Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thoughts on "blown motor"

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
A month or two ago I hired a young kid to work one of my locations. Turns out he has a Challenger scat pack (or whatever, I haven't paid much attention to it). Definitely not factory exhaust. Loud. So he comes in the other day and announces that "he had to take the car in to get fixed." I say "okay, what happened?" He says they told him "the motor needs to be replaced; we found fragments of meta in the oil and we always replace the motor when that happens."

I was in a hurry, so didn't get any more information, and in fact didn't really even think about what he said until later. I'm about to go see him, when I make payroll. Will ask for greater detail.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Dealerships don’t repair as much as they replace, so that would be the reasoning behind that.
There must have been some indicator of a problem BEFORE they found “fragments” in the oil. I wonder what those were.

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
If he blew a 6.4L he wasn’t paying attention to his oil levels. I know there have been a few that had oil consumption issues, but nothing crazy enough to blow one up.

Also, make sure you get an accurate description of what he means by metal.
I typically find that people with the 5.7L or the v6 models go for the louder exhaust systems.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #4
Only brief info. He bought the car with 55K on the clock. They gave a 103,000 mile warranty. Car started misfiring - he took it in, they say "metal in the oil" (no details - which is what i wanted). They also say they have to have the inspector in to look at car before they can do anything. Inspector arrived today and they had previously said they would call to get permission to tear into motor for inspection, but they never called. Interesting turn of events. Kid raced the car, but never abused it by my definition of abuse (according to him).