Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

4x4 2020 Ram/Tundra/Tacoma

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I know what you mean, biggest problem is that badge is SO over-played. Everyone just adds one to every Toyota truck ever! Somehow every Toyota is a TRD edition. I was actually going to have some made that just say "TRD/sticker" and drive around with that on my truck for a little while LOL
And I play off the question as though its totally serious.... same facial expression and tone as Steve McQueen trying to retrieve his baseball in the Great Escape from across the "Line of Death."

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Thread Starter #62
I actually wanted the TRD edition because of the Bilstein shocks. I looked at a buyer's guide for these trucks and they recommended that package.
https://www.car-buying-strategies.com/Toyota/2020-Tundra.html

EDIT: And now I'm looking for a nice hard tonneau cover for my standard bed, and decent side steps or nerf bars if anyone has experience with those....

Last edited:

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I actually wanted the TRD edition because of the Bilstein shocks. I looked at a buyer's guide for these trucks and they recommended that package.
https://www.car-buying-strategies.com/Toyota/2020-Tundra.html

EDIT: And now I'm looking for a nice hard tonneau cover for my standard bed, and decent side steps or nerf bars if anyone has experience with those....
Go power running boards if you live in an area with snow/ice, you will thank me later.

We have rolling and tri-fold tonneau covers so I couldn't recommend a hard one.

I find the rolling to be best for working and tri-fold best for different situations.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Tri-fold is nice, and really easy on and off.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Tri-fold is nice, and really easy on and off.
Rolling is more flexible but trifold looks better and if you aren't stuffing things in the bed then you are golden.

I have tri-fold.

Pops has the Rolling.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I have an OE tri-fold for my 1500, but this summer I never got around to removing the shell.

My girlfriend has the optional tri-fold on her 3500, and it comes in handy when she packs the longbed full at Costco. Then, easy enough to fold out of the way when she pulls her gooseneck.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
My douchbag neighbor has one of those multi-level slide out bed cargo things. Looks useful. Can't inspect it though; can't stand to be near this guy.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
We have the Retrax Cover on my wife’s ZR2. It’s a great hard cover.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Go power running boards if you live in an area with snow/ice, you will thank me later.

I find the rolling to be best for working and tri-fold best for different situations.
I‘m going to disagree on the power running boards. I’ve known multiple guys with the Amp steps that after a couple of winters get rid of them. Ice, snow, or mud and they malfunction and either won’t go down or back up.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I've always wondered what happens to those fancy ruining board when you haven't shoveled enough snow and ice out of the way far them to extend.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I‘m going to disagree on the power running boards. I’ve known multiple guys with the Amp steps that after a couple of winters get rid of them. Ice, snow, or mud and they malfunction and either won’t go down or back up.
I have heard good things from the f150 forum, I wouldn't know they come standard on my truck from Ford itself and they work great.

I've always wondered what happens to those fancy ruining board when you haven't shoveled enough snow and ice out of the way far them to extend.
Nothing has happened for the factory running boards yet, they just stop when they hit something.

Can't say much for the amp boards but factory ones are great, come lower than Standard running boards and tuck in and stop snow from getting stuck up against the truck.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I had heard this too (that the Ford stock had been run through the ringer) and seemed to last pretty well. My brother in law had to get them....

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
You have the option to turn them off or on.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
You have the option to turn them off or on.
Yes, I thought you had them on the 250/350

You can turn them on to clean them out or get to the top of the truck if you wash it.

Turn them off so they don't come out.

And then auto, they come out when the door opens and retract when the door is closed.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I have owned every truck and brand over the last 20 plus years and can tell you hands down no for the TACOMA they suck to the MAX. And trust me on that to the point I Sold my 2017 Tacoma Pro and 2019 Tacoma Pro for the Ford Rangers. And if your not a Ford guy nor Chevy Guy than Ram 1500 is the winner and the better tow of the Chevy and Tacoma. Ford makes a damn nice truck these days but the Ram is awesome as well.
View attachment 25598 View attachment 25599 View attachment 25600 View attachment 25601 View attachment 25602 View attachment 25603 View attachment 25604 View attachment 25605 View attachment 25606
Dammit boyo_O

Last edited:
OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #76

Yeah, I was looking at the AMP retractable running boards. They seem nice, but unfortunately they don't have any plug-n-play wiring harness for my truck, and I'm not comfy with the thought of splicing into my brand new wiring harness....otherwise I would get those. I love how they drop lower than others....my wife would too. Although it is kind of entertaining to see my 5'2" tall wife struggle to get in the truck...lol

As far as the Retrax (retractable) bed covers, that's too much $$$ to justify as often as I would use it. I plan to get a decent tri-fold cover. I just like to throw stuff in the bed when I tow my boat and not worry about stuff getting wet. And if it latches and locks, that's even better.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Yeah, I was looking at the AMP retractable running boards. They seem nice, but unfortunately they don't have any plug-n-play wiring harness for my truck, and I'm not comfy with the thought of splicing into my brand new wiring harness....otherwise I would get those. I love how they drop lower than others....my wife would too. Although it is kind of entertaining to see my 5'2" tall wife struggle to get in the truck...lol

As far as the Retrax (retractable) bed covers, that's too much $$$ to justify as often as I would use it. I plan to get a decent tri-fold cover. I just like to throw stuff in the bed when I tow my boat and not worry about stuff getting wet. And if it latches and locks, that's even better.
Understandable, that's one facet where the tundra shows it is severely outdated, even if they offered it as an after the fact accessory you could have still put it on. But it is what it is.

Tri-fold is a solid option, I'll look at which brand is on my truck later.

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #78
Understandable, that's one facet where the tundra shows it is severely outdated, even if they offered it as an after the fact accessory you could have still put it on. But it is what it is.

Tri-fold is a solid option, I'll look at which brand is on my truck later.
As far as the retractable side steps from AMP, I'm sure I could install and wire them. The set they offer is listed for crew cab models and AMP says they need to be cut to size in order to fit double cab models. Do most guys install them themselves, or get a shop or dealer to install them? I imagine it wouldn't be cheap at all to have a shop do it.

-And yes, looking into a try-fold bed cover. Toyota offers one as an option, but of course they don't give anyone what name brand it is.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
As far as the retractable side steps from AMP, I'm sure I could install and wire them. The set they offer is listed for crew cab models and AMP says they need to be cut to size in order to fit double cab models. Do most guys install them themselves, or get a shop or dealer to install them? I imagine it wouldn't be cheap at all to have a shop do it.

-And yes, looking into a try-fold bed cover. Toyota offers one as an option, but of course they don't give anyone what name brand it is.
From what I have seen many prefer local shops to do them, plug and play I have seen people get charged $100-$150 for labor, though I'm sure some have done it on their own.

Did you look for another company besides amp that specializes in toyota?

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #80
As far as retractable side boards, AMP seems to be the only one I've found that make them for most trucks including Toyotas.