi-jackers, you were the man. LOL!!!!
Still have a set of Pro Trac‘s mounted on old Crager SS. wheels Just sitting around. I don’t think I would roll with them. They are 3 days older than dirt. Dry rotted. & cracked. From early/mid eighties.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
The only thing bias ply were good for was on stick cars it would absorb the inertia better when slamming through the gears

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
Remember when radials were being introduced and the manufacturers all guaranteed them against flats !

Anyone have Firestone 500's ?? I did & have never purchased another tire from them since !
Yes - we had Firestone 500's on our Mustang, just missed the recall. Ironically, they were excellent tires, never had a problem!

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Yup, lol. And I`m guessing you had the Gabriel Hijackers installed in the back aired up to 90lbs like I had on my 68 roadrunner too!
Yep, including extensions...could still lift fronts on launch!

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
No tubes needed on any bias ply tires I used to run. Never saw re-grooved tires on a passenger car, but I have heard of it being done on tractors.
You are not old enough to remember them. Tubes were used until tubeless came out in the late 50s. My first set of radial tires I bought in in the late 60s, much to my surprise, used tubes.

As for re grooved tires, even if you saw them you would not know they had been. I lived across the street from an Olds dealer and watched as worn tires on used cars were being re grooved to help sell the cars.

Last edited:

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Remember when radials were being introduced and the manufacturers all guaranteed them against flats !

Anyone have Firestone 500's ?? I did & have never purchased another tire from them since !
Ah yes, then of course there was The Firestone 721 . Their slogan on the commercial was 7 wrapped around 2 wrapped by 1 the steel belts that is. But it had a design flaw and were blowing out on people with some disasters so they were discontinued

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Dunlop GT Qualifiers (bias of course) were nice looking tires. Remember Jetson Revengers? I'd say overall Pro tracs were my favorite looking tire. They just looked tough.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
You are not old enough to remember them. Tubes were used until tubeless came out in the late 50s. My first set of radial tires I bought in in the late 60s, much to my surprise, used tubes.

As for re grooved tires, even if you saw them you would not know they had been. I lived across the street from an Olds dealer and watched as worn tires on used cars were being re grooved to help sell the cars.
Yeah....I'm only 57 years old. I used to work at a tire center is a teenager for a couple years. I've changed/repaired/balanced 100's of sets of tires and 90% were radial tire cars. Only a few people wanted the old bias ply tires...which we sold too. I had never seen bias ply tires that required tubes unless it was installed as a repair....

We did install "radial tubes" in tires that couldn't be plugged (hole too big). We would apply a patch on the inside and install a tube. The whole re-grooving thing is new to me though...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The whole re-grooving thing is new to me though...
I think it needs to say "Regrooveable" on the sidewall to be legit.
And I've only seen that on truck and trailer tires.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Ah yes, then of course there was The Firestone 721 . Their slogan on the commercial was 7 wrapped around 2 wrapped by 1 the steel belts that is. But it had a design flaw and were blowing out on people with some disasters so they were discontinued
Awww man....I remember that commercial.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Dunlop GT Qualifiers (bias of course) were nice looking tires. Remember Jetson Revengers? I'd say overall Pro tracs were my favorite looking tire. They just looked tough.
The independent tire place near me sold those Jetson tires when I was a kid. We had GoodYear and Firestone dealers in town, so the independent place had all of these other brands. They may still have the sign out front. I'll have to check the next time I go by there.

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
How about the Super Cat tires...mid 70's bias ply semi performance tire that looked Mean!

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I had a set of G70x14 Posi-Trac tires on the back of my 383 4 speed RoadRunner. The tread pattern was all interlocking capital I’s. They were supposed to have more traction on the street but I do not believe they worked any better than other tires with my 4.30 rear. Wish we had drag radials back then!

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I used to put studded snow tires on a 69 charger for hole shots at night, the sparks added more thrill to the smoke, and the tire compound was hard as a rock so it made incredible sound. Wish I still had that car it was my first of a few chargers

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I need to move which I am going this fall to a small town in Georgia. A member on here lives there. Starts with a Dal. Very small town. Need a lawyer isn't the word for it. I need a group.

Member ID
Reactions
City
SOUTH LYON
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack
Theres two things that the Goodyear polyglass gt tires do well, they look great on the old Musclecars! Air em down and on a good track they hook!!! Now they ride like crap, follow cracks in the road, like to drift abit, the new repos are 250.00 a tire for a skinny little bias ply. Still love em tho!!! liftin.JPG Martin 1167.jpg

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States