Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thinking of an E.V. truck for towing?...think again

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Not sure what I would've done in that situation.
Keep charging the dumb pickup, or leave it behind and drive the Furd. Neither would be appealing.

Most likely I would've stopped at a Dodge/Ram/Jeep dealer and bought something decent, letting the dealer figure out what to do with the crap they got in trade.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I think this electric push is one of two scenarios...
1 - They really are too stupid to realize the issues around full electric vehicles. Some areas not highlighted in this stupidity are what about those electric car owners that live in apartments or high density areas? What about the cost of buying these new green toys for those struggling with putting food on the table? (I know these are only minor issues to some already mentioned, but huge if they are your issues)

2 - The morons are doing this intentionally. Combine this with the election "issues", Covid, the supply chain problems, the building pipeline changes, the not letting us drill for our own oil, the not letting a good problem go to waste, the push for "diversity" (at least when it's those on your side of the aisle), ignoring any BLM atrocities, etc, etc. and it looks way too intentional for this to have gotten where it is by coincidence!!!

What do I think?

#2 fits way more than the stupidity or any kind of an senility excuse - someone is steering this sh- - and it ain't Brandon...

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
^^^^ I believe it's fully #2....forces of evil against forces of good. We are under attack, and they merely create a list of "issues" as their strategy to continually strike fear into those weak-minded, low information (naïve), and/or oblivious people who will do anything they say in their quest to control every aspect of your life, while they aim to "reduce" population. Ever wonder what happened to the hole in the ozone layer that was due to end life on earth, and very soon (in the 1980s-90's - good ol Al Gore :mad:), causing billions of dollars impact on the world on changing from the best performing refrigerants to the ones we have now that are substandard??? How about "global warming"? Enough people got wise to that sham and they had to rename it "climate change" to keep it alive. Duh, the earth's climate has been changing forever, and will continue to until the end of time, and the effects of carbon have no great impact. For gosh sakes, the earth and life are all carbon-based in one form or another. All of these tactics eventually run out of steam, forcing them to go to the next one to keep the fear "fresh", but the damage done to people, freedom, and livelihoods is significant and real along the way. Forcing this EV shit on us is just another on their list. If you let free markets operate without manipulation, they will automatically determine when an alternative technology will take over, because it will be the lowest cost/most efficient way to do something. EVs had a go at this in the early 1900's in cars, and it was quickly eliminated because hydrocarbon fuels are for more energy dense and practical, still are after a 100+ years, and will be indefinitely. Just my opinion.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
1 - They really are too stupid to realize the issues around full electric vehicles. Some areas not highlighted in this stupidity are what about those electric car owners that live in apartments or high density areas? What about the cost of buying these new green toys for those struggling with putting food on the table? (I know these are only minor issues to some already mentioned, but huge if they are your issues)

2 - The morons are doing this intentionally. Combine this with the election "issues", Covid, the supply chain problems, the building pipeline changes, the not letting us drill for our own oil, the not letting a good problem go to waste, the push for "diversity" (at least when it's those on your side of the aisle), ignoring any BLM atrocities, etc, etc. and it looks way too intentional for this to have gotten where it is by coincidence!!!

What do I think?

#2 fits way more than the stupidity or any kind of an senility excuse - someone is steering this sh- - and it ain't Brandon...

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

What do I think?

Isn't it time to just say, NO?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Both of you above got it 100% right enuf said!

Going to mod the current hybrid Redeye (burns fuel and rubber) and if necessary it will burn MORE gas. Because? I can!!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Looks like I'll be going on a 1,100 mile trip soon, towing a Challenger. Total weight should be a bit under 20,000 lbs., but wind resistance won;t be all that bad with a flatbed gooseneck and a car on it.

Similar weight for the return trip. I figure it'll take me about 15 hours each way, with one stop for fuel.

Anybody care to calculate how long these trips would take with an E.V.?
30 days...and 30 nights...o_O

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
Learning on the fly

1658927578633.png

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
These idiots are getting a dose of exactly what they deserve...reality, that they have been duped, and are NOT saving the planet or anything else! Hopefully, they smarten up :)

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The sheep are running to buy this crap.
How far out should we setup for the party, gunny?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
You can not fix stupid.
sure you can...zip tie a plastic bag over their heads..and check on them every other hour...bet that little fist fucker Fauci could get em to do it...;)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Looks like I'll be going on a 1,100 mile trip soon, towing a Challenger. Total weight should be a bit under 20,000 lbs., but wind resistance won;t be all that bad with a flatbed gooseneck and a car on it.

Similar weight for the return trip. I figure it'll take me about 15 hours each way, with one stop for fuel.

Anybody care to calculate how long these trips would take with an E.V.?
Maybe time for an update on the trip.

Turned out to be 1,028 miles total, and with an average of 64.25 mph, about 80% on nice curvy 2-lane roads.

Having fueled up in southern Colorado last time, I knew I wouldn't make it to Salt Lake City and back without getting fuel...which I did, once.

Now, had I done this trip with an EV, well, you wouldn't be reading this. I would've killed myself, long before even reaching SLC.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
I just towed one of these R-Pods from DC to Michigan and back with the EcoDiesel (720 miles each way). Could barely tell it was back there. While I had to stop and get gas twice each way (that trip is normally one gas stop), I wasn't on the side of the road charging my truck.