Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

UPDATED - Separate tire comparison post - 555R vs M/T ET Street SS - DISILLUSIONMENT

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So, first off, let me say, this comparison is not as scientific as I originally intended. There was a delay of some 3 hours or so between the 555R end-of-life bench marking and the installation and testing of the M/Ts; also, under the current conditions I was not able to record nearly as much of the data as intended. I will provide as much information as I can and you can draw your own conclusions. I'll also post my own conclusions at the end. Both tires on 11x20s; 305s. Altitude 2580.

BASELINE 555R - these were nearly bald 555Rs, second set. Inflated (at running temp) to around 32 psi. Outside temp 70, ~20 mph cross wind, 23% humidity, barometer 27.10. TXDOT high-temp resistance composition asphalt (mild dust burden). Approximately 14 0-60 runs. Custom setting Track for everything except Suspension (Street, for weight transfer), and Traction (Sport, for full off - recall that in Track mode Trac still functions but with a different set of algorithms and I've never been able to find clear parameters even from Dodge SRT).

Result: One 3.8, 2 or 3 = 3.9, bunch of 4.0, one 4.1. Much spin on launch (several aborts when the rear broke free completely). Careful throttle management is essential to a good launch; even critical.

BASELINE MT - several hours later. Newly installed; probably 20 - 30 miles on them before the runs. Running temp pressure 38 psi. Outside temp 58, 13 mph wind off the port quarter, 33% humidity, barometer 27.17. Same surface. Six runs. Same settings. Visually appears a little wider than the 555R but this may be observational bias since they are new, clean, and still have the "spikes" on them.

Result: One 3.7, two 3.8, two 3.9, one 4.0 (maybe zero 4.0). No aborts. Slower runs initially because still launching in 555R mode, trying to avoid as much wheel spin as possible. All runs back to back; best runs at end. Anticipate with just a few more runs would have easily hit a 3.6, possibly consistently. 3.6 is the best I've ever run in that location on 555Rs and it was actually done in 46 degree weather with a set of 275s on the OEM rear wheels. So, just slapping these MTs on and running a 3.7 is significant. More forgiving on launch technique; easier to launch well.

Overall impression: the MT is far and away the stickier tire. It has more "float" and "bounce" (for just that reason) than the 555R but I'd never run the BBORR with these as rears anyway. For street driving, the way I drive, I expect these to be the best tire I've ever had on the car. Still need more testing to determine limits of the launch but on initial usage it is significantly better than the 555R. I am going to be mindful of that float though, given the experiences I've had before at 100 plus going into left hand sweeper with rough surface at WOT, until I have a better guage on the handling. When I got after it on the street with some spirited pulls on the way to the "track" I could tell a difference too. Much better grip. My advice: based on limited testing so far I would say this is a good candidate for replacing your 555Rs.

Hope this was useful.

Last edited:

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Thanks for that info and comparison.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
They're amazing... for about 1000 miles... after that, they still appear to have good tread but too many heat cycles on the street kills the traction benefit. Got about 7k miles out of mine but only the first 1k had good traction. After that, no better than a 555R.

NTO5R is my choice for a near stock and even up to about 750whp. Almost as sticky but don't heat cycle near as easy as the S/S so you get much longer period of great street traction out of them. Will last about the same 7k miles but you'll get a really good 4-5k miles out of them unlike 1k with the MT.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
I'll watch for that. Good to know. I am hoping that with the significantly reduced spin the heat transfer/build up should be reduced too.

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
I'll watch for that. Good to know. I am hoping that with the significantly reduced spin the heat transfer/build up should be reduced too.
Trust me those suckers will be heat cycled driving like a granny if you go more than about 20 miles.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Update -

Still far superior to the 555Rs. Commentary: they will feel like they're not slipping / spinning but will be leaving hefty black marks. As noted earlier, the sidewall is significantly softer than the 555Rs, with increased wander back there during normal driving. Not alarming, but need to readjust / recalibrate your brain settings to effectively predict the reaction of the car when driving spiritedly.

Most recently, had a few minutes to spare so ran out to the test stretch (same as above review). Dry, sunny, medium level of dust blown onto roads by high winds the day before. Head wind, 10-15 mph (gusting to 20). Temp low 50s. Fronts (OEM all seasons) at 27; M/Ts at 35. First three acceleration runs back to back 3.7 0-60. Back to back as in hit them one after the other with strong (but not maximum) braking, set up, then launch again. Testing sequence is generally 3 runs in 45 to 60 seconds. As noted above, 3.6 was all-time PB at this location on 555R and that was on 275s (first set of 555Rs) at 43 degrees with a clean road surface. Far more consistent than the 555R. Nine more runs were worse as I was experimenting with different launch methods. Some 3.8s, 3.9s, and 4.0s. But what stands out is the 3.7s, three times in a row. On the 555Rs some 3.8s were there, and 3.9 was basically a standard. What I am after is launch on the street, so that's why there is no track times (track is nearly 200 mile round trip and with 4 businesses, 3 kids, and 1 wife, does not get visited.

Peace

Last edited:
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
UPDATED - so, as double wide said, the M/Ts have significantly decreased in flat performance after X number of miles. It is something I've never experienced myself. The tires act exactly the same (no increased penchant for spinning - as noted previously, they spun, left black marks, but conversely hooked at the same time) but traction has dropped off, if anything, to less than the 555Rs. I am still experimenting with them to see if you can driver mod around it. I'd really like to see the specific formula for the compound and compare it to the 555R. So, in my opinion, the tire is not really worth it. If it's only good for X number of cycles before the compound degrades, then unless you drive a short distance to the track, you won't get but a few runs out the tires. And if you have to change wheels at the track, why not just use straight slicks anyway?

So, while it did give the car the best street traction over all that I have experienced with any tire, that "window," for lack of a better word, was comparatively short.

I do not see how a burn out would even help the traction as it appeared to me that the tires were hotter than others when I was airing the down during some of my runs (so if it was already compromised by the few runs that had been made, heating them more before the run should not improve grip, unless I don't understand the compound).

Doublewide, credit where credit is do my man.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I hated them, my vote goes for the NTO5R as well, I’m on my third set now love them

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
4000 miles on PS4S returned a 3.3 second 0-60 at 57 degrees air temp on a shitty street Sunday on the first try this season. 340 lb of two people in a 4500 lb car. The tire has plenty of thread/life remaining. You get what you pay for in this case.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
BASELINE 555R - these were nearly bald 555Rs, second set. Inflated (at running temp) to around 32 psi.

BASELINE MT - several hours later. Newly installed; probably 20 - 30 miles on them before the runs. Running temp pressure 38 psi.
I think they would work better with a little less air pressure than 38 psi?

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
I hated them, my vote goes for the NTO5R as well, I’m on my third set now love them
"Straight from Nitto tech..
The NT555RII was designed to be an improvement over the NT05R so much so that sidewall construction was modified to provide better 60' times over the NT05R. However, between the 2, the NT05R would slightly more aggressive rubber compound.
"

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
"Straight from Nitto tech..
The NT555RII was designed to be an improvement over the NT05R so much so that sidewall construction was modified to provide better 60' times over the NT05R. However, between the 2, the NT05R would slightly more aggressive rubber compound.
"
So which one did the tech say is better off the line which would be better for 60’ 0-60, 1/8, 1/4 etc? Seems like a confusing contradicting answer he gave you?

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
So which one did the tech say is better off the line which would be better for 60’ 0-60, 1/8, 1/4 etc? Seems like a confusing contradicting answer he gave you?
I read it as the NT555RII was designed to be an improvement over the NT05R so much so that sidewall construction was modified to provide better 60' times over the NT05R with the NT05R having a slightly more aggressive design.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
What I’m hearing is you can enjoy the life of 05r’s more. I don’t even have 1000 miles on my 555r’s and they’re already spinning a lot more than when I first got them. I mean, I’ve done a few small burnouts and a few 0-60’s and that’s it! I haven’t even really used them yet

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
The MT is a way better tire for hooking up. I’ve ran the nt555R, NT05R, and the MT SS, and the MT R’s

the SS is the best tire for street for the guy that likes to rip around town because it sticks allot. The nittos i always would play catch the rear end on quick smacks of the throttle with occasionally catching.
The nittos would grab literally 30-40% of the time.
With the MT I would get a sold 70-80% traction on the hit.

these are from a slight roll or fast roll. From a stop they are similar but with a slight edge to the MT SS.

rain I’ve had no issues with the SS or any other tire except the R. and the nitto nt05R was the most comfortable tire For all day driving.

I always rock the MT SS because I want to hook up on the street.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Not looking for a war of tires here just sharing my experience with the ET SS’s Here’s my MT Street SS ET’s
They didn’t last 3 weeks I don’t think, hooked up decent for maybe 10 runs and they got worse and worse and I until I replaced them. I may try a 555RII but I’ll never use a Street SS ET again. I love my 315 NT05r’s on the street, they grip god right till the treads gone. M6 here and I’ve done 11.3 136 mph on the street 1/4’s with them and 3.2 0-60’s. Now at the track I run a 17” 315 MT Street R and love them at track, best 10.6 at 136 mph with 1.51 60’ and that was the first time out with them this year and then thy closed the tracks the weekend after. I’m not brand loyal to nothing except which worked best for me, at least. Maybe I just got a bad set of the MT Street ET’s? They did nothing but ball up with snots which was like launching on marbles, see picture. But they where trying to harness 850 wheel too, that’s a tough match for any 20” tire lol.
25ACE46D-4B29-445E-96C9-417C73BF22C4.jpeg 48DF4E11-E706-4D0D-AC7E-5D6BC7649851.jpeg 060EA605-7E9B-443C-A13C-2606A1F36887.jpeg

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I read it as the NT555RII was designed to be an improvement over the NT05R so much so that sidewall construction was modified to provide better 60' times over the NT05R with the NT05R having a slightly more aggressive design.
Still a weird way to put it, they must be pretty close to one another is the way I’ll take it lol. My guess is the NT555RII is a full tread depth tire not like the 5/32” depth when new NT05R s are like. I’ve been told my tires are bald and need replacing when their brand new lol. I may try the 555RII’s some day.

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
UPDATED - so, as double wide said, the M/Ts have significantly decreased in flat performance after X number of miles. It is something I've never experienced myself. The tires act exactly the same (no increased penchant for spinning - as noted previously, they spun, left black marks, but conversely hooked at the same time) but traction has dropped off, if anything, to less than the 555Rs. I am still experimenting with them to see if you can driver mod around it. I'd really like to see the specific formula for the compound and compare it to the 555R. So, in my opinion, the tire is not really worth it. If it's only good for X number of cycles before the compound degrades, then unless you drive a short distance to the track, you won't get but a few runs out the tires. And if you have to change wheels at the track, why not just use straight slicks anyway?

So, while it did give the car the best street traction over all that I have experienced with any tire, that "window," for lack of a better word, was comparatively short.

I do not see how a burn out would even help the traction as it appeared to me that the tires were hotter than others when I was airing the down during some of my runs (so if it was already compromised by the few runs that had been made, heating them more before the run should not improve grip, unless I don't understand the compound).

Doublewide, credit where credit is do my man.
It's unfortunate but they simply dont last. 750-1000 miles and traction becomes the equivalent to the stock tires. Once you're 900+hp, you just got to suck it up and go with the s/s or the R and just deal with an insanely short period of time with good traction. NTO5R won't give traction with 900whp at full throttle in any gear under 4th unfortunately but amazing at 800ish whp and less. what's really great is that you get great traction for practically the whole life of the tire (with some degradation that should be expected of any tire)

Last edited:

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I’ve gotten longer than 1000. I usually get 2-3000 of solid driving.

i don’t roast my tires and I don’t spin with them. I’m always making sure it grabs before the foot goes to the floor.

As long as your not getting wheels spin all the time, they’ll last. And even a stock hellcat can burnout in any tire you put on. So the other half to making them last is to make sure you got the pedal control down.

those wheels shown in the pic above, those tires are out of balance. One side has tread and the other doesn’t. Those tires are trashed.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Not looking for a war of tires here just sharing my experience with the ET SS’s Here’s my MT Street SS ET’s
They didn’t last 3 weeks I don’t think, hooked up decent for maybe 10 runs and they got worse and worse and I until I replaced them. I may try a 555RII but I’ll never use a Street SS ET again. I love my 315 NT05r’s on the street, they grip god right till the treads gone. M6 here and I’ve done 11.3 136 mph on the street 1/4’s with them and 3.2 0-60’s. Now at the track I run a 17” 315 MT Street R and love them at track, best 10.6 at 136 mph with 1.51 60’ and that was the first time out with them this year and then thy closed the tracks the weekend after. I’m not brand loyal to nothing except which worked best for me, at least. Maybe I just got a bad set of the MT Street ET’s? They did nothing but ball up with snots which was like launching on marbles, see picture. But they where trying to harness 850 wheel too, that’s a tough match for any 20” tire lol.
View attachment 15569 View attachment 15570 View attachment 15571
You can also see in your pic that you have destroyed the tire. The ridges in the rubber is the multiple heat cycles of melting that rubber apart and then it cooling down. I’ve done the same thing to my first sets.

I only see that type of damage to the tires noawadays after a dyno session and we have wheel spin on the dyno. Never on the street, unless the tires have been bbq’d

one of the reasons your having traction problems is because your rear end is not balanced right and you don’t have a good contact patch.

some adjustable or fixed position rear control arms will straighten that wheel and tire out giving you a solid surface.
It will make that tire last twice as long and you will get more traction which will reduce all that wheel spin your getting. Making everything better. You can’t simply blame those things on the tire. If your killing a set of MT SS in 700-1000 miles it’s not the tire.