Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

U connect antenna

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Anyone know if the antenna for the U connect can be accessed and disconnected, front or rear?
I don't use any of the features that need to access over the air, I never subscribed to or connected to U connect when I bought the car new. I don't want anything to do with it. I understand it controls the climate, performance pages and more. However, they all function without being connected.
Now I'm getting an update window that disables the volume control and who knows what else.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Disables the volume control??

Only under certain conditions I hope?

...Now I'm getting an update window that disables the volume control and who knows what else.

Lilschmied

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nowhereville
State
Non-US
Country
United States
You can disconnect the antenna from the back of the radio, but you'll get another obnoxious service phone message warning instead. At least the older uconnects did(Harman models), haven't tried it on the cat. You need a resistor on the back of the radio to match the impedance of the antenna, I believe there are some sites that sell a fix cable for way too much money when all you need is a $.01 resistor. Depending on where you're at and the towers nearby, you'll potentially still get enough cell service for it to try OTA updates even disconnected.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I HATE Uconnect :(

OP
Deano

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Thread Starter #5
Disables the volume control??

Only under certain conditions I hope?
As I was driving when the update window opened, I was only aware of the radio volume being affected. It did not affect drivabilty as far as I could tell.

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
You are free to do what you want but - the uConnect updates are for the whole system, not just stuff like the performance pages. I would just let it update.
For example when I got my 2015 HC the sound system sounded like the speakers were playing through a cheap Kazoo - really bad. Then there was an uConnect update and it was fixed.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
...sounded like the speakers were playing through a cheap Kazoo

I think that was Sirius' Kazoo Channel.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I dislike this ET phone home bullshit with everything electronic now. And by using it you agree to them downloading you play lists, you phone calls, address books, shoe size and number of bathroom breaks, determined by algorithms that check how many times you stop for less than 15 minutes wo putting gas in the car.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
But them most folks have already given all that info to amafacetuber anyway, for free

OP
Deano

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Thread Starter #10
When driving it today I noticed only "Climate", and some limited "Settings" and "Apps" were all that functioned. No "SRT", "Performance Pages" or "Media".
So, as per some information from contributors above, I gave in and activated the update. It will be interesting to see the results. I will be anxiously waiting.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Nothing tragic happens. No mysterious force controls your life by doing OTA updates. Dont hold your breath, youre not going to notice anything actually.

Lilschmied

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nowhereville
State
Non-US
Country
United States
The lack of SRT pages usually means it hasn't synced with the rest of the car yet(BCM). The way the software works(again basing on my now dated Harman knowledge), it checks the body code and then looks for configuration options like SRT. In my previous endeavors I was able to fool a uconnect radio into thinking my 200S was an SRT and have it load performance pages. Didn't change anything else in the car just modded the radio. Useless in the end but fun to toy with. The latest loads locked us out of all that fun.:(

Not sure why your options would go away while a pending update was there. Must be a feature to encourage your participation...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Nothing tragic happens. No mysterious force controls your life by doing OTA updates. Dont hold your breath, youre not going to notice anything actually.
Dont believe it! The FBI is on it's way to your door right now! In a Stellantis!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Hickstah hea,,
Any one know an easy way to charge a battery on a 2018 H/C when the trunk lid release want work?? I have a broken neck and can't crawl to the back. Pain in the ass.

OP
Deano

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Thread Starter #15
With anyone but you, I'd take the post seriously. For anyone else, open the hood and connect to jumper post.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
For example when I got my 2015 HC the sound system sounded like the speakers were playing through a cheap Kazoo - really bad. Then there was an uConnect update and it was fixed.
My '18's stereo sounded like crap, turned the surround sound off. No update, no Uconnect, no problem.

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
My '18's stereo sounded like crap, turned the surround sound off. No update, no Uconnect, no problem.
That was not the problem on my '15 (and many others). It was messed up firmware. Changing the Surround sound (or any other) setting did not fix the issue - believe me I tried everything!