Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

ZF With Transbrake?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Hp tuners has a patch for thr ford 10 speeds. Allows you to hold both paddles to activate the trans brake. The ZF here is in refernce to a ford eco boost tuner not the trans

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Gotcha. So there is no option at all for a TB for our transmissions?

Hp tuners has a patch for thr ford 10 speeds. Allows you to hold both paddles to activate the trans brake. The ZF here is in refernce to a ford eco boost tuner not the trans

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Gotcha. So there is no option at all for a TB for our transmissions?
I know there was testing last year from sipples. Never heard of results.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
There are a few that have attempted them, the trans doesn't hold it. I have a feeling we will see the billet input shaft and a Tbrake in the 8 speed this year for sure.

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I would have thought Pure would have come out with something by now considering a fully built one is $20k smh

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I would have thought Pure would have come out with something by now considering a fully built one is $20k smh
They are not 20k lol...

I spoke with HP Tuners in early 2021 about this. The Dodge system is not like most valve bodies in which you hold first and reverse. Dodge holds first and second gear together. This is purely in the firmware/pcm. HP Tuners has no plans to port this to any other cars due to chipset issues. Here is what it boils down to.

2015 Cars -> Island onto themselves, chipset is different and doesn't have space to hold extra programming of 2018 PCM, Chuck a 2018 PCM into a 2015 and you'll have a bad time.

2016 - 2017 Cars -> Island to Island, chipset is different and doesn't have space to hold extra programming of 2018 PCM, 2018 PCM might work okay on these cars?

2018+ Cars, might be able to get away with loading a Demon Cal but the BCM would have to be configured.

HP Tuners doesn't not want to spend the money/time/research on making a solution that will work. I heard Sipple was testing but I don't know what they would be testing, the valve body is electronically controlled so unless they trick it into 1+2 and locking up I don't know what would do it unless they have a manual valve body. However that would suck shit going through 8 gears so...

Just buy a TH400 and be done with it.

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
There are non-software and software based solutions to add transbrake functionality to an HP series transmission. Transmission builders like Sipple and Brian Carter and some other guys known outside the Dodge platform have toyed around with their own implementations that seemed to work. You'll have to use your imagination as to why none of those implementations made it to a wider production release.

As for software based solutions, there are standalone TCU controllers that enable a software based solution. Those solutions however have not proven themselves in high powered drag racing applications. I find that they lack a lot of control and documentation is non-existent. They work fine for low powered applications though commonly found in engine and/or trans swaps into lighter weight cars.

With that said, I just put an HP90 transmission back in my Charger. If I had the option to use a transbrake, I don't think I'd ever actually use it for fear of breaking something like an input shaft at my power level.

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
No fret, gents just talked with someone who is close to working on that very issue. possibly this summer.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
I'd like to have a tranbrake on mine.

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Pure Stage (3) HP95 which includes the Billet TQ Converter and Transfer Case was $19, 745.00...... Pretty close to $20k.

The very last thing I want in that truck is a TH400 trust me ive had plenty of those. The ZF trans does everything its dope! I guess its just a pipe dream lol..... Im sure something else would brake if I used it anyway like a DS or input shaft or whatever.

They are not 20k lol...

I spoke with HP Tuners in early 2021 about this. The Dodge system is not like most valve bodies in which you hold first and reverse. Dodge holds first and second gear together. This is purely in the firmware/pcm. HP Tuners has no plans to port this to any other cars due to chipset issues. Here is what it boils down to.

2015 Cars -> Island onto themselves, chipset is different and doesn't have space to hold extra programming of 2018 PCM, Chuck a 2018 PCM into a 2015 and you'll have a bad time.

2016 - 2017 Cars -> Island to Island, chipset is different and doesn't have space to hold extra programming of 2018 PCM, 2018 PCM might work okay on these cars?

2018+ Cars, might be able to get away with loading a Demon Cal but the BCM would have to be configured.

HP Tuners doesn't not want to spend the money/time/research on making a solution that will work. I heard Sipple was testing but I don't know what they would be testing, the valve body is electronically controlled so unless they trick it into 1+2 and locking up I don't know what would do it unless they have a manual valve body. However that would suck shit going through 8 gears so...

Just buy a TH400 and be done with it.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Pure Stage (3) HP95 which includes the Billet TQ Converter and Transfer Case was $19, 745.00...... Pretty close to $20k.

The very last thing I want in that truck is a TH400 trust me ive had plenty of those. The ZF trans does everything its dope! I guess its just a pipe dream lol..... Im sure something else would brake if I used it anyway like a DS or input shaft or whatever.
You are 100% correct I thought this was just a plain ole HP90.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
More updates on the car 🚗

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Ya know bud ur really not wrong cause if I went with a Sipple I would have likely saved $4-5k. I really dont know if I got scammed or not cause a fully built Sipple with converter and transfer case is like under $14k and its also rated at 2000 hp.

IDN maybe the Pure stage 3 has some shit his doesnt but I highly doubt it tho. Although the Stage 2 is about the same price as Sipples and those have gone mid 8's. Maybe the Stage 3 has so upgraded stuff Sipple doesnt have I just really doubt that lol. They were an hour away from me and thats what the shop that built it uses exclusively as they build lots of Supra's and BWM's as well and some flipping fast ones!

That shop has the Fastest BMW M2 in the world. Botti tuned. Botti is the guru tuner in that world and lives local here and is on site tuning there 3 freaking days a week dude must be making $$$$$$ hand over fist. Botti also has the fastest Supra on the planet and the car is kept at the shop there so its a legit shop! Its "The Shop CT" located in Stratford CT

I would have never sent my truck to that shop if my own personal friend didnt start working there tho when I started the build. It was there 9 months but I started the build LONG before that tho.

Buddy use to own his own speed shop so the dude is highly skilled at Turbo and blower car set ups. He was a Grand National guy hence the GNBRETT ha but Its remote tuned with John. Its not a Hellcat shop at all! But I gotta say ive been driving it for a whole week now and its runs flawlessly. The dude did an amazing job putting it together!

Freaking John Moored tune is spot freaking on the drivability of this thing is absolutely amazing! U would never know it makes 1700 hp never! Its so smooth and predictable the dude rocks!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Ya know bud ur really not wrong cause if I went with a Sipple I would have likely saved $4-5k. I really dont know if I got scammed or not cause a fully built Sipple with converter and transfer case is like under $14k and its also rated at 2000 hp.

IDN maybe the Pure stage 3 has some shit his doesnt but I highly doubt it tho. Although the Stage 2 is about the same price as Sipples and those have gone mid 8's. Maybe the Stage 3 has so upgraded stuff Sipple doesnt have I just really doubt that lol. They were an hour away from me and thats what the shop that built it uses exclusively as they build lots of Supra's and BWM's as well and some flipping fast ones!

That shop has the Fastest BMW M2 in the world. Botti tuned. Botti is the guru tuner in that world and lives local here and is on site tuning there 3 freaking days a week dude must be making $$$$$$ hand over fist. Botti also has the fastest Supra on the planet and the car is kept at the shop there so its a legit shop! Its "The Shop CT" located in Stratford CT

I would have never sent my truck to that shop if my own personal friend didnt start working there tho when I started the build. It was there 9 months but I started the build LONG before that tho.

Buddy use to own his own speed shop so the dude is highly skilled at Turbo and blower car set ups. He was a Grand National guy hence the GNBRETT ha but Its remote tuned with John. Its not a Hellcat shop at all! But I gotta say ive been driving it for a whole week now and its runs flawlessly. The dude did an amazing job putting it together!

Freaking John Moored tune is spot freaking on the drivability of this thing is absolutely amazing! U would never know it makes 1700 hp never! Its so smooth and predictable the dude rocks!
Good to hear, must be a blast under boost 😀