Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2.85 with blower spacers?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Any M8 size washer will work correct ?
Correct , I used stainless washer as thin as I could find.

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Im getting ready to begin the install of my supercharger spacer and blanket kit this Sunday. I still have the stock pulley on my car.

I know you’re supposed to be able to use the stock belt but take a look at this picture of the tensioner on my car. It seems to me like it’s way on the tight side in the OEM configuration.

what do you guys think?

im posting here since we are already talking about belt sizes.

Attachments

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Im getting ready to begin the install of my supercharger spacer and blanket kit this Sunday. I still have the stock pulley on my car.

I know you’re supposed to be able to use the stock belt but take a look at this picture of the tensioner on my car. It seems to me like it’s way on the tight side in the OEM configuration.

what do you guys think?

im posting here since we are already talking about belt sizes.
That's pretty tight already , I have a belt 4sale for this ( look in For Sale in Classified Forum ) , 1/4" longer that stock. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Im going to update this thread as well since its relevant.
I went with a Dayco 5100585. It is approximately 13mm longer on the inside (effective length) than the OEM belt.

someone pointed out that Dayco uses the effective length (inside length). Putting it out there so you’re not confused, like I was at first, when comparing Dayco belt to the Gates and Bando belts.

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I didn't hear that , if your talking about the bolts that come in the kit ?.... they were fine for me & I added a small washer under the bolt head so it doesn't dig into the s/c lid.
Meancat, was it you who bought longer dowels to put on the supercharger after installing the spacers?
if so, how did you get the OEM dowels out???

I used vise grips and I can get them to spin in the hole but they won’t come out !!!

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Their a fu*cker to get out, I had to heat the boss with a torch and keep working the pin back and forth until it freed up then wack the vise grips down with a hammer while spinning the pin back and forth. wasn’t much left of them when done, was a real BIT*CH!! I’ve done 5 or 6 of these for guys and EVERY ONE was the same way, like a damn hour on 2 pins :(

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Their a fu*cker to get out, I had to heat the boss with a torch and keep working the pin back and forth until it freed up then wack the vise grips down with a hammer while spinning the pin back and forth. wasn’t much left of them when done, was a real BIT*CH!! I’ve done 5 or 6 of these for guys and EVERY ONE was the same way, like a damn hour on 2 pins :(
Aaaahhhh, it was you !! I’m all over the place trying to get ideas on how to remove them. I asked a couple of guys (I think on the other forum).
im searching all over the place so Im a little confused of who I asked and which forum I asked the question in hahaha.

I got one of the dowels to spin fairly easily by using vice grips and a long metal pipe for leverage. It wouldnt come out so I stopped working on that so that I could go back to the car and clean up all the IC coolant I spilled on the motor/wiring harness while removing the lines.

I’ll get back to the dowels tomorrow. I’m gonna do my best to do it without heat. My level of finesse is not all that high so I don’t want to mess with fire unless I absolutely have to.
thank you for offering more info on removing them.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
👍

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
halfway done with my install, took me all day yesterday to get the blower off the car.
Now I’m gonna take time to wrestle with the dowels and clean up the bottom of the blower beforebi apply the spacers and blanket.

I spilled some coolant when removing the hoses as I expected.
I used brake cleaner to remove the coolant spill from the wire harnesses and connectors.
I didn’t have anything else on hand so I was forced to use brake cleaner to clean up the coolant. im a little concerned about long term damage from spraying brake cleaner on the wire harness and connectors.

what do you guys think? I’ve read many different views on it from being fine to being an issue.

wish I had electronic components cleaner yesterday.

Attachments

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
halfway done with my install, took me all day yesterday to get the blower off the car.
Now I’m gonna take time to wrestle with the dowels and clean up the bottom of the blower beforebi apply the spacers and blanket.

I spilled some coolant when removing the hoses as I expected.
I used brake cleaner to remove the coolant spill from the wire harnesses and connectors.
I didn’t have anything else on hand so I was forced to use brake cleaner to clean up the coolant. im a little concerned about long term damage from spraying brake cleaner on the wire harness and connectors.

what do you guys think? I’ve read many different views on it from being fine to being an issue.

wish I had electronic components cleaner yesterday.
why did you pull injs?? just needed to disconnect fuel line from rail. an brake cleaner will not hurt your wiring.

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #31
My son just talked to someone from litens "the pulley manufacture" and was told to not use spacers. They change the geometry of the supercharger pulley.

I don't understand how that could be.

Has anyone heard of pulley failure because of spacers ?

Has anyone with spacers had a pulley failure?

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
My son just talked to someone from litens "the pulley manufacture" and was told to not use spacers. They change the geometry of the supercharger pulley.

when I installed my litens 2.85 there was a washer or spacer supplied with it but after measuring found that belt alignment would of been off if spacer used. called a guy that installs these all the time an said not needed.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
or are you talking about thermal spacers to seal blower to heads, if so that won`t cause a problem.

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
why did you pull injs?? just needed to disconnect fuel line from rail. an brake cleaner will not hurt your wiring.
i Couldn’t get to the connector that’s behind the supercharger which ties the crossover fuel line to the car’s wiring harness. I chose to leave the injectors connected to the fuel rails to minimize the fuel spill. I pulled them out of the supercharger and peeled them away while I removed the supercharger , as it shows in my picture.

Even though I pulled the fuel pump relay I still had some fuel come out when I unhooked the main fuel line from the rails. I didn’t want to deal with that a second time. I guess I didn’t crank the engine enough to use up whatever fuel was in the lines

you don’t think I’ll have an issue down the road with using brake cleaner To clean up the spilled coolant?. I’m reading conflicting opinions as I research the issue.

really mad at myself for not having the proper cleaners on hand before I started the job.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
i Couldn’t get to the connector that’s behind the supercharger which ties the crossover fuel line to the car’s wiring harness. I chose to leave the injectors connected to the fuel rails to minimize the fuel spill. I pulled them out of the supercharger and peeled them away while I removed the supercharger , as it shows in my picture.

Even though I pulled the fuel pump relay I still had some fuel come out when I unhooked the main fuel line from the rails. I didn’t want to deal with that a second time.

you don’t think I’ll have an issue down the road with using brake cleaner To clean up the spilled coolant?. I’m reading conflicting opinions as I research the issue.

really mad at myself for not having the proper cleaners on hand before I started the job.
retired after 40 years as a mechanic last year an was used all the time ,great cleaner an evaporates quick.

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #36
or are you talking about thermal spacers to seal blower to heads, if so that won`t cause a problem.
Yes

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
retired after 40 years as a mechanic last year an was used all the time ,great cleaner an evaporates quick.
thank you sir. You’ve put my mind at ease a bit. I’ve spent all morning googling and getting conflicting information about wether it’s safe to use brake cleaner on wiring harnesses, rubber and painted surfaces. I’m pretty sure the kind I have at home is non-chlorinated, I’ll have to double check when I get home tonight.

I wish I had a guy like you near me that I could throw a couple of bucks to come and help me do these jobs so I can learn from experience INSTEAD of learning from making mistakes.

Someone on the old forum mentioned the same thing to me. They said the spacers change the geometry of the belt. In theory that is correct, but the change is on the same plane meaning youre only adding elevation to the geometry.

as long as the supercharger is installed in the same exact spot as it was originally (by replacing the dowels with longer ones) you should be ok.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Meancat, was it you who bought longer dowels to put on the supercharger after installing the spacers?
if so, how did you get the OEM dowels out???

I used vise grips and I can get them to spin in the hole but they won’t come out !!!
Sorry I'm late , looks like you have it figured out about now , I didn't pull my dowels out , don't think it's need unless your going pro mod. :)

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Sorry I'm late , looks like you have it figured out about now , I didn't pull my dowels out , don't think it's need unless your going pro mod. :)
All good mean cat Thank you for replying.
I was able to pull my dowels out today, first one came out fairly easy by by spinning it with vice grips then taping the vice grips with a hammer.

the second one was a completely different story !!! It seemed like it was frozen in place somehow (Probably due to the heat cycles, my car has 12,000 miles on it). tried to twist it with the vice grips and it wouldn’t budge, the vice grips kept chewing it up. I had to drill it out ! Talk about nerve wrecking, it was not fun drilling into a blind aluminum hole on the supercharger !! took my time, drilled out a smidge and check, drill out another smidge and re-check. Over and over and over. Finally the dowel got thing enough where I was able to tap it with a punch, get it to spin inside the hole and then pull it out.

I feel like after lifting and removing the supercharger off the motor, taking these dowels out is the hardest part of this job. I’ve heard replacing the supercharger belt is not picnic.

Attachments

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country