Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

UOA - Oil Analysis sampling methods COMPARED

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
For those of us who send their engine oil for analysis...

I've been sending in my engine oil on the HC since it was new. Some of this was silly curiosity, some of it was a belief that IF I ever sold the car, that the UOA would have value to the next owner and would add either some level of tangible value or at least an increased marketability. i.e., Yes the car has been "tracked", but here are the lab results of the engine to show that in fact, the engine is still solid and not self destructing.

But, in order to do the oil sample "correctly", you have to have run the engine for at least 20 minutes of load, and then additionally, perform a "clean catch" method of oil from the pan. This is as simple as removing the oil pan plug, allowing some measure of oil to flow out, and only then collect the oil sample into the sample tube.

The only problem with this is that, at least for me, I'm on my back under the car while it's only up on RaceRamps which don't allow for a bunch of room to move around. There's of course also the oil pan to collect the used oil, AND the oil is ~220F.

I feel like a knight of old playing siege on the castle and worrying about the hot oil coming down on me, which regrettably I have done once or twice, once or twice too many times.

===============================

Well wouldn't you just know it, Blackstone Labs sells this:

Vacuum Pump
1633993190294.png

Which is fine, except it doesn't address a couple of things, and introduces a change to the way I've been sampling already, and I didn't want to introduce a variable to my analysis trends. (It doesn't accomplish the "clean catch" method and also potentially allows for sampling on a cold engine)

Well as apposed to debating differences in sampling techniques with either myself or anyone else for that matter, I set off to do what any good eeeginear would do, test...

"Normal" "clean catch" sample method from oil pan drain:
I - N92032 cleaned.jpg

Vacuum Pump on a hot engine:
Hot Dipstick Sample Method.jpg

Vacuum Pump on a cold engine:
Cold Dipstick Sample Method.jpg

Ignore the statement about "dropping the pan", I don't do this, I'm not sure where this statement comes from. When they called me to ask what the hell I was doing, in my explanation, I think they misinterpreted my comparison of "oil pan PLUG" versus "dipstick".

So there are differences, that much is clear, but they don't seem to be notable?? I'll let you decide for yourself if you think they are or not.

Much like the oil analysis themselves, I did this testing in sampling differences as much as not for an exercise in knowledge for myself versus trying to prove anything one way or another.

@Hellcatcfp

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Good that she's still healthy & you have good record of it.
I've done the oil analyses 1 time, the beginning of this year, I figured I would do it once a year for comparison year to year.
On collecting it I just let it drain a little bit at first & stick the bottle in the stream with gloves on, wipe off, done.

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #3
Good that she's still healthy & you have good record of it.
I've done the oil analyses 1 time, the beginning of this year, I figured I would do it once a year for comparison year to year.
On collecting it I just let it drain a little bit at first & stick the bottle in the stream with gloves on, wipe off, done.

The other thing I've done is just plain forget to do it until it's nearly too late and had to collect the drips at the very end... (only once)

Probably because I'm too focused on getting the plug out without dying and making sure the oil is going into the pan and not splashing all over the ground.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
The other thing I've done is just plain forget to do it until it's nearly too late and had to collect the drips at the very end... (only once)

Probably because I'm too focused on getting the plug out without dying and making sure the oil is going into the pan and not splashing all over the ground.
Yeah, it can get messy, I started holding the catch pan up close with 1 hand while I unscrew the last threads on the oil plug with the other hand, when oil starts coming out then I slowly lower the catch pan to the ground where the oil stream will hit good in the catch pan.
Works pretty good most the time.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I use one of these after breaking the plug loose and position the drain pan’s edge directly under the drain hole. Once the pressure drops and the oil isn’t shooting out, I center the pan underneath to catch the rest. Works great.
Strong Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Remover Tool Wrench Anti Scald Magnetic Sump Plug Removal Pick Up Tool 13 inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW9HL5...abc_JBAJ2TFZAW5D8JHG2V8J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
My urologist wants a clean catch too, but that method doesn’t work so well. 😁

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #6
I use one of these after breaking the plug loose and position the drain pan’s edge directly under the drain hole. Once the pressure drops and the oil isn’t shooting out, I center the pan underneath to catch the rest. Works great.
Strong Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Remover Tool Wrench Anti Scald Magnetic Sump Plug Removal Pick Up Tool 13 inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW9HL5...abc_JBAJ2TFZAW5D8JHG2V8J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
My urologist wants a clean catch too, but that method doesn’t work so well. 😁

Well shit, I'm getting one of those anyway, even with the vacuum pump method!!

: )

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Why don't you do it when it's time for an oil change? Drive the shit out of it, put it on stands and let it drain. Scoop what you need.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Well shit, I'm getting one of those anyway, even with the vacuum pump method!!

: )
I don’t know if that particular one is what I have but it’s worked well for years.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That sounds too kinds street smart to me.

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #10
Why don't you do it when it's time for an oil change? Drive the shit out of it, put it on stands and let it drain. Scoop what you need.

Tight, burns, etc....

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
What I thought ,,, too strong headed for the general analysis. Good for me do to going to the dealershits on Tuesday for general,,, mine uept, idiots, snot so free maintenance. Have my newly delivered magnetic oil plug installed and ask for the original. And attempt not to piss em off too bad. Idiots.

JP426

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Walla Walla
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I forgot to take my sample during the drain process on my last oil change. I took a sample out of the oil filter after I removed it. I noted this on my sample sheet. The results were almost identical to my previous samples that were taken from the stream of draining oil. I don't recommend taking the sample from the filter as it is a pain to pour it into the sample bottle. Just an alternative if you forget to take it during the drain process.

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat

I've got one of these installed....
https://www.fumotousa.com/f106sx.html

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #14

I've debated with myself about those in the past.

I feel like the thread will cause a "lip" and trap a small puddle of dirty oil, and even if that's not the case, I would have to give up my magnetic plug.

: (

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I've debated with myself about those in the past.

I feel like the thread will cause a "lip" and trap a small puddle of dirty oil, and even if that's not the case, I would have to give up my magnetic plug.

: (
Magnetic drain plug would have to go, yes. As far as the lip is concerned, I'm sure there is much more oil trapped internally in the journals, etc.

The other thing I don't like about it is the hose fitting. Not quite long enough. I put a small length of plastic tubing on the end and drain right into gallon jugs. But once the hot oil softens the plastic, it tends to slip off. (don't ask how I know).

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #16
I suppose the FIVE other magnets I have installed could do the job??

(Four on the filter and the mag-plug in the cooler drain.)

o_O

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
One of those add knlowedgements ,, of do I really want to know this. So many magnets in so many places may find what you don't want to know.

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #18
One of those add knlowedgements ,, of do I really want to know this. So many magnets in so many places may find what you don't want to know.

I'm always wondering about the day I pull the pan drain plug out and find a piece of "something" attached to it. :oops:

So far it's only ever been the tiniest of dust attached to it... :cool:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Good,,,, cause mine goes in tomorrow. Going to make sure they install it and not pocket it. Get the original back.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I never drain the oil when it's hot. Don't have to worry about getting burned as a result.😉
Blackstone still gives me good results.
Heck, we have 0W cold oil. Why would it have to be hot when you drain it?