Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Touch Screen / LCD Replacement info

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Figured I'd share this info in case anyone else comes across the screen bubbling / delamination issues.

From my research, there is a common issue with MY's 2017/2018 Touchscreen's (across most FCA 8.4'' screens) where the touchscreen begins to separate from the LCD. Most people report that it starts with bubbling on the screen as if there was a screen protector that is separating. But apparently it's an issue with the glue/adhesion that was used. Also heard that this glue can become liquid-like and drip into the hardware potentially destroying other things in the dash.

It seems that people are reporting this issues more which seems to happen 3-4 years after new (usually out of B2B warranty for most). Mine started a few weeks ago with bubble at the top, then a second bubble, then they merged and just starting getting bigger and bigger. Luckily, I did not have any of the screen ghosting issues...i.e. where the screen starts pushing on screen buttons on it's own. People have reported even it triggering climate changes that can't be undone. I wanted to bite the bullet as quick as possible.

There were 3 options that I was aware of. Full head unit replacement, Touchscreen / LCD replacement and Touchscreen replacement. A brand new head unit goes for over $1,500 and would require a dealer visit to program it to the car's VIN. Touchscreen / LCD replacement which is ~$700. Or trying to just replace the touchscreen and essentially glue it back together yourself, which might be like $200, but good skills are necessary.

I went with the Option 2, as it was the easiest fix. Research showed that the initial Touchscreen / LCD part # ended with (1), whereas it was later revised twice to (2) and finally (3). Most people have reported that the (2)/(3) parts will not bubble or delaminate as they changed the glue. However, these two parts are harder to come by. The (1) parts seem readily available on ebay, but will ultimately delaminate again. I found a seller who had (2) part and contacted him via ebay. By the time he responded, he had sold it, but confirmed he was ordering an (3) batch, mostly for his repair business, but a few more to sell on ebay. He gave me a headsup and I ordered the (3) right away. I believe it was $650, plus tax, plus $9 shipping from CA; so it wasn't like I had to wait for it to be imported from China.

The below Youtube video will walk you through the entire removal and install process (not mine, but very informative). This is VERY easy and I think anyone that can turn a screw driver could do it. The only snag I had was removing the interior trim (Challenger ); the upper right side would not pop off; was using plastic interior trim removal tools. That one clip ended up breaking off...I think the clip was defective from the factory as I had a real hard time removing it from the bracket even after it broke off from the trim. I just super glued it back on and it popped right back in no problem upon reinstall.

Below is a picture of the old screen where you can see the bubbling. Also is a picture of the part #3, showing the (3) designation. Also attached a picture of the rear connections should you forget where they go.

Hope this helps someone when/if the issue arises on theirs. At very least, hope to save you a little bit of coin by not replacing the whole thing or buying the compromised part as a replacement.

Ebay Seller Old Screen.jpg New Screen.jpg Rear Connections.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293468807390?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
We had some screen issues on my wife’s 18 DSRT. It was like it had a mind of its own, randomly selecting different things. She has an extended warranty so it was covered. I believe about $1200. $800ish part+$400ish labor. But we only paid $100 deductible as per the agreement. She has that deal to 114k miles and has about 45k now so yeah in her case it’s worth it

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #3
We had some screen issues on my wife’s 18 DSRT. It was like it had a mind of its own, randomly selecting different things. She has an extended warranty so it was covered. I believe about $1200. $800ish part+$400ish labor. But we only paid $100 deductible as per the agreement. She has that deal to 114k miles and has about 45k now so yeah in her case it’s worth it
Yea, was probably related. Have heard people have the ghosting issues with no bubbling too.

I did notice some goo was accumulating at the bottom of the old screen even though it wasn’t bubbling on the bottom.
In my research, people that have had it replaced under warranty have had refurbd units, so you really don’t know what you’re getting. But with that extended warranty I’m sure you’re good for a while.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That waz very informative and I will set the info into a folder. Thanks for all that.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County