Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Would you let your dealership drop your hellcat off to the mechanic??

Hemidayz

Member ID
Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 WB Hellcat Charger
I have a rear bumper that needs replacing through warranty. I have to drop the hellcat off at the dealership and the mechanic has to pick my car up at the dealership and drive it back to his shop to replace the bumper. Im being told I can’t drive it myself to the body shop. I have hand controls on the car and would rather no one else drive it including additional concerns of scratching my rim and joyriding it. The dealerships says I have to sign papers and do a run thru of the car. can I drive it to the body shop or for liability reasons does the mechanic have to pick it up from the dealership?? Thanks in advance

i have a dash cam that records the cabin as well as exterior. hoping the camera will pick up any possible infractions.

Last edited:

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
Legally I m not sure ?
Morally they should let you drive it
At the very least make sure your a passenger

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I’m no lawyer, but I can’t imagine why you can’t drive it. Your car and your insurance. What’s the problem?

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
I had a similar request by a dealer when I needed an alignment under warranty. Local dealer subcontracts a local mechanic to complete the job. They wanted me to drop off the car for the day and their lot guy would deliver it and pick it up from the local alignment place. I opted out and brought it to a dealer who has their own rack. Since, my relationship with the Service Manager of this dealer has been super. I'd bet that he wouldn't treat the situation the same today. Meaning, how's your relationship with the SM? Maybe a short conversation would change the outcome.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Pretty sure the shop just doesnt want to deal with the dealer’s customers directly is all and they have probably told the dealer not to send them with the car. I have a used car business and more than one shop that we use will not deal directly with customers that we sell vehicles to. In a way I don’t blame them. More times than not the customers try to get them in the middle of something and it can be a real PIA.

OP
Hemidayz

Hemidayz

Member ID
Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #6
I had a similar request by a dealer when I needed an alignment under warranty. Local dealer subcontracts a local mechanic to complete the job. They wanted me to drop off the car for the day and their lot guy would deliver it and pick it up from the local alignment place. I opted out and brought it to a dealer who has their own rack. Since, my relationship with the Service Manager of this dealer has been super. I'd bet that he wouldn't treat the situation the same today. Meaning, how's your relationship with the SM? Maybe a short conversation would change the outcome.
I did not buy the car from that specific dealership, I have already asked him if I could drive it to the body shop and he was telling me that's usually not a option.

Last edited:

Detroit Muscle

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Apple Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Make sure you put it in valet mode and hope for the best.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
So here’s an idea you get the repairs done on your time choice of shops and get reimburse. It’s worth Asking. And in that note I wouldn’t be as concerned as the mechanic at the dealer as I would be the body shop which yeah no thanks that’s where the shit happens. If you pick a body shop snd deal directly with the owner or GM it should be much more personal and hopefully they know your concerns.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I have a rear bumper that needs replacing through warranty. I have to drop the hellcat off at the dealership and the mechanic has to pick my car up at the dealership and drive it back to his shop to replace the bumper. Im being told I can’t drive it myself to the body shop. I have hand controls on the car and would rather no one else drive it including additional concerns of scratching my rim and joyriding it. The dealerships says I have to sign papers and do a run thru of the car. can I drive it to the body shop or for liability reasons does the mechanic have to pick it up from the dealership?? Thanks in advance

i have a dash cam that records the cabin as well as exterior. hoping the camera will pick up any possible infractions.
What the hell? That makes no sense to me. I've had a dealer pay for damages they caused and I drove the car to the body shop of my choice. Personally, I'd draw up a waiver for the transport part of it, (that you won't sue them - which is dumb as shit - much more likely to sue them BC they F it up when they drive it) and offer them that. Or talk to the GM or FCA directly. I don't get that at all.

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Yeah, wouldn't fly with me. This would be my response: I'll be driving it, you work out what you got to do about your policies and rules.

OP
Hemidayz

Hemidayz

Member ID
Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #11
What the hell? That makes no sense to me. I've had a dealer pay for damages they caused and I drove the car to the body shop of my choice. Personally, I'd draw up a waiver for the transport part of it, (that you won't sue them - which is dumb as shit - much more likely to sue them BC they F it up when they drive it) and offer them that. Or talk to the GM or FCA directly. I don't get that at all.
the dealer is not the one that caused the damage. i bought it out of state shipped to me and the dealership that is servicing me said the part is being shipped to an FCA approved body shop. thats why they want me to drop it off at the dealership.

OP
Hemidayz

Hemidayz

Member ID
Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #12
Yeah, wouldn't fly with me. This would be my response: I'll be driving it, you work out what you got to do about your policies and rules.
I sort of agreed to let the guy pick it up but i think I’m just gonna tell him this.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
the dealer is not the one that caused the damage. i bought it out of state shipped to me and the dealership that is servicing me said the part is being shipped to an FCA approved body shop. thats why they want me to drop it off at the dealership.
Still makes no sense. Get FCA involved or tell them to show you where in writing it says you cannot drop it off. If you have the money, and it matters, consultant an attorney. I don't do NV law but that makes no sense at all, regardless of what they're saying.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
It’s the ass assist thread lol cause everyone has one.
So here’s a question could a on sight Dent and repair company do this? Once again never hurts to ask for an estimate from one of them.

OP
Hemidayz

Hemidayz

Member ID
Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #15
It’s the ass assist thread lol cause everyone has one.
So here’s a question could a on sight Dent and repair company do this? Once again never hurts to ask for an estimate from one of them.
that's a good question, one that I should've asked in the beginning. However, the rear replacement bumper is already at the body shop and it has been painted by them. I don't think I clarified but FCA sent over a new unpainted bumper to the bodyshop.

Designflaw

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sadieville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 WB M6 Cat
I would never go to a dealer that didn't have their own.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Just the fact that it has hand controls would be a good reason to let you drive it.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
That's no joke. If it is an ADA thing, let you drive. Demand it. Design - I don't trust in house body shops at the dealer - just seen too much shoddy work (on other's cars).

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I would never go to a dealer that didn't have their own.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
A large number of dealers these days do not have in house body shops. to much overhead. Yeah the hand controls would cause me to say No way would I let him drive it. If He is not use that, He could stack it up real easy!