Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

180 tstat for the Hellcat

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Yeah cool. The car may just initially get up there on the first driving cycle before all the cooling fans kick in and keep it from getting back up there unless you are pushing the motor hard.
It runs in that 200-205 when I'm pushing it.
I got this car in January of 20 and I have 2600 miles on it and only recently discovered that if you leave it in street mode you can actually get 20 mpg instead of my usual 11 mpg.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
My RE does the same exact BS the first time it warms up. Exactly like that. Now, this is interesting. Eric and @Paladin06 are you guys saying your Redeye's don't do that? Because his RE and mine just both upchucked the SC pulley, but neither of yours did.
This is the reason in the staging lanes I will just leave the car on or start it earlier to get the car cooled down. Now I run a 185 stat now but it still does this even with the lower stat. It’s normal and hard catch if your not looking. I changed my stat because my temp was creeping at the end of the 1/4 mile. Start 20 degrees cooler end 20 cooler or there abouts.

I run a “180” which is really a 185 with fan settings at 192 with the tune. Then in drag mode if brings it down to 185. I have replace this thermostat twice now b/c of the failures I’ve seen. Surprisingly this stat which I got from summit runs 2 degrees cooler then my old one.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
This is starting to get interesting my RE does exact same thing, it goes high only on first heat cycle on start up as soon as t-stat opens first time it won’t do it again until shut off cool down and restart, I was thinking sticking t-stat or possible air in system not allowing water/glycol mix to hit t-stat then suddenly opening. Here is the the odd thing it started acting this way about 1,500 miles ago, Brought it to dealer thinking under warranty, but dealer said perfectly fine I am so F ing certain this DID not act this way for 8 months, and roughly 4500 miles. The first time it did it the ambient temp was high 50s only got down road about 3-4 miles I heard the electric fans spool up high, my first thought was coolant can’t be that hot it’s kind of cool out, not getting on it at all, not in track mode with power chiller on? WTF. So went to dealer apparently that was a mistake. Is it possible for the t-stat to rotate with jiggle valve misoriented I wouldn’t think so with the seating pressure on gasket and sandwiched between housings but heck at this point I have to think outside the box. or should I say think inside the thermostat housing. I think the instrumentation is accurate. I have a high quality fluke infrared thermometer I will shoot the housing on engine side while checking gauges. The car has done it while warming up idling.

Why are some not experiencing this, are their thermostat production variations. If I have to I will pull the sum-bitch out, put it pan of water and poach it till it opens w/ quality thermometer to verify.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
While I am at it I will update my aviator that was reading 666 miles, I should take pick of the temp gauge running high and put that as aviator. LOL.

Last edited:

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
This is starting to get interesting my RE does exact same thing, it goes high only on first heat cycle on start up as soon as t-stat opens first time it won’t do it again until shut off cool down and restart, I was thinking sticking t-stat or possible air in system not allowing water/glycol mix to hit t-stat then suddenly opening. Here is the the odd thing it started acting this way about 1,500 miles ago, Brought it to dealer thinking under warranty, but dealer said perfectly fine I am so F ing certain this DID not act this way for 8 months, and roughly 4500 miles. The first time it did it the ambient temp was high 50s only got down road about 3-4 miles I heard the electric fans spool up high, my first thought was coolant can’t be that hot it’s kind of cool out, not getting on it at all, not in track mode with power chiller on? WTF. So went to dealer apparently that was a mistake. Is it possible for the t-stat to rotate with jiggle valve misoriented I wouldn’t think so with the seating pressure on gasket and sandwiched between housings but heck at this point I have to think outside the box. or should I say think inside the thermostat housing. I think the instrumentation is accurate. I have a high quality fluke infrared thermometer I will shoot the housing on engine side while checking gauges. The car has done it while warming up idling.

Why are some not experiencing this, are their thermostat production variations. If I have to I will pull the sum-bitch out, put it pan of water and poach it till it opens w/ quality thermometer to verify.
While you are at it, put the red dot on the SC pulley when it's been nicely warmed up(if your Fluke projects a red dot).
I am gonna have to get my meter back(once I remember who has it) and start checking temps myself.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Well, speaking of cooling and superchargers. Before taking it to the dealer this morning after their flat insistence last week, they look at my SC under warranty. It seems the apparent pulley failure is not that clear! While totally cold, and totally clean, upon flipping the car into Track Mode this morning. The fans kicked on complete with an antifreeze/water mist! We smelled antifreeze at the track, and blamed it on a faulty cap @ the supercharger res. Well, it was simply getting splashed under the hood with the belts! Now since we understand that, we can begin to think about slipping supercharger belts, hot pulley, release of the pulley grease cap and front of the pulley until finally it puked its grease and began complaining bad, by not allowing the spin of the sc. So now I am glad Dodge is taking a good look at it for me, to restore it. We shall soon know what cut loose up there. Hell, maybe the SC pulley cap spun off and clipped the radiator?? Who knows? Interesting findings to come, I am sure. Make them more complicated, and these things will present more and more interesting problems.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Ok,,, back to the interesting point. 180 or 185 with tune or with out. Does the engine self destruct if you install a 180 stat with out a tune??? The times I did it, it was advised by the maker of the tune to install the 180 cause the running tempt will be too high do to increase in timing. Do the belts that spun away have an increase in timing with the 180 or not.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ok,,, back to the interesting point. 180 or 185 with tune or with out. Does the engine self destruct if you install a 180 stat with out a tune??? The times I did it, it was advised by the maker of the tune to install the 180 cause the running tempt will be too high do to increase in timing. Do the belts that spun away have an increase in timing with the 180 or not.
On the highway, it will probably run cooler, in traffic etc. your fans will not run until it gets to the preset temperatures, so it may run more hot than the 180 degrees, even with the coolant circulating with the thermo open.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
And just how many inter coolers does the car have?? I know how many the new Camaro has and that is why it can out run the Ferrai and the Bi Goli Bigotti. Road course.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
And just how many inter coolers does the car have?? I know how many the new Camaro has and that is why it can out run the Ferrai and the Bi Goli Bigotti. Road course.
I have outrun a Ferrari on a road course with a stock Hellcat and suspension mods. The RE will rip one soon on the same course up here.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
While you are at it, put the red dot on the SC pulley when it's been nicely warmed up(if your Fluke projects a red dot).
I am gonna have to get my meter back(once I remember who has it) and start checking temps myself.
Consider it done, it does project. Also what do you mean by check temps do you have type k or j thermocouples for surface contact measure or are you going to get variable feedback signal from temp sensor feedback to pcm From your meter.

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have placed that dot all over my car. Hot points cold points, gal down the street. She's got sum hot points, mid 30's single butt cheeks hanging out??? Oh we talken cars?? This could be a nice single move I made hea. Butts,, I have found sum hot spots on that Hem I brings concerns. Exxxta warranty. Broke her in right. Time to brake another one in. You single dudes in yoa early 60's just having fun.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
This guy makes it look pretty easy,,,,,

Just stumbled onto this thread, and then this post...

:LOL:

:p;):)

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yepper,,, ask the gal down the street. Running slicks all the way around.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I’ve been running a 180 in my un-modded Redeye since last September with no issues. It does run cooler then it did before the install.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yes Speedster, Hickstah hea and in06. My questionnaire is,, are these guys having problems with there pulleys with 180 stat with no tune or ass back ards. Like Ass Fault?? Fault of an ass cause the track is slick?? I have not dropped one of these silver cheap devils in,, 15 minutes,, with out a tune applied. Could that make a difference to tear up yo pulley system. Never dun that before. Seems extreme to me. Under warranty for 5 moe ears,, so Sir Speedster, I agree, no go. Just ride in el Ri Cols's 1 year old Red Eye blown Warranty 10 times over.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes Speedster, Hickstah hea and in06. My questionnaire is,, are these guys having problems with there pulleys with 180 stat with no tune or ass back ards. Like Ass Fault?? Fault of an ass cause the track is slick?? I have not dropped one of these silver cheap devils in,, 15 minutes,, with out a tune applied. Could that make a difference to tear up yo pulley system. Never dun that before. Seems extreme to me. Under warranty for 5 moe ears,, so Sir Speedster, I agree, no go. Just ride in el Ri Cols's 1 year old Red Eye blown Warranty 10 times over.
Come on up, this Yankee will bust your car for ya in about 15 minutes.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I’ve been running a 180 in my un-modded Redeye since last September with no issues. It does run cooler then it did before the install.
My last time to the track was Nov. When I left the house it was 26F out. I think I would have seen the light.

😆
In the dash, with a code for slow warm up.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Come on up, this Yankee will bust your car for ya in about 15 minutes.
I was trying to see if I could really fire him up.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I was trying to see if I could really fire him up.
Gatz we said proper break in not literally break it. LOL
good luck wit your results on car issue, hope your back on “track‘ soon !

Latest Forum Posts