Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Which Oil??

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
We talked about this a bit a while back, but I've still not been able to find the PUP in 5qt jugs for 0W40, seems Penzoil decided to quit making it.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Speedy oil.

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
This sounds like a really expensive repair....did you buy the redeye engine as a crate engine from a dodge dealership or did you find that used somewhere from a wreck or something? (I apologize if you covered that somewhere already and I missed ti). Just wondering....

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Nice vid. Speedy, I agree that these shouldn't be revved past 6500 rpm. On the oil cooler drain plug I just cut a hole in the belly pan so it doesn't have to be removed. And I like to fill the oil filter too , like you said if you can it doesn't hurt to help it prime up quicker.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #5
This sounds like a really expensive repair....did you buy the redeye engine as a crate engine from a dodge dealership or did you find that used somewhere from a wreck or something? (I apologize if you covered that somewhere already and I missed ti). Just wondering....
Wasn't exactly cheap LOL. It was a Demon/RE crate motor brand new and re-used my Hellcat supercharger. There's a bunch of videos on it on the channel.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I just throw any oil in mine as long as it’s lubricant it’s fine

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
I’ve been getting Penzoil 0w40 from Amazon, but it’s in quart bottles. I’d prefer the 5 quart jugs too.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Speedy, a few thoughts on your vid....which is great - they all are!

I agree - I'd go back to Mobil 1 and call it a day. I'm not a brandophile when it comes to oil myself....any decent full synthetic oil should be fine. As I've gotten older, I think having a good filter is just as important as the oil. -Funny about Mobil 1 0W-40, as it used to be THE recommended oil for my '11 SRT8 392 until FCA took over and dropped Mobil and contracted with Pennzoil instead....and added this MS - blank blank recommendation. Funny, but many years back Pennzoil wasn't held in real high regard as being a quality oil....but that was back when most vehicles still ran Dino oil vs. synthetics.

I've never heard of any significant differences in blower designs between '16 and '18 hellcats. I wonder if your new Redeye engine is just more capable of using the boost instead of stacking it up in the intake....and that's why others are seeing slightly more boost using the same pulley sizes on their HC engines vs. your RE engine? Have you considered replacing your HC blower with either a RE blower, or something aftermarket and slightly bigger?

Neat to see how green your area is outside this time of year! Up where I'm at in WI., we're already dipping into the low 20's or teens at night and only getting in the 40's max during the day. I only notice because I plan to relocate to TN. in the next couple of years....somewhere either mid TN. or S/E or S/W of where you're at. Your location from what I've read (Murfreesboro) is one of the fastest growing areas around, but I'm looking for a nice area where houses are reasonable or cheap on 5 or so acres, and is more "out in the country" than the city or 'burbs. I don't mind driving 45 minutes to the nearest grocery store or hospital. Any places around you in TN. like that?

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Speedy, I really enjoy your videos! I'll be looking to see if you have any videos on injectors and pulling the ecu (I have a challenger though) when I get to the point of tuning my Redeye. I believe I've already seen a video of you doing the 180 t-stat (I'll refresh that when I do that as well). If you think Pennzoil is expensive at $6 a quart, I pay about $10 a quart for Schaeffer oil, lol. Tons of my racer buddies swear by it, so I figured I'd give it a shot and send some samples in for oil analysis down the road.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thanks for the video Speedy!!! Always informative and interesting watching them.

I have been a fan of the Mobile1 for a long time, in fact I initially purchased Mobile1 0W40 for the Hellcat, but decided to err on the side of caution after reading in this (the old one - I mean) forum. I do like to hear what others think on this subject...

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
The Redeye cam is the other difference between the 2 engines.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Any quality oil has never cost anyone an engine.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
The Redeye cam is the other difference between the 2 engines.
Valid point! If there is a difference, it could be the reason for the difference in boost.....

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I’ll stick with the recommended oil. I never knew it was ever offered in jugs? I just wish it was more available at places like Walmart. It has been on sale at NAPA as many of you know.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #15
To clarify, the Penzoil Platinum Synthetic I found in 5qt jugs was the Euro flavor, not the SRT blabidy blah stuff. It was like $22 - $23 for a 5qt jug. Pisses me off I can't find it now.

Speedy, a few thoughts on your vid....which is great - they all are!

I agree - I'd go back to Mobil 1 and call it a day. I'm not a brandophile when it comes to oil myself....any decent full synthetic oil should be fine. As I've gotten older, I think having a good filter is just as important as the oil. -Funny about Mobil 1 0W-40, as it used to be THE recommended oil for my '11 SRT8 392 until FCA took over and dropped Mobil and contracted with Pennzoil instead....and added this MS - blank blank recommendation. Funny, but many years back Pennzoil wasn't held in real high regard as being a quality oil....but that was back when most vehicles still ran Dino oil vs. synthetics.

I've never heard of any significant differences in blower designs between '16 and '18 hellcats. I wonder if your new Redeye engine is just more capable of using the boost instead of stacking it up in the intake....and that's why others are seeing slightly more boost using the same pulley sizes on their HC engines vs. your RE engine? Have you considered replacing your HC blower with either a RE blower, or something aftermarket and slightly bigger?

Neat to see how green your area is outside this time of year! Up where I'm at in WI., we're already dipping into the low 20's or teens at night and only getting in the 40's max during the day. I only notice because I plan to relocate to TN. in the next couple of years....somewhere either mid TN. or S/E or S/W of where you're at. Your location from what I've read (Murfreesboro) is one of the fastest growing areas around, but I'm looking for a nice area where houses are reasonable or cheap on 5 or so acres, and is more "out in the country" than the city or 'burbs. I don't mind driving 45 minutes to the nearest grocery store or hospital. Any places around you in TN. like that?
I've got a bit before my next oil change but it's looking like Mobil 1 0W40 Euro is gonna be it. Saw it at Wally World Sunday for $24 a 5qt jug. I used to obsess about these sort of things until I spent about 3 years running my own oil tests and realized they're not all that different and Mobil 1 and PP did hold up better in terms of TBN and other items so those are what I stick with. Although I've heard good things about the Wally World synthetic and the Amazon brand as well.

Keep in mind some scenes in my videos aren't current day ;) That aerial shot might have been from May.

The 2.72 pulley made the same boost on my old stock Hellcat motor. Several people with 2017 and up have reported it makes more boost for whatever reason on theirs.

Speedy, I really enjoy your videos! I'll be looking to see if you have any videos on injectors and pulling the ecu (I have a challenger though) when I get to the point of tuning my Redeye. I believe I've already seen a video of you doing the 180 t-stat (I'll refresh that when I do that as well). If you think Pennzoil is expensive at $6 a quart, I pay about $10 a quart for Schaeffer oil, lol. Tons of my racer buddies swear by it, so I figured I'd give it a shot and send some samples in for oil analysis down the road.
Yep, got vids on all that. Just hitup the Go Man Go play list and grab a cold one :)

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I am fan of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum line of oils and I use Castrol Edge 5w50 in all of my LS engines (it is a synthetic designed for older engines with more zinc and phosphorus). I used to use "German" Castrol Syntec 0w30 until it was discontinued - now it comes from Germany as a 0w40 weight and is still very good for a consumer grade oil and would work fine in these engines.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3535964/Castrol_0W-30_Belgium_vs_Castr

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../printthread/Board/48/main/280328/type/thread

Last edited:

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Good to hear someone else uses Castrol oil. I've used it for many years in all sorts of different applications, and never had any oil related issues. Always reasonably priced too. Never knew they even had a 0W-40 synthetic...I'll have to look out for it!

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Why isn’t anyone putting good old Quaker State in these motors? I mean come on that upper valve train just loves the sludge effect lol. Thanks for sharing Speedy and now go eat some Turkey would ya.

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
FWIW...Napa is having a sale on PUP till the end of Nov.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I just checked Walmart for price on the Mobil and I think it comes out as $5.06 a quart. It’s nice that the option is there and I am sure it’s fine. I am sticking with Pennzoil for now.